Is it worth getting an antivirus software for Windows 8?

Z3G

Windows 8 has Windows Defender so you don't really need any other anti-virus software but, you can install something like Avast if you want to. I have been using Windows 8 for a good 4 months now with only Defender and its been doing great protecting my PC from harmful stuff. 

THE PIT VIPER SPECS

4790k @ 4.7ghz  (EVGA CLC 360MM) | 32GB Patriot Viper Extreme @2133 mhz | Asus Z97-DELUXE Cooler Master H500M.| EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

I just want to point out to everyone who said no,you don't need an AV, there is this thing called an iFrame.

I'm not going to explain it all, if you're interested, here are some links

Framing

iFrames

But basically, iFrames can actually be used to load viruses and other stuff onto your computer, and even if you use common sense, and don't download anything, you can still get a virus just by visiting an infected webpage.

Here's a walk through on what you can actually do with an iFrame of course, the flaw was patched.

@TheArium

Yep, exactly.

@Z3G

@kuddlesworth9419

@Lyons

@greg2126

@simtransporter

Ineresting stuff. Never heard about it before.

I never said you do not need an anti virus. I said common sense is very much needed.

I'll say this right now. YES you do need antivirus software on your computer. Preferably one with real time scanning.

That being said we were talking about windows 8. Now unless he disabled it. Microsoft security essentials is installed and enabled by default. MSE is a pretty darn good scanner for one that is free.

If you want a better virus scanner you should look at some of the paid solutions. Kaspersky and McAfee. Ect.

Kaspersky is too expensive for me and I just really don't like the McAfee :D I got a free month or something of it on my Asus laptop and I didn't like it at all.

As for now I'm staying with Windows defender (aka MSE), but Avast sounds pretty good too so maybe I'll try it later.

Ineresting stuff. Never heard about it before.

Kaspersky is too expensive for me and I just really don't like the McAfee :D I got a free month or something of it on my Asus laptop and I didn't like it at all.

As for now I'm staying with Windows defender (aka MSE), but Avast sounds pretty good too so maybe I'll try it later.

Kaspersky isn't that great of an AV, there are much better ones.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Kaspersky isn't that great of an AV, there are much better ones.

I disagree that Kaspersky isn't a good AV program. Certainly there are ones out there that are just as good, but independent, 3rd party tests (They are done every year, there are even multiple orgs that do them), consistently places Kaspersky at or near the top of AV programs.

Also, in my personal experience, Kaspersky has been fantastic. Fairly easy to use, with more advanced network/firewall settings available, it NEVER bugs me unless something horrible is happening, and it doesn't bog down or slow down my system.

I've tried a fair number of AV programs, and Kaspersky is easily one of my favourites.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I disagree that Kaspersky isn't a good AV program. Certainly there are ones out there that are just as good, but independent, 3rd party tests (They are done every year, there are even multiple orgs that do them), consistently places Kaspersky at or near the top of AV programs.

Also, in my personal experience, Kaspersky has been fantastic. Fairly easy to use, with more advanced network/firewall settings available, it NEVER bugs me unless something horrible is happening, and it doesn't bog down or slow down my system.

I've tried a fair number of AV programs, and Kaspersky is easily one of my favourites.

You're right, I retract my statement. I just looked up the scores and Kaspersky performance has improved quite alot.

I was basing my statement off the half dozen computers I've helped friends fix that had Kaspersky installed, and they seemed to be quite laggy as kaspersky was intensely using resources. I guess they were using old versions that they didn't update.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You're right, I retract my statement. I just looked up the scores and Kaspersky performance has improved quite alot.

I was basing my statement off the half dozen computers I've helped friends fix that had Kaspersky installed, and they seemed to be quite laggy as kaspersky was intensely using resources. I guess they were using old versions that they didn't update.

No worries. Many software often started out buggy but then over time and revision became badass. I have noticed that old versions of Kaspersky, running on older hardware (XP era stuff specifically) can be quite slow. I haven't seen a new version of Kaspersky on XP though, since, well, you shouldn't be using XP anymore :P

I find that Avast is hands down, the best AV for Windows XP/older slower hardware in my opinion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)