How often to touch a psu in order to ground yourself when building a pc?

So I dont want to give money to buy a antistatic wrist band when Im building my gaming pc this month and I see in youtube that you can use the power supply plugged in but turned off and just touch it to make sure you dont destroy the pc parts when building the pc! So I would just like to know, how often do I need to touch it and does it matter how and where? Just to make sure the parts are 100% safe from the static electricity :D

Thank you :)

An antistatic wristband is $5 or less. Can't you fit one in your budget? It will help a lot.

Yes but why when I can use the psu and its free :D

Because the alternative is one static charge release making your brand new PC useless. Or $5 ;)

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So I dont want to give money to buy a antistatic wrist band when Im building my gaming pc this month and I see in youtube that you can use the power supply plugged in but turned off and just touch it to make sure you dont destroy the pc parts when building the pc! So I would just like to know, how often do I need to touch it and does it matter how and where? Just to make sure the parts are 100% safe from the static electricity :D

Thank you :)

It isn't really necessary, but if you are going to once every 2-3 minutes should be more than enough. If you do kill something just return it saying it was DOA

Yes but why when I can use the psu and its free :D

Mainly because it's the safer way of making sure parts are 100% safe, but to be honest it's really personal preference which you find easier.

Because the alternative is one static charge release making your brand new PC useless. Or $5 ;)

It wont be if you touch the psu .. which is $0 ! ;)

Do you know what's going to destroy your build? If you don't heed literally everyone's warnings to you and buy a corsair cx. Get the supernova.

It wont be if you touch the psu .. which is $0 ! ;)

Really? Go ahead and make that bet. Make sure you put the topic of why your PC won't post in the right section. :D

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Unless you live in an area where you get frequency shocked, you shouldn't need to do it too often - if you get shocked a lot, ground yourself with heel straps, ankle straps, or a wrist strap. I touch a power supply every few minutes in my area.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you don't heed literally everyone's warnings to you and buy a corsair cx.

A CX power supply is most likely not going to blow up or destroy his hardware.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

A CX power supply is most likely not going to blow up or destroy his hardware.

But come on, get the supernova right? His build is pretty good, I'd hate to see it be destroyed because of cheaping out in one department.

Luckily, he's buying a supernova.

Okey guys .. first of all .. im gonna get the supernova g2 850w psu .. so chill about that damn psu .. second .. I see most of you say that I dnot need a wristband! 

Really? Go ahead and make that bet. Make sure you put the topic of why your PC won't post in the right section. :D

I will .. my friend has build over 10 pcs and never used one .. he is fine .. so as all the other people that say that as well ;)

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=SEVOEM0064

if I were to buy this how do I use it. Like I understand put the strap around my ankle but what do I do with the crocodile thing?

You can connect it to your power supply's housing when it's turned off and plugged in.

You can connect it to your power supply's housing when it's turned off and plugged in.

okay sounds good

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

I didn't use one and my PC is fine. But ground yourself every few minutes and don't wear socks. Don't forget about latent ESD. 

I own wrap but don't use it anymore. I ground myself before installing CPU and thats it. But I always build on wooden table or on top of cardboard box. Never on anything with cloth surface. Nor I use clothes that produce static. Like pluffy woolly shirts. Or go rub a cat or roll on carpet while building.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Owning an anti-static wrist band / matt is safe but not necessary. From experience you really don't need one, although the chance of breaking your PC from electric discharge is probably 1%.

Don't believe me? Look at all of those popular computer channels such as Austin Evan's, Tek Syndicate, Awesomesauce Network, etc. I have not seen them use an anti-static device while building. Usually they'll use the PSU method to ground themselves. Linus does use a wrist band, and that's perfectly fine and recommended, but it isn't necessary.

Is it a bad habit? Well no, but it also isn't professional. Just remember to NOT build on carpet. There is always a slight chance of damaging your parts, albeit it's very slim.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460; MOBO: ASRock H97M-PRO4; RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1600MHz; SSD: A-Data SP600 128GB; HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB; GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB; PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W; Case: Thermaltake Core V21 w/ AF140 blue LED fan (exhaust); Monitor: Acer H226HQLBid 21.5" 60Hz 5ms IPS (GTG) HDMI