Mom and Pop Skylake Build

AnkitJha

Hi Guyz,

Could you please suggest a good "Mom and Pop PC"(only multimedia and Web Surfing) Skylake build preferably Micro ATX one.

i can go for DDR3L RAM but i want to go DDR4 instead.Do include case also.

Thanks in advance.

Ankit

CPU:i5-4460; Mobo:Gigabyte H97 D3H; RAM:GSkill Ripjaws X 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz; PSU:Corsair CS550; HDD:WD Blue 1 TB

Case:Corsair Carbide 200R ; Monitor:AOC i2369Vm(1080p IPS) ; Input:Logitech G502,Mk 345 ; GPU:MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Twin Frozer V

And for multimedia and web surfing, no need for Skylake...

^^^^^^

u can literally use a pentium for sutfing xD

^^^^^^

u can literally use a pentium for sutfing xD

Pantium skylakes exist

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Pantium skylakes exist

i thought pentium is an ancient thing that is below I3, that isnt developed anymore

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Czh9gs

Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX
Motherboard: H170M Gigabyte D3H
Processor: Intel Core i3 6100
CPU Cooler: Stock
RAM: Kingston HyperX Black DDR4-2133 (2x4GB)
GPU: Asus AMD R5 230
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD
PSU: Logisys 350W MicroATX

Hope you like it :)

What do you mean by "mom and pop skylake build how to do", that really specific and weird and doesn't make any sense.

Skylake only takes DDR4, RAM is not trans-compatible, you need to learn a little more about what your doing before you try to build a computer if you were going to try to use DDR3 on skylake.

If you are going to learn how to build a PC, the LinusTechTips youtube page and this forum will give you more than enough info.

And lastly, I suspect you of being 9-11 years old and if you are, I wouldn't do something like this right now, and wait a little longer playing games on whatever you have now and just make sure this is what you want to put your money in, because once its built, it'll suck up all you spare money on repairs and upgrades to keep it running and leave money for nothing else.

Shamelessly nicked from pauls hardware 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/paulshardware/saved/ZBPBD3?ref=paul

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

i thought pentium is an ancient thing that is below I3, that isnt developed anymore

Plenty are still made. Look at the G3258 :P  

What do you mean by "mom and pop skylake build how to do", that really specific and weird and doesn't make any sense.

Skylake only takes DDR4, RAM is not trans-compatible, you need to learn a little more about what your doing before you try to build a computer if you were going to try to use DDR3 on skylake.

If you are going to learn how to build a PC, the LinusTechTips youtube page and this forum will give you more than enough info.

And lastly, I suspect you of being 9-11 years old and if you are, I wouldn't do something like this right now, and wait a little longer playing games on whatever you have now and just make sure this is what you want to put your money in, because once its built, it'll suck up all you spare money on repairs and upgrades to keep it running and leave money for nothing else.

What about those B150 motherboards that use DDR3(L)?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

They are still making new Penitum's for both laptop and desktop, and one of the more prominent ones are the anniversary edition and the skylake one which is going to be released soon.

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Czh9gs

Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX

Motherboard: H170M Gigabyte D3H

Processor: Intel Core i3 6100

CPU Cooler: Stock

RAM: Kingston HyperX Black DDR4-2133 (2x4GB)

GPU: Asus AMD R5 230

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

PSU: Logisys 350W MicroATX

Hope you like it :)

Why does this build have a graphics card?

Skylake and DDR3 dont go together

Skylake does actually support DDR3L but not DDR3

Get a haswell i3 or pentium, ddr3 is super cheap so that will save you some, and get a 120gb ssd for around 40 bucks

Why does this build have a graphics card?

because he can always change it himself :) just added it if he wants a gpu with it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Thanks RaptorCandy and Bobhays  for helping me out.I don't have Fractals available in my country so will have to go with another case.

Do ATX PSUs fit in microATX cases...?

hmm thinking whether to go with

(H170M D3H + i3 6100) 

OR

(i3-4130+ H97M D3H+ 120GB SSD).

I have a 500GB HDD  from my old PC.

Please Advise ...

CPU:i5-4460; Mobo:Gigabyte H97 D3H; RAM:GSkill Ripjaws X 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz; PSU:Corsair CS550; HDD:WD Blue 1 TB

Case:Corsair Carbide 200R ; Monitor:AOC i2369Vm(1080p IPS) ; Input:Logitech G502,Mk 345 ; GPU:MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Twin Frozer V

A hyperthreaded Pentium 4 is good enough for those basic requirements. 

Thanks RaptorCandy and Bobhays  for helping me out.I don't have Fractals available in my country so will have to go with another case.

Do ATX PSUs fit in microATX cases...?

hmm thinking whether to go with

(H170M D3H + i3 6100) 

OR

(i3-4130+ H97M D3H+ 120GB SSD).

I have a 500GB HDD  from my old PC.

Please Advise ...

ATX PSU can fit into MATX case. Here I got one for you.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $579.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-13 07:22 EST-0500

I wanna try out with CX PSU because it's not gaming. So the PSU MIGHT be able to handle it and won't burn

Skylake does support DDR3, Gigabyte have the motherboard that supports DDR3

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5488#ov

DDR3 runs most commonly at 1.5 volts which can damage the skylake cpu. Intel has warned about using DDR3 with Skylake.

DDR3L runs most commonly at 1.35 volts which wont damage the skylake cpu.

DDR4 runs most commonly at 1.2 volts which is perfectly fine.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/anton-shilov/intel-prolonged-usage-of-ddr3-memory-at-default-voltages-can-damage-skylake/

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

DDR3 runs most commonly at 1.5 volts which can damage the skylake cpu. Intel has warned about using DDR3 with Skylake.

DDR3L runs most commonly at 1.35 volts which wont damage the skylake cpu.

DDR4 runs most commonly at 1.2 volts which is perfectly fine.

Then DDR3L for safe

ATX PSU can fit into MATX case. Here I got one for you.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $579.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-13 07:22 EST-0500

I wanna try out with CX PSU because it's not gaming. So the PSU MIGHT be able to handle it and won't burn

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/anton-shilov/intel-prolonged-usage-of-ddr3-memory-at-default-voltages-can-damage-skylake/

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

Then DDR3L for safe

then remove ddr3 from your pc list!