Windows OEM versions

DJ46

Hi guys,

could someone explain to me how does this work? I thought OEM license will work after 5 computer upgrades and the one sold with a complete set of components (system builder) will be locked to your current board. But reading on the Microsoft website, I found that the system builder has the 5 different computer installation capability, if you know what I'm talking about. I'm shopping for Windows currently so I can work on my rig again and this could speed thing up a lot.

I think I'm confused because retail OEM always had that option and "with a new computer OEM" didn't. I thought the system builder was like the "with a new computer OEM" but it seems it's like the retail one. Does that mean you get full support from Microsoft?

Sorry if you don't really get it where I don't understand, I can describe it better if you ask for something specific.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

OEM can be installed on clean systems, such as a personal build.

However, OEMs can't be installed on laptops. Or at least I could never get it to install on mine (Windows 7 laptop going to Windows 8).

OEM does get full support from Microsoft.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

As far as I am aware the OEM version is locked to just one computer and cannot be installed anywhere else. Whilst the retail one can be installed on one computer at a time.

I found this: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=Qk3dMG76WdK

"System Builder product may not be used:

• As an upgrade license for an existing underlying Windows operating system.
  • To legalize a non-genuine Windows operating system.
  • To license more than five copies of the software (in total) for commercial use."

Which means less then five copies is fine... right?

I'm installing it on "My fiancée" :)

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

Only on clean systems? I'm already saying goodbye to my Win 7 and all my files but does it include the option to format the HDD in the installation process?

Only on clean systems? I'm already saying goodbye to my Win 7 and all my files but does it include the option to format the HDD in the installation process?

Yes. Windows will give the option to format your hard drive. Just boot from the Windows disc or a USB drive and then follow the instructions.

What are you guys talking about?

OEM version of Windows can be installed on any system that follows the Windows version system requirements.

The OEM version of Windows is locked to the motherboard once activated. Which means that if you replace the motherboard, you need to buy a new license of Windows (although, Microsoft is currently cool, and closes their eyes if your motherboard broke and you can't find the same one anymore as it's obsolete or no longer available).

OEM version of Windows can be ONLY installed on 1 computer at a time, unless you have a volume license with Microsoft.

Windows 7 and under, you can't buy and use the OEM license if you build the system (System Builder). Only the PURCHASER of the finished product can use it. (So yourself, if you buy it from yourself).

As a System Builder, you cannot build and sale using OEM license of Windows, of more than 5 for commercial usage. So you can sale build computer for home purposes using Windows OEM version, but no more than 5 for commercial purposes. If you want to sale more than 5, you need a special agreement/license from Microsoft (which actually you want to do, because volume license is cheaper).

What are you talking about? My experince from 2 winxp OEMs, winVista OEM and win7 OEM.

What are you guys talking about?

OEM version of Windows can be installed on any system that follows the Windows version system requirements.

The OEM version of Windows is locked to the motherboard once activated. Which means that if you replace the motherboard, you need to buy a new license of Windows (1) (although, Microsoft is currently cool, and closes their eyes if your motherboard broke and you can't find the same one anymore as it's obsolete or no longer available).

OEM version of Windows can be ONLY installed on 1 computer at a time, unless you have a volume license with Microsoft.

Windows 7 and under, you can't buy and use the OEM license if you build the system (System Builder). Only the PURCHASER of the finished product can use it. (So yourself, if you buy it from yourself). (2)

As a System Builder, you cannot build and sale using OEM license of Windows, of more than 5 for commercial usage. So you can sale build computer for home purposes using Windows OEM version, but no more than 5 for commercial purposes. If you want to sale more than 5, you need a special agreement/license from Microsoft (which actually you want to do, because volume license is cheaper).

1) Ijust changed this type of "locked" oem from Abit mobo to Gigabyte. No problems. Just didn't use key during installation. Microsoft actually has tool for copying activation information if so needed.

2) This part makes no sense. Yes, builders can buy oems. Thats why they are oems. They are supposed to be sold as part of custom system. Retailers "can't" sell you OEM copy unless it comes to a new system. However they can't really verify it. But to make sure, I bought new hdd when I got my win7 OEM.

All laptops are sold with oem keys. You can use laptops old, not in use oem with some other system (have done this with winxp succesfully, system has been running since 2010). Using secondary oem with laptop isn't really good option. OEMs get all updates as normal retail version would. I think that person-to-person support is lacking since OEMs are for advanced users. End user of oem machine should always contact manufacturer or builder first with issues. (Obvious with laptops). I don't know about how many times win7 oem can be reinstalled. With vista it was 10 times. Using it with two or machines at same time is also beyond me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So first, I don't care about laptops.

My problem is that I'm changing my OEM board so I'm losing my license for Windows 7 (even though I'm not changing my HDD).

(right? am I losing it? I'm not sure about anything right about now)

And I see people selling these OEM system builder licenses, not even opened. Great price, but I wanted to know what is this license all about.

1) Ijust changed this type of "locked" oem from Abit mobo to Gigabyte. No problems. Just didn't use key during installation. Microsoft actually has tool for copying activation information if so needed.

So, I'm transferring from an HP (Pegatron) OEM board to a Gigabyte Z68 one. Do I loose my license of Windows 7 Pro FROM HP?

So, I'm transferring from an HP (Pegatron) OEM board to a Gigabyte Z68 one. Do I loose my license of Windows 7 Pro FROM HP?

There's one notable thing with newer brand workstations. Since they use custom mobos, they might have chip that does locking mentioned by @GoodBytes. If thats case, you can't reactivate license on new board.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It was bought in December 2011, called HP Elite 7300MT (so much BS). Sandy bridge CPu, GTX5xx and a Pegatron 2AB5 board.

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/pegatron-2ab5-motherboard-corporation-specs/

If it can be done on these, how do you move your OEM license to your new one? I thought it's impossible, I know nothing about it. Also, I can't get the official .iso file because my key is supposed to be supported by HP a they wouldn't do nothing for their customer.

There's one notable thing with newer brand workstations. Since they use custom mobos, they might have chip that does locking mentioned by @GoodBytes. If thats case, you can't reactivate license on new board.

I can get a code only Windows 7 Pro 64-bit where I pay after successfully installing it. i just want to know if what you're saying is true and if I can save my money and transfer my old license.

I just changed this type of  "locked" oem from Abit mobo to Gigabyte. No problems. Just didn't use key during installation. Microsoft actually has tool for copying activation information if so needed.

Could you get me a tutorial that you used if you used one or help me do this?

Could you get me a tutorial that you used if you used one or help me do this?

http://superuser.com/questions/539714/windows-all-oem-activation

http://piratepixel.blogspot.fi/2011/02/different-ways-to-activate-oem-copy-of.html

Basicly same instructions. But my oem is non-braded.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What are you talking about? My experince from 2 winxp OEMs, winVista OEM and win7 OEM.

2) This part makes no sense. Yes, builders can buy oems. Thats why they are oems. They are supposed to be sold as part of custom system. Retailers "can't" sell you OEM copy unless it comes to a new system. However they can't really verify it. But to make sure, I bought new hdd when I got my win7 OEM.

All laptops are sold with oem keys. You can use laptops old, not in use oem with some other system (have done this with winxp succesfully, system has been running since 2010). Using secondary oem with laptop isn't really good option. OEMs get all updates as normal retail version would. I think that person-to-person support is lacking since OEMs are for advanced users. End user of oem machine should always contact manufacturer or builder first with issues. (Obvious with laptops). I don't know about how many times win7 oem can be reinstalled. With vista it was 10 times. Using it with two or machines at same time is also beyond me.

Well you should read Microsoft documentation:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx

It clearly state what I said. Suggesting things to hack licenses is against forum rules. Doesn't mean it works, that its legal.

READ the above link. Instead of screwing people over, by having one day tight the screw, and now you have a bunch of people forced to buy Windows again.

@GoodBytes, I've read that. I was worried that I'd have to buy new windows license. But after looking over several tech sites that clearly say that oem can be reactivated, I stand behind my words. Using REAL key isn't imo hacking.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

But my oem is non-braded.

But my key is HP branded! Isn't this kinda useless now?

Thanks GoodBytes, gonna get an OEM license.

What type of a licence is this and what info can you give me about it? I'm thinking about buying it. He wants around 60€.

28514224.jpg

(although, Microsoft is currently cool, and closes their eyes if your motherboard broke and you can't find the same one anymore as it's obsolete or no longer available)

I wanted to do so but the website sent me to HP. And they would send me to their service.

Can you do so with any retail OEM license? Or it depends on the mood of the guy you get to talk to?

OEM.

Thanks. I will contact two guys (one with a retail OEM license and guy that sells the one above) and try to push the price to 50€.

I wanted to do so but the website sent me to HP. And they would send me to their service.

Can you do so with any retail OEM license? Or it depends on the mood of the guy you get to talk to?

Thanks. I will contact two guys (one with a retail OEM license and guy that sells the one above) and try to push the price to 50€.

Ok, the license that comes with a manufactured computer is for that computer. Even if the motherboard breaks, you can't transfer it. You need to see with the manufacture. The reason for this, is that the computer manufacture have an event more special price than OEM license one that you see in stores. They have a special deal with Microsoft.

OEM license that you buy in a computer store, that is for system builders. Little guys like us that tries to do a small computer business or for ourselves or family members and such.

For this license, Windows is cool if your motherboard breaks, and it's old computer so you can't buy the same motherboard.

Great. Is Z68 old enough? (if not, will in 1-3 years become old enough?)

That DVD is for OEM istallation but you need to see COA sticker to see if its branded or not. That looks like branded version. My OEM DVD is more like retail dvd.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So, he sold it to someone else...

I'm currently about to buy Win 8 Pro 64 bit DSP OEI. Is 66€ a good price for a second hand one? In shops it's around 130. I googled the OEI type of licence and from what've read, it's the same as OEM except its cheaper. And that its mostly used by smaller system builders that can't afford specially printed labels like HP or Dell can. The thing I'm not sure about is if I get full support for problems from Microsoft like I would with an OEM version.

So, do I get full support for a DSP OEI version of Windows? As support I mean on their website etc.