how to overclock a I5-6400

I was reading online that you can increase the BCLK and stuff like that, but I need some better information any help would be nice 

If I’m not back in five minutes, just wait longer.

increasing the BCLK is VERY RISKY! and not worth it! if u wanted to overclock u need a K chip like the 6700K!

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

u cant that chip is locked u need to get a chip with a "K" in it to be able to OC SciyxIb.jpg

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

increasing the BCLK is VERY RISKY! and not worth it! if u wanted to overclock u need a K chip like the 6700K!

Isn't BCLK overclocking supposed to be easier/less risky on Skylake than it was on Haswell?

Isn't BCLK overclocking supposed to be easier/less risky on Skylake than it was on Haswell?

maybe so, but you won't get much from it compared to multiplier overclockers.

Also it is prone to making your RAM and GPU unstable

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

I'm not sure, but hopefully having the FIVR moved off the CPU would help.

thats what i heard im just trying to get it to 3.6ghz

If I’m not back in five minutes, just wait longer.

u cant that chip is locked u need to get a chip with a "K" in it to be able to OC

Thats both right and wrong. The new skylake CPUs can adjust the BCLK, memory and iGPU without being a K model.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Theoretically yes and it doesn't have the effect on the PCI-E speeds anymore but can affect RAM still. I still haven't seen a very in depth comparison between the BCLK and Ratio based overclocks on skylake but as long as you have a capability to change the baseclock and it's not locked outright I guess see what it can do.

increase base clock and downclock RAM? somewhat easy solution...

RAM speed usually doesn't matter as much these days. since you have DDR4, just keep it above ~1800MHz (default is 2133 on basic ram kits) and you should be fine. 

I always made this worthy trade off when overclocking FX chips.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

No, on skylake, you can increase BCLCK and multiplier only in k CPUs with a Z170 chipset, locked CPUs are still locked, no matter what chipset.

• 1 month later...

Currently Asrock and MSI update they UEFI bios by tempering with microcode , they were able to alow overclocking on NoN-K Skylake CPU on boards with Z170A chip ,there are some downsides to it u have freedom to OC with BLCK but u lose iGPU in your procesor and u cant read the temps , but im sure most of use Dedicated GPU , and to see temps specialy if u overclcok you should get some better MOBO with more PWR phaeses , i work around that problem by useing thermal probe from my old Maximus formula xD , it work great , and my i5 6400 its a solid pice of quarc it holding stable for last 3 days constantly runing on 4995 Mhz  27x185 with coreV 1,515  its preaty hot  on 2 cores even tho im runing just for CPU xspc raistorm 420 , im gona be delliding it tumorrow , difrience of 11 C on core under high performance LC it pointing me toward wrong assambled IHS , but beside that im realy realy happy , my m8 bot 6600k and he is unable to hit stable 4,8Ghz , thank you intel for silicon lottery xD

I also notice that overclocking fsb have "dead spots" from around 127-140 boting stable no problem , than 140-157 dead , than 158 -169 boting and stable on all stability test , than dead till 177 and than agan 178 stab till 189 , i could bot in system with 195 but it wasnt stable and i was pushing coreV to 1,57 to much for my likeing , and sensore next betwin block and IHS was showing a hugh 92 C as soon as i start runing Prime , so nooooop than you ;p

well it is easier and less risky, it different from haswell.

A lot of people on this forum hasnt done so, because their current rig is not skylake etc. 

Or some of them havent keep themselves informed to the lastest tech news.

when you oc locked skylake cpu, igpu will be disabled, you have to disabled turbo boost manually, ram speed will be reduced when increasing BCLK.

When you oc locked skylake cpu, you only messed with vcore and bclk.

if the ram got reduced then you can oc it.

I did that with my i5 6500. cooling is hyper 212 evo.

I achieved 4.3GHz at 1.26v

the ram got reduced from 2133 to 1800, but then I oc it to 2880.

the motherboard you need is msi or asrock z170 because those are the 2 that rolled out the bios update for you to oc the cpu.

It is stable and working perfectly, if you do this on haswell then you will run into instability issue.

• 2 weeks later...

t

well it is easier and less risky, it different from haswell.

A lot of people on this forum hasnt done so, because their current rig is not skylake etc. 

Or some of them havent keep themselves informed to the lastest tech news.

when you oc locked skylake cpu, igpu will be disabled, you have to disabled turbo boost manually, ram speed will be reduced when increasing BCLK.

When you oc locked skylake cpu, you only messed with vcore and bclk.

if the ram got reduced then you can oc it.

I did that with my i5 6500. cooling is hyper 212 evo.

I achieved 4.3GHz at 1.26v

the ram got reduced from 2133 to 1800, but then I oc it to 2880.

the motherboard you need is msi or asrock z170 because those are the 2 that rolled out the bios update for you to oc the cpu.

It is stable and working perfectly, if you do this on haswell then you will run into instability issue.

therefore the mobo was the key to OC these proce? :3 i hope cheaper mobo's with these features will be released in the near future so i can try OCing mg i5 6400

i5 6400 @ 2.7 Ghz     Gigabyte B150M-DRH DDR3     Palit Gtx 750ti Storm X Dual     HyperX Fury 1x8Gb DD3 1866 Mhz

Jesus. So many people in this thread know nothing about Skylake, and still give out advice? Come on people. Overclocking with BCLK on Skylake is as risky as overclocking with a multiplier. In that more heat is added. The clocks are unstrapped for gods sake. 

I was reading online that you can increase the BCLK and stuff like that, but I need some better information any help would be nice 

First of all, you need a qualifying Asus, Asrock, or MSI board with the unlocked BCLK bios. For Asrock, it is any bios that says "Sky OC". Others might have different names. Next, I want to warn you of some downsides before we begin.

#1. You can no longer activate C states. Means no power saving features.

#2. You lose AVX instruction sets. This won't matter for gaming, but if you do heavy compute/math on your computer, you might not want to do it.

#3. Your cache speeds suffer by like, 75%. Seriously. My L1 cache was 820GB/s before overclocking my 6600T, now they are 220GB/s. 

#4: You can no longer use your iGPU when you have your BCLK adjusted.

If none of this bothers you, then lets proceed.

You will want to be mindful of your memory speed the entire step of the way. Make sure that when you adjust the BCLK, that you also adjust the ram strap back to the proper speed (or slightly below it) to prevent your board from having to retrain the memory, and potentially failing to do so. You can always overclock ram afterwards.

Start slow. 5% increments are ideal, and use a simple stress test of your choice (I prefer Linpack, quick and easy, but XTU should work for quick runs) and stress it for 10-15 minutes. If it does not fail, do another 5%. Remember to add vcore when needed, and always be mindful of temps. Eventually, you will reach a point where BCLK cannot be stabilized. Mine was at 161 BCLK. When you reach this state, you need to add more PCH voltage. Only a little bit. 10% at most, but mine managed to work after going from 1.000 to 1.050. You may also need some VCC PLL voltage, and the same rule applies. +/- 10% is 100% safe for 24/7 use. Mine was 1.200, i changed it to 1.250, and it was fine.

Once you reach your desired CPU clock, and it is stable, work on bringing the memory back to its former glory (Or higher, if you have the time) and dial in your timings manually. That way, the board won't accidentally retrain something down the road, causing you a headache. I managed to get my 6600T from 2.7ghz to 4.5ghz on the stock cooler, but your mileage may vary.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Certain manufacturers have managed to enable BCLK overclocking on non-K Skylake parts, but I wouldn't rely on it going forward.  I'd be surprised if Intel allowed this to continue for long; I'd expect them to disable this ability via a firmware update. 

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

For the people above that were 100% incorrect, and to the non-believers, this is me with my 6600T's ITX 24/7 stable speed (Even shows the cache performance loss i mentioned above).

a2dV5Yv.png

As you can see by the "Original: 2700" i am using a 50% overclock at the moment. I also have a 4.5ghz profile, but it will not be suitable for long term use until ASRock Customer Support responds to me, as i found a bug within my BIOS that causes cache fluctuation when going beyond 170BCLK, making it impossible to maintain long term stability. As soon as they get back to me, I will post whether or not they added a cache adjustment function to their bios. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.