My Samsung 950 Pro just delivered

TJPC

So I've been wanting to do a clean install of windows 10 and my hard drives have been getting full so its time to upgrade. 

I did a day 1 order of the new samsung pro Im hoping its good and Im replacing my dynamic 1TB drive made of 4 256GB SSDs to one 1TB samsung SSD...

post-193429-0-23454200-1446745041.jpg

post-193429-0-00693500-1446745042.jpg

post-193429-0-80634300-1446745042.jpg

AMD 1800X Water Cool H80i 48GB Ram 980ti EVGA ACX2.0 M.2 (Samsung 950Pro) 1TB Samsung 850 OS:MSX

@TJPC Noice! :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

You know that with those 4 drives you could have made a spanned volume. Have a single one as a boot drive and some other small objects, then span the other ones into "one" drive. That's what I just did with my 3 spare SSDs, it was too hard to figure out which drive was which :C Willing to get rid of those 4 SSDs? I could use some more :P 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Remember to add a heatsink

it has overheating issues, that will damage it over time if you dont cool it correctly

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it has overheating issues, that will damage it over time if you dont cool it correctly

why on earth did they design something that cant adequately cool itself? Like the ref. 290x

why on earth did they design something that cant adequately cool itself? Like the ref. 290x

It doesn't have overheating issues.

You need to write at least around 150GB at once at 1.5GB per second to get the thing to thermal throttle. And because it thermal throttles it doesn't damage itself.

Thermal throttleing only occurs without any airflow. As long as he has good airflow he won't even notice a performance decrease.

As long as your system has good airflow over the M.2 area, you'll be fine. No need to put heatsinks and such. 

Allyn from PCPER review:

"Thermal Throttling

When Samsung announced the 950 PRO, several of you commented on potential thermal throttling due to heat generated in such a small package during heavy use. The following image represents a worst case scenario, with the 950 PRO being sequentially written with zero airflow across it:

950%20PRO%20worst%20case%20throttle.png

As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario."

You know that with those 4 drives you could have made a spanned volume. Have a single one as a boot drive and some other small objects, then span the other ones into "one" drive. That's what I just did with my 3 spare SSDs, it was too hard to figure out which drive was which :C Willing to get rid of those 4 SSDs? I could use some more :P

Id be willing to sell them but I will be taking the 5 drives out and upgrading my business PCs from platter Hard drive to the SSDs, It was one of the ways I could justify the cost. We only use the PCs for web based work and server stuff but it will be an improvement to our current POS setup when cache websites open documents, you know the usual SSD upgrade.

AMD 1800X Water Cool H80i 48GB Ram 980ti EVGA ACX2.0 M.2 (Samsung 950Pro) 1TB Samsung 850 OS:MSX

Ill keep an Eye on the temps I did even know that was an issue but damn thats impressive for an SSD to thermal throttle. 

Im still at work Ill have some data transfer and first impressions tomorrow? 

It doesn't have overheating issues.

You need to write at least around 150GB at once at 1.5GB per second to get the thing to thermal throttle. And because it thermal throttles it doesn't damage itself.

Thermal throttleing only occurs without any airflow. As long as he has good airflow he won't even notice a performance decrease.

if a storage device meant for reading and writing cannot do its job 24/7 at reasonable temperatures that's called "overheating issues"

and it thermal throttles because it gets too hot, which is detrimental to its life span

thermal throttling does not magically make the temperatures go down, it keeps them from going up and instantly killing the device

just because it throttles and keeps itself at some stupid temperature like 60C does not mean that it's perfectly fine and mean to run at those temperatures

and without a heatsink on it, airflow pretty much does nothing

put a fan on a CPU without any heatsink and see how that works out, lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ok so an Update, I am trying to install windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10 because that works for me, but when windows 7 asks what drive I would like to install window 7 into it did not give me the 950 as an option. intact it will not see the drives. Ive tried to mess around in the bios and no dice.... 

Im currently making a UEFI thumb drive with windows 10 on it but in the past this method of installation dose not work for me... 

to be clear in the bios I can see the 950 but its only when I try to select the drive for windows 10 to install is when the drive is hidden. I even checked for M.2 drivers to install but there are none...

suggestions, please?

gigabyte ga-z97x-ud3h-bk

Mt mother board 

ok so an Update, I am trying to install windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10 because that works for me, but when windows 7 asks what drive I would like to install window 7 into it did not give me the 950 as an option. intact it will not see the drives. Ive tried to mess around in the bios and no dice.... 

Im currently making a UEFI thumb drive with windows 10 on it but in the past this method of installation dose not work for me... 

to be clear in the bios I can see the 950 but its only when I try to select the drive for windows 10 to install is when the drive is hidden. I even checked for M.2 drivers to install but there are none...

suggestions, please?

try this method in link below ..but for me not working..I have 950 pro and EVGA Z170 FTW motherboard..Vhen I install windows 7 ..It also not give me as an options..only was able install on samsung 840 pro ssd ..so now i will try clone windows 7 partition to 950 Pro and will see if this will be possible.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2817439/install-windows-x64-sm951-drive.html#16747080

YAMAKASI LEONIDAS 30" LCD 2560x1600 IPS PANEL,Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5

Ok at least I'm not alone on this I think its windows 7 just unable to recognize this new of a drive. 

I also have a Plextor m.2 to PCI adapter I tried that and nothing but Im going to try a different PC....

ugh new tech problems lol  :D

I figured it out, it was the windows 7 OS. I used a UEFI thumb drive to install windows 10 and it saw the NVMe drive right away  :D

I figured it out, it was the windows 7 OS. I used a UEFI thumb drive to install windows 10 and it saw the NVMe drive right away  :D

yes..windows 10 not problem..just windows 7 is more difficult install on evga z170 ftw

YAMAKASI LEONIDAS 30" LCD 2560x1600 IPS PANEL,Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5

Ok its installed but I think I did something wrong mt speeds are slow like 800mbps read and write

post-193429-0-29747500-1446916368_thumb.

Ok its installed but I think I did something wrong mt speeds are slow like 800mbps read and write

Looks like you got pcie gen 2 (or the slot you have it running on is pcie 3.0x1) What is your mobo?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

gigabyte ga-z97x-ud3h-bk

that guy, its plugged directly into the mobo on the M.2 slot I cant find anything in the bios that would limit it but I think I'm over looking something

gigabyte ga-z97x-ud3h-bk

that guy, its plugged directly into the mobo on the M.2 slot I cant find anything in the bios that would limit it but I think I'm over looking something

Z97 chipset cannot use PCIe 3.0x4 for M.2. It is limited to speed of Sata Express 10Gb/s. You need a PCIe adapter plug into a PCIe 3.0 slot to get the maximum potential of the 950 Pro.