Are the LTT edition Noctua fans High Airflow or Static Pressure? [FD Venturi vs LTT fans]

Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Noctua had never told me this but I suspect their fans use static pressure optimized designs because there aren't many performance critical situations where you don't need high static pressure.

Restrictive grills, hard drive cages, heatsink, radiators, small cases jam packed with components - these things all benefit from higher static pressure and are also applicatiosn where a better fan can have a noticeable impact on cooling performance.

A metal wire fan grill at the back or top of the case that just needs to move some air around is pretty much the only place where static pressure actually wouldn't matter, but a couple CFM less or more also wouldn't matter.

Imo calling a fan "airflow optimized" is about like saying "it's good to put in spots where performance frankly doesn't matter anyway".

So that's why LTT edition fans were chosen based on their excellent static pressure performance. A high static pressure fan will perform good enough in every situation whereas a high airflow fan will be marginally better where it doesn't matter and get crapped on where it does.

Better versatility this way.

1) Are the LTT edition Noctua fans High Airflow or Static Pressure?

2) Which would be better for an mITX Core 500 case?

1) there is no exact definition of what is "high airflow" or "high pressure"

they do well at both if thats what youre asking

2) both are good, venturi is cheaper and you get a bit less airflow, but still a great fan

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They are NF-F12s which are fairly balanced but lean more towards higher static pressure.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

They are NF-F12s which are fairly balanced but lean more towards higher static pressure.

Oh. Damn. I'd like the LTT fan, but I wouldn't want to buy an NF-F12 versus an NF-S12A.

Edit: Wait a sec. Are the 140 mm versions equivilent?

Edited by Vozella

120mm LTT fan is static pressure, 140mm LTT fan is airflow.

A14 is a balanced fan and actually has a fair amount of static pressure. My guess not enough demand yet in 140mm for separate SP and AF fans.

A14 is a balanced fan and actually has a fair amount of static pressure. My guess not enough demand yet in 140mm for separate SP and AF fans.

Ah I see.. Yeah that would make sense. Why no 120mm more optimised for airflow fan?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Oh. Damn. I'd like the LTT fan, but I wouldn't want to buy an NF-F12 versus an NF-S12A.

Edit: Wait a sec. Are the 140 mm versions equivilent?

Actually, scratch that. The way the Core 500 is, I think I might need one High Airflow and another Static Pressure so I can still justify getting it. Great.

Ah I see.. Yeah that would make sense. Why no 120mm more optimised for airflow fan?

NF-S12A, actually teh standard S12 was their first fan according to their recent anniversary post.

Noctua had never told me this but I suspect their fans use static pressure optimized designs because there aren't many performance critical situations where you don't need high static pressure.

Restrictive grills, hard drive cages, heatsink, radiators, small cases jam packed with components - these things all benefit from higher static pressure and are also applicatiosn where a better fan can have a noticeable impact on cooling performance.

A metal wire fan grill at the back or top of the case that just needs to move some air around is pretty much the only place where static pressure actually wouldn't matter, but a couple CFM less or more also wouldn't matter.

Imo calling a fan "airflow optimized" is about like saying "it's good to put in spots where performance frankly doesn't matter anyway".

So that's why LTT edition fans were chosen based on their excellent static pressure performance. A high static pressure fan will perform good enough in every situation whereas a high airflow fan will be marginally better where it doesn't matter and get crapped on where it does.

It's a pleasure to get an answer from the man himself. Thank you. 

I mean they do have AF designs as I mentioned the NF-S12A being one. I have used them mostly for unrestricted intakes like open front panel with not cages in the way. Or my most use being a rear intake to balance out or induce slight positive pressure to the case. These could be used for unrestricted outtakes as well but since the proliferation of the AIO cooler in its varying sizes this has become far less common.

I mean they do have AF designs as I mentioned the NF-S12A being one. I have used them mostly for unrestricted intakes like open front panel with not cages in the way. Or my most use being a rear intake to balance out or induce slight positive pressure to the case. These could be used for unrestricted outtakes as well but since the proliferation of the AIO cooler in its varying sizes this has become far less common.

Yes they do have them but compared to the early days when S series was their primary focus it seems to be a bit of a middle child now..

And at least back when I was product managing the line the F series outsold the S series very dramatically as well.

Yes they do have them but compared to the early days when S series was their primary focus it seems to be a bit of a middle child now..

And at least back when I was product managing the line the F series outsold the S series very dramatically as well.

I bought 10x of the LTT NF-F12s.  The only reason I even thought about holding out was because Noctua showed off their new 120mm fans at Computex, but when questioned about it, they would'nt commit to a launch date (it could NEVER launch for all I know).  So, getting one of the best fans out there PLUS helping out LTT and his crew = no brainer.

Yep I mean most builds I do might use one or two usually. Then you have like 4+ F or A series.

I bought 10x of the LTT NF-F12s. The only reason I even thought about holding out was because Noctua showed off their new 120mm fans at Computex, but when questioned about it, they would'nt commit to a launch date (it could NEVER launch for all I know). So, getting one of the best fans out there PLUS helping out LTT and his crew = no brainer.

Yeah I'm interested in that for sure. They should launch a 140mm at the same time as well.

NF-F12 is pressure optimised (vs. the airflow optimised NF-S12A): http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=which_fan_is_right_for_me&lng=en

Noctua has different lines for pressure/airflow optimisation in 120mm only. The NF-A14 is an excellent allrounder that does great both on radiators and as a case fan.

Well there is also the P series which is a bit of both. They however have not been updated to their newest tech.

1) Are the LTT edition Noctua fans High Airflow or Static Pressure?

2) Which would be better for an mITX Core 500 case?

If you read closely the raw specs for both fans you will see that both of them have excellent static pressure and great airflow. So they are best of both worlds.

NF-F12 PWM

Size   120x120x25 mm
Connector   4-pin PWM
Bearing   SSO2
Blade Geometry   Heptaperf™
Frame Technology   Focused Flow™
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%)   1500 RPM
Rotational Speed with L.N.A. (+/- 10%)   1200 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%)   300 RPM
Airflow   93,4 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.   74,3 m³/h
Acoustical Noise   22,4 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with L.N.A.   18,6 dB(A)
Static Pressure   2,61 mm H2O
Static Pressure with L.N.A.   1,83 mm H2O

NF-A14 PWM

Size   140x140x25 mm
Connector   4-pin PWM
Bearing   SSO2
Blade Geometry   A-Series with Flow Acceleration Channels
Airflow   140,2 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.   115,5 m³/h
Acoustical Noise   24,6 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with L.N.A.   19,2 dB(A)
Static Pressure   2,08 mm H2O
Static Pressure with L.N.A.   1,51 mm H2O  

CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.7Ghz all cores  |  MotherBoard: ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi AC  |  RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 4x8GB DDR3 1866Mhz  |  GPU: EVGA 970 FTW+

Case: Fractal Design Define R5  |   Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB; Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB; Seagate 2TB SSHD  |  PSU: Seasonic SS-760W XP2 Platinum

Display: Acer XB1 27" 165Hz IPS; Dell 24" U2414H IPS |  Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull   |   Keyboard: Logitech G710+  |  Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Laser

Sound: Logitech X-530 5.1 70W RMS

If you read closely the raw specs for both fans you will see that both of them have excellent static pressure and great airflow. So they are best of both worlds.

NF-F12 PWM

Size   120x120x25 mm
Connector   4-pin PWM
Bearing   SSO2
Blade Geometry   Heptaperf™
Frame Technology   Focused Flow™
Airflow   93,4 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.   74,3 m³/h
Acoustical Noise   22,4 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with L.N.A.   18,6 dB(A)
Static Pressure   2,61 mm H2O
Static Pressure with L.N.A.   1,83 mm H2O

NF-A14 PWM

Size   140x140x25 mm
Connector   4-pin PWM
Bearing   SSO2
Blade Geometry   A-Series with Flow Acceleration Channels
Airflow   140,2 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.   115,5 m³/h
Acoustical Noise   24,6 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with L.N.A.   19,2 dB(A)
Static Pressure   2,08 mm H2O
Static Pressure with L.N.A.   1,51 mm H2O  

Problem is that real world tests show very different numbers compared to what manufacturers print on their products... see this as an example:

I've used the fans before and I can attest that they are by far the best I've ever used when it comes to static pressure, air flow, and noise.  So I just keep on using them.

And here's a link to the same tests on a Venturi fan:

I've also used these fans.  They are great.  They can spin up a bit higher and I would say they make a less pleasant tone, but are not obnoxiously loud either.  You can't really go wrong with either, but if I had the choice, I'd get the LTT NF-F12s.  =P

Problem is that real world tests show very different numbers compared to what manufacturers print on their products... see this as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkoGccjRVSs

I've used the fans before and I can attest that they are by far the best I've ever used when it comes to static pressure, air flow, and noise. So I just keep on using them.

And here's a link to the same tests on a Venturi fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZxHEuy-8A

I've also used these fans. They are great. They can spin up a bit higher and I would say they make a less pleasant tone, but are not obnoxiously loud either. You can't really go wrong with either, but if I had the choice, I'd get the LTT NF-F12s. =P

Yeah it really depends on what they used to test it and how they tested it. There really isn't standards for pc fans from my understanding. Would be great if there was a Johnny Guru of Fans [emoji14]

Problem is that real world tests show very different numbers compared to what manufacturers print on their products

I've used the fans before and I can attest that they are by far the best I've ever used when it comes to static pressure, air flow, and noise.  So I just keep on using them.

I've also used these fans.  They are great.  They can spin up a bit higher and I would say they make a less pleasant tone, but are not obnoxiously loud either.  You can't really go wrong with either, but if I had the choice, I'd get the LTT NF-F12s.  =P

True that mate. I my self am using three NF-A14 in my R4 case. The cost of them is almost as the cost of the case, but what can I say, I strive for perfection.

Still I saw great improvement in airflow in the case and you know that R4 is not that optimized for airflow (quiet is priority for me). Those fans are whisper quiet and not that loud on max RPM (I use mine with LNAs). So, yeah... I will buy Noctua as long as I can. I'll just drop that CPU cooler is also the same brand (NH-U14S push/pull).

CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.7Ghz all cores  |  MotherBoard: ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi AC  |  RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 4x8GB DDR3 1866Mhz  |  GPU: EVGA 970 FTW+

Case: Fractal Design Define R5  |   Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB; Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB; Seagate 2TB SSHD  |  PSU: Seasonic SS-760W XP2 Platinum

Display: Acer XB1 27" 165Hz IPS; Dell 24" U2414H IPS |  Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull   |   Keyboard: Logitech G710+  |  Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Laser

Sound: Logitech X-530 5.1 70W RMS

Listen to the 140mm versions :

I find that the NF-A14 PWM has a much less pleasant tone than the Fractal ones. Maybe the Noctua NF-A14 PWM is a better performer overall, but the 140mm Venturis are way more silent and don't have a high pitch tone.