First Major Update for Windows 10 Available Today

Fabri91

Does it bring Cortana to Australia?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

"All your files are exactly where you left them"

-Splash screen during the install.

"This app is no longer available"

"Speccy was removed from your PC"

-Notification right after the install.

Oh and thanks for installing all your garbage apps again Microsoft, like for example OneDrive and Photos.

I really appreciate how installing an OS update deletes programs I have installed myself, and then reinstalls programs I have manually removed.

Wanna know something else that's great? How the update changed my default PDF reader from Sumatra to fucking Microsoft Edge. Is that how you're going to get more people to use your fucking garbage browser? By sneakily changing their default programs to it? Fuck off Microsoft.

I was actually kind of excited for this update but the way Microsoft keeps kicking sand is their customers' faces is really starting to piss me off.

Oh and thanks for installing all your garbage apps again Microsoft, like for example OneDrive and Photos.

I really appreciate how installing an OS update deletes programs I have installed myself, and then reinstalls programs I have manually removed.

Wanna know something else that's great? How the update changed my default PDF reader from Sumatra to fucking Microsoft Edge. Is that how you're going to get more people to use your fucking garbage browser? By sneakily changing their default programs to it? Fuck off Microsoft.

I was actually kind of excited for this update but the way Microsoft keeps kicking sand is their customers' faces is really starting to piss me off.

Those issues sound rather minor in the grand scheme of things.. be glad your PC booted after the update.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | RAM: G.Skill 32Gb at 3200Mhz | GPU:  GTX 1080ti

Windows 10 does weird things. I always shut down my notebook and atm i have an up time of 5 damn days, no idea why.

In notebooks or laptops it doesnt kill the computer entirely. It just save the session then reopen it again once you turn it on again. You can disable it in the settings. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

No updates showing for me :(

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Files, not programs. Sure it could try and keep program data but the program would probably be broken...

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I got a blue screen after opening Speccy after reinstalling it, so there might be a reason for it removing it...

5 years guys. the Linux fleet of sailboats is coming over the horizon to rescue us from the Windows Titanic, and the fleet is getting bigger!

That's only because the world population grows. As much as linux fanboys keep spamming the shit out of everything pc related, your OS is actually on neutral.

The OS can only do so much. If your hardware sucks (in power consumption/efficiency), then that is not Microsoft fault.

If your manufacture went "Yea yea.. Win10 drivers.. our intern did a quick port overnight, whatever we'll tell our customer to buy the new model", and you lose power efficiency, then again, it is not Microsoft fault.

doesn't mean they shouldn't pull neat tricks like Apple does sometimes..

for example the iPad Pro sets the refresh rate to 30 Hz when you aren't touching it, and it will immediately go to 60 Hz once you touch it. Yet it's smart enough that games where you don't have to touch the screen aren't affected. 

It's neat things like this that can be implemented that will save tons of battery life. This is just an example but I'm sure there are many more, perhaps others from other coorperations too. not just apple.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yeah, this is a good update. Colored title bars, too. 

i already did that somehow... i dont remember, does this mean whatever i did in the system files will get corrupt now? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Does it fix the start menu not working half the time?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Files, not programs. Sure it could try and keep program data but the program would probably be broken...

Don't try and argue semantics with me. They deleted files from my computer without asking. Programs are made out of files.

They deleted programs and files, as well as reinstalled ones I had uninstaller before. That should not happen. Stop defending bullshit behaviour like this.

Updates to Windows should have no business touching the programs I installed myself.

I got a blue screen after opening Speccy after reinstalling it, so there might be a reason for it removing it...

That is not an excuse. An OS update should never delete personal files without asking first. Not even anti virus software delete viruses without asking first. Would you be happy if they deleted all your personal photos because there was some bug that caused jpeg files to Bluescreen? They should at the best least ask.

Edit:

Just noticed that it also fucked up my locale. Instead of having a Swedish keyboard layout with English display language, and Japanese keyboard as the secondary one, it has now changed my entire locale to US (giving me AM/PM clock instead of 24:00, changing the date formats etc) and it has also changed my languages to:

English (display) with English keyboard layout.

Swedish (display) with Swedish keyboard layout.

English (display) with Norwegian keyboard layout.

English (display) with Japanese layout (Microsoft's IME).

English (display) with Japanese layout (Google's IME).

It's like Windows just had a mental breakdown because it didn't know which language I wanted (even though I had manually went in and edited everything to be exactly how I wanted before) so it just added all the languages I might have been interested in.

Really shitty job with this update.

i already did that somehow... i dont remember, does this mean whatever i did in the system files will get corrupt now? 

I did too. When you upgrade, just go into settings - personalization and turn the 'show color on taskbar, start, etc.' off and on again. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Thats odd

due to it actually going into hibernate and not actually shutting down. Aparently its been a feature since Win8.

Don't try and argue semantics with me. They deleted files from my computer without asking. Programs are made out of files.

They deleted programs and files, as well as reinstalled ones I had uninstaller before. That should not happen. Stop defending bullshit behaviour like this.

Updates to Windows should have no business touching the programs I installed myself.

That is not an excuse. An OS update should never delete personal files without asking first. Not even anti virus software delete viruses without asking first. Would you be happy if they deleted all your personal photos because there was some bug that caused jpeg files to Bluescreen? They should at the best least ask.

Edit:

Just noticed that it also fucked up my locale. Instead of having a Swedish keyboard layout with English display language, and Japanese keyboard as the secondary one, it has now changed my entire locale to US (giving me AM/PM clock instead of 24:00, changing the date formats etc) and it has also changed my languages to:

English (display) with English keyboard layout.

Swedish (display) with Swedish keyboard layout.

English (display) with Norwegian keyboard layout.

English (display) with Japanese layout (Microsoft's IME).

English (display) with Japanese layout (Google's IME).

It's like Windows just had a mental breakdown because it didn't know which language I wanted (even though I had manually went in and edited everything to be exactly how I wanted before) so it just added all the languages I might have been interested in.

Really shitty job with this update.

All of this is what happens when you do an OS upgrade. Its nothing new and has always been this way so get over yourself.

An update did it, not a reinstall?

I can confirm that after the update Microsoft have re installed all the Apps I purposely un installed. I think they might re set some settings I've changed as well.

I'm not happy about this.

The colour update is nice however the setting for the start / task bar etc to become more transparent doesn't go far enough IMO

All of this is what happens when you do an OS upgrade. Its nothing new and has always been this way so get over yourself.

It shouldn't be this way. Kernel updates shouldn't break userspace.

Speccy portable is the first thing I run when dealing with a PC I never worked on, just to know what exactly is inside. Not being able to use it anymore would be quite the inconvenience.

Actually it WILL be an inconvenience. The only times I come into contact with Win10 nowadays is when people ask me to revert their PC/laptop to Win8.1 or Win7. When they don't have the drivers, Speccy provides all the info I need to get them.

Why is it only LAwLz that has these problem.

If a program does not exists after installation it is because:

1- The program is poorly programmed to a point that it screws up with upgrade system so Microsoft black list it, and you should definitely stop using the software. It probably modifies system files, something it SHOULD NOT do.

2- The setup of the program has been poorly made where it is missing elements to properly register itself with Windows, so Windows can't re-install it or transfer it after the update.

If you REALLY like the software and you think it is teh best thing since slice bread, it so good you can't find better alternative, then contact the developers behind the software and ask ti fix their crap. If other software has no issues, let alone bigger and more complex, than this one should not too.

1- The program is poorly programmed to a point that it screws up with upgrade system so Microsoft black list it, and you should definitely stop using the software. It probably modifies system files, something it SHOULD NOT do.

2- The setup of the program has been poorly made where it is missing elements to properly register itself with Windows, so Windows can't re-install it or transfer it after the update.

If you REALLY like the software and you think it is teh best thing since slice bread, it so good you can't find better alternative, then contact the developers behind the software and ask ti fix their crap. If other software has no issues, let alone bigger and more complex, than this one should not too.

Yeah... other than a few aesthetic looks that bother me and turning off Cortana and Data Mining, I haven't had a single problem with W10. All these people blame the OS for shit that it didnt do, and others don't try it because "Its just as bad as the last one" lol

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

Actually Rix_77 has already confirmed the re-installation of programs and the changing of settings.

As for Speccy being removed, all it does regarding the system is probe it for details. You can even get it in portable version from the developer's own site, so it's not like it patches in to the OS. It can even run without a registry entry

Speccy BTW is from Piriform, the people behind CCleaner. So it's not like a couple of amateur coders are at work here.

Nope, this is entirely on Microsoft. They broke an application that worked perfectly fine before and decided to blacklist it instead of fixing their own crappy coding.

Nope, this is entirely on Microsoft. They broke an application that worked perfectly fine before and decided to blacklist it instead of fixing their own crappy coding.

Can you run it now? If so, then it is not black listed.

It falls only point #2.

If it is portable, than it will remain where you put it (say Documents folder), and work.

It shouldn't be this way. Kernel updates shouldn't break userspace.

Speccy portable is the first thing I run when dealing with a PC I never worked on, just to know what exactly is inside. Not being able to use it anymore would be quite the inconvenience.

Actually it WILL be an inconvenience. The only times I come into contact with Win10 nowadays is when people ask me to revert their PC/laptop to Win8.1 or Win7. When they don't have the drivers, Speccy provides all the info I need to get them.

But they do and kinda always have on the windows side of things... I have done enough upgrades throughout the years staring with 95>98. So it's definitely a thing. Now I'm not saying that is how it should be but it does happen.

With my upgrade from 8.1>10 nothing changed minus my AV getting uninstalled which I expected being that there are Win10 specific versions or updates for AVs. It done this for just about every upgrade I have preformed (50+ by now probably). For my personal update all of my user settings in control panel stayed the same. Well at least the ones that didnt have options change. But I do have a MS account linked so it could have potentially just pulled through that.

I just look at device manager or the spec list for the computer? Heck might crack it open if necessary...

I still see next to no reason why you would want to downgrade. If anything the install might just be busted since there was an upgrade done. That or no one ever tried giving it updated Win10 drivers.

The cleanest upgrades I've seen for win10 are usually from a proper UEFI/GPT win8.1 install. Win7 PCs especially early ones are the worst. Those are usually fixed either by proper drivers directly from the parts manufacturer or a clean install with that stuff.

Forgot to mention new features of the new version of Windows 10:

Messaging app with Cortana integration.

If you have a Windows 10 Mobile device and your PC runs Windows 10 latest build, you can send message with Cortana from your PC, and inform you of missed calls on your PC.

It must be noted that the new Messaging app doesn't integrate this, so it is pretty limited. But it is interesting to see some first step in Windows 10 integrating in a way Windows 10 Mobile.

I think it is safe to assume SMS from the PC can be possible in the future.

Automatic time zones

Now, Windows 10 can now change your time zones based on where you are. Great for those who travel a lot.

Cast to device

Windows 10 supports DLNA and Miracast, and Edge and Movies & TV app allows you to cast its content to a compatible device.

I never had anything like this happen when I updated Windows 7. Not even after major updates like service packs.

An update did it, not a reinstall?

Yes an update. I did not reinstall the OS. I clicked update in the settings program. From what I can tell it did not delete anything else, but I have not looked through all my files yet. Since it decided to change my default PDF reader it might have changed other settings too without telling me.

Other people have already posted that they have noticed the same behavior.

If you have deleted programs such as Groove Music and the Photos app then they will be reinstalled after the update.

1) I don't see what business Microsoft has with blacklisting programs and then deleting them from my computer without even asking first. Again, not even anti-virus programs are this aggressive. I also really dislike that Microsoft has the ability to remotely removes files from my computer and are already using it. I reinstalled Speccy just now and other than showing my SSD as being 0GB in size it works flawlessly.

2) But it's just an update. Nothing should have to be reinstalled or transferred. The program was not even installed on the same disk as the OS is. Hell, an OS update really should not be touching user files at all. It should only modify the files required to install the update. Nothing more and nothing less.

I just look at device manager or the spec list for the computer? Heck might crack it open if necessary...

Speccy shows far more information than device manager does.

After having gone through the settings and changed the things I noticed back to as they were before everything seems fine. The new snap feature has already come in handy and I really like it so far.

So just to be clear, I do not dislike this update. I think it brings some very big improvements. What I don't like is that Microsoft is remotely removing programs and files from my computer while at the same time telling me "All your files are exactly where you left them". They were flat out lying straight to my face. I also don't like that they are remotely installing new programs and changing the default one for certain file extensions. I changed the default program for a reason. Don't silently change it back without telling me.