Scared of flying?

Overkilled

Im not usually scared of flying Id say im well travelled for my age but ive never been outside of Europe or on a flight more than a few hours. Im going to New york in about 12 days and all the stuff happening in France is making me a bit hesitant of flying on a 7 hour flight to the so called capital of the world 

The odds of dying in a plane crash are very high, id rather drive.

I'm in the same boat really, I've never been out of Europe, furthest I've been is Cyprus. Honestly I wouldn't worry about going to New York, you're probably safer to fly now than at any other time, because airport security will be ridiculously high.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I have faith in the safety of the aircraft im more worried about hijackings surrounding whats going on in Paris

There are too many variables to make a blanket statement like that. I would rather spend an hour in a plane than eight on the ground. Do not forget that planes can glide, so engine malfunction =/= you're dead. Ground communication will  direct the pilots to the nearest airport.

Yes, I know the mere fact of being thousands of feet in the air can still be frightening.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

<_<

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

There are too many variables to make a blanket statement like that.

Especially when the opposite has actually been proven to be the case. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, you should be fine (and Europe probably isn't the place I'd want to be right now anyway....so...)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

<_<

There are too many variables to make a blanket statement like that.

I would rather spend an hour in a plane than eight in on the ground.

im pretty sure the chances of having a car crash is higher you're probably not going to die. Chances of a plane crashing maybe alot lower but if it does crash chances are its fatal

Edit a relative of mine is a air hostess who flies nearly everyday and shes fine although she only flies to Europe and I feel like if anyone was to hijack a plane itd be a plane to New York

I have faith in the safety of the aircraft im more worried about hijackings surrounding whats going on in Paris

There are too many variables to make a blanket statement like that. I would rather spend an hour in a plane than eight in on the ground.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, you should be fine (and Europe probably isn't the place I'd want to be right now anyway....so...)

id rather die from my mistake then someone elses.

im pretty sure the chances of having a car crash is higher you're probably not going to die. Chances of a plane crashing maybe alot lower but if it does crash chances are its fatal

this/\

yes, but if you take the total statistical odds, then the odds of dying in a car crash are still FAR higher (it's not even remotely close). 

id rather die from my mistake then someone elses.

Well, my issue with a plane crash would be that it's going to be a terrifying few minutes leading up to it whereas a car crash is more instantaneous. But you're still far safer in a plane.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The odds of the plane crashing are lower than that of driving.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Y'see, I work on the logic of lightning never strikes the same place twice.

If a plane has already been hijacked, the likelihood of another plane getting hijacked soon after is so unlikely that it isn't really worth the energy needed to think about it.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

the car crash probbly won't kill me

the plane crash will.

Do the mods have a new badge something looks different

the plane crash will.

You're still far more likely to die in a car crash since car crashes are far more common. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

the plane crash will.

Tell that to all the people who have died from a car crash. If you crash in both, your chances of dying have increased significantly. The chances of a plane crashing are lower than that of a car crash.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Do the mods have a new badge something looks different

The "staff" icon was changed a little while ago.

Edit a relative of mine is a air hostess who flies nearly everyday and shes fine although she only flies to Europe and I feel like if anyone was to hijack a plane itd be a plane to New York

Its not fatal.

Your fucking dead if your not near a airport

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

the plane crash wil

The odds are what's important, not the outcome.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

yes, but if you take the total statistical odds, then the odds of dying in a car crash are still FAR higher (it's not even remotely close). 

Well, my issue with a plane crash would be that it's going to be a terrifying few minutes leading up to it whereas a car crash is more instantaneous. But you're still far safer in a plane.

Yeah, not being able to do anything about it is the worst part. Its inevitable the only way id imagine surviving is waiting for the plane to drop to a low enough altitude so it wont kill you and then try and jump out the plane but I think that only works in theory

actually you are more likely to die in a car crash planes are quite safe i have flown them since i was 11 (21 now) never had any problems i have driven since i was about 15ish and have had two bad accidents (one was my fault one wasn't). anyways to the op you are actually safer flying after a recent terrorist attack and hijacking because they tighten security. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Its not fatal.

Your fucking dead if your not near a airport

*being inside the plane while it crashes

There is one great thing im excited about, Im landing in NYC on the 27th. Thats black friday really wanna pick up a 4790k