The Maingear Pulse 17 is BACK!

So after several years of being out of stock, the unique maingear Pulse 17 is back with many improvements.

1.jpg

The Pulse 17 is one of the slimmest 17" gaming laptops on the market at 0.75" thick, competing against the MSI GS70 (0.86" thick) and Razer Blade Pro (0.88" thick).

2.jpg

With prices starting at $2200 it is nearly identical to the equivalent spec GS70, while nearly $1k cheaper than the blade pro.

7.jpg

For those $2.2k bucks you get a GTX970m 3GB vram, i7 6700HQ (yes that's a 4 core 8 thread i7), 16GB ram (upgradeable to 32), and a 256GB Samsung 950 pro NvME SSD (upgradeable to 512GB)

With a custom automotive paint job, webcam, subwoofer, 1080p IPS display, and other features this is one of the best valued (and best looking!) slim gaming laptops.

Intel’s latest Skylake I7 processor is a quad-core hyper threaded beast, but it is also incredibly power efficient and is optimized for maximum battery life without sacrificing performance. Eight threads of processing power means this gaming book will deliver the power for any application from video editing to 3D design and engineering. Road warriors, we have your ultimate solution for work and play.

The battery life is rated at 5 hours of regular office use. browsing the internet, documents, etc... which is not outstanding, but definitely enough considering this laptop is one of the thinnest 17" notebooks in the world.

Personally I am very excited that it is back, and will definitely be on my list of considerations for when I upgrade from my XPS13.

Product page:

https://www.maingear.com/custom/notebooks/pulse17/index.php

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think these are just MSI rebrands IIRC. Still good deals though for what you're getting.

I like the smell of thermal throttling in the morning

they dont thermal throttle unless your ambient temp is really high or you restrict the air vents by placing the notebook on your lap or carpet or some other soft surface

the skylake CPUs and 900 series GPUs have amazing power efficiency

more performance for less heat, and longer battery life :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think these are just MSI rebrands IIRC. Still good deals though for what you're getting.

Was going to say the same thing. Looks exactly like the GS70.

This is a beautiful laptop. Too bad it is out of my price range and probably won't be available in Canada.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Was going to say the same thing. Looks exactly like the GS70.

Yeah it's pretty much identical to the top-of-the-line GS70 model, but you can customize some options like nvme storage, secondary hard drives, paint job, and that kind of stuff that MSI doesn't offer

That's why its almost identical in price too :)

But the custom paint jobs look way better imo, and a lot more durable and fingerprint proof than brushed aluminum

Spoiler

This is a beautiful laptop. Too bad it is out of my price range and probably won't be available in Canada.

maingear ships internationally

but no, you probably wont be able to buy it in store at a place like ncix or something

Spoiler

Yeah it's pretty much identical to the top-of-the-line GS70 model, but you can customize some options like nvme storage, secondary hard drives, paint job, and that kind of stuff that MSI doesn't offer

That's why its almost identical in price too :)

But the custom paint jobs look way better imo, and a lot more durable and fingerprint proof than brushed aluminum

Well it's another $199 for a custom paint job, plus when considering the shipping and custom tax when importing to UK. Going to end up more expensive anyway. 

Well it's another $199 for a custom paint job, plus when considering the shipping and custom tax when importing to UK. Going to end up more expensive anyway. 

The point of this laptop is not to be cheap and affordable for everyone...

These are extremely high end slim gaming laptops for people with $$$ who want something portable that looks good and not something that everyone on the street has

Look at the price of the razer blade pro

Of course living in a place like the UK will have more expensive prices, but thats your problem :P

Spoiler

The point of this laptop is not to be cheap and affordable for everyone...

These are extremely high end slim gaming laptops for people with $$$ who want something portable that looks good and not something that everyone on the street has

Look at the price of the razer blade pro

Of course living in a place like the UK will have more expensive prices, but thats your problem :P

I know. It sucks. Hence why I bought my rmbp back when I was in Malaysia last year. So much cheaper there. Even after a year use, I can still sell it here with profit no problem. LOL.

Cool, but I think I'll stick with my new Sager/Clevo.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30