My Very Nearly Finished Studio

Dredgy

So I've finally had a few days to tear down my old "studio" and start again.

The idea of this room was to be able to film tech reviews (because I need to justify this camera) on separate sets - one for A roll and one for B roll.

I also wanted to do a 3rd set on a green screen for corporate presentations if I don't feel like recording them at work.

I needed to be able to move my very bulky camera between all three sets with ease, so decided to use a track dolly system to get from point A to point B to point C seamlessly.

The room is about 5x3m.

View from behind the main set desk.

YNYmOAAl.jpg

View from the green screen, looking towards the main set. The table on the right is the B Roll set, and I can get epic sliding shots by just pushing the camera past it.

aMvBzcSl.jpg

View of the B roll set:

j2A63Sql.jpg

View of the main set:

rzoLFiVl.jpg

Camera control from the main set:

HZg55lJl.jpg

Camera:

mh6MbhXl.jpg

Close Up Lens:

F7EQPJwl.jpg

dJudvTBl.jpg

Sample Green Screen Footage:

EJWjBZ5l.jpg

Cnfif7ll.png

Sample Main Set Footage (there are no lights at all pointing at the set here, is all from the CFLs pointing at the greenscreen, so I actually have spare lights I don't need):

0RWY7OPl.jpg

Sample Maco B-Roll (CPU pins. Just lifted out of the preview window of Premiere, not full res. Can pull focus on just couple of pins, and then crop down from 4K to 1080P and get some really interesting shots. Have not shown the really gross one of my skin)

cI7Oq9Yl.png

So that's what I've got so far. Am having a lot of fun testing everything out.

Nice

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Pretty pleased so far. Had a few issues with chroma keying in keylight that aren't present on a DSLR, and had to do a lot of post color work on the shot above. Ultra key on Premiere works fine, but doesn't clip the blacks as well. Should probably have ironed the screen before I taped it to the wall.

Noice :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

And some sample timelapse footage from my balcony

Nice resolution, but you need to do some color grading.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Yea is just straight out of the camera. Still figuring out workflow. Adobe Suite isn't running very well at the moment.

owns an ursa... takes photos of studios on a nokia from 2003

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

owns an ursa... takes photos of studios on a nokia from 2003

If you look very carefully on the left of the bookshelf in the 3rd picture down, you will see I also have a fully functioning Canon DSLR, which is being used as a prop.

If you look very carefully on the left of the bookshelf in the 3rd picture down, you will see I also have a fully functioning Canon DSLR, which is being used as a prop.

lazy :P

(I would do the same ...so yeah)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have been itching to take out my camera to do something besides testing it's capabilities... I may go out and do a Quick Motion today.  1 frame per second.

And you know what a good time-lapse you can do, a time-lapse of your studio setup.

I will be a few days testing I think. Want to know every limit before I do anything important. I had 2 consecutive days off for the first time this year so got to get caught up.

Weird thing with the URSA is when you are in timelapse, it doesn't slow the sensor. So I just tried a night shot and it let it very little light (though looked fine, but no flexibility in post).

So you have to lower the frame rate to 5fps, even when you have the camera set to record one frame per minute.

Also have to point out, I am very interested in videography and the cool tech behind it, but I have zero natural talent for it.

I will be a few days testing I think. Want to know every limit before I do anything important. I had 2 consecutive days off for the first time this year so got to get caught up.

Weird thing with the URSA is when you are in timelapse, it doesn't slow the sensor. So I just tried a night shot and it let it very little light (though looked fine, but no flexibility in post).

So you have to lower the frame rate to 5fps, even when you have the camera set to record one frame per minute.

Also have to point out, I am very interested in videography and the cool tech behind it, but I have zero natural talent for it.

Practice, observation and the following

galaxy-quest.jpg

I'm a self-taught photo and video person.

Looking good, can't wait for myself to be able to set up something like this(more photography orientated though)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.