[update] iPad Pro Pencil will require a special adapter to charge the pen in order to use it - Correction. NOT needed (this is for using a cable)

GoodBytes

It has been revealed from training documentation from Apple for its sales staff, that the iPad pen, called the Apple Pencil, for the iPad Pro, will not simply connect to the lighting port of the iPad for charging. It was initially thought you remove the top pen cap (which has nothing to not loose the cap), and connect it directly to the iPad Pro lighting connector to charge then pen (and hope that no one bumps you breaking the 100$ pen, and possibly the port of the device).

However, that isn't the case, you need to carry with you, a small adapter that you need to connect between the pencil and the iPad Pro in order to charge it, as pictured bellow.

adaptor.0.png

It is not certain if the needed adapter will be sold seperatly or included with the device, and how much it will cost.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/30/9642690/apple-pencil-stylus-charging-adapter

Update:

The adapter is if you want to use the lighting cable, as a male to female cable doesn't exist (at least not officially), so you use this female to female adapter with your lighting cable to be able to charge the pen.

adapter $999

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It has been revealed from training documentation from Apple for its sales staff, that the iPad pen, called the Apple Pencil, for the iPad Pro, will not simply connect to the lighting port of the iPad for charging. 

You are wrong, you CAN connect it to the iPad - that Verge article even says you can!!

"Users are supposed to plug the device in to the bottom of the iPad Pro and leave it sticking out like a little antenna. "

From Apples website

"Slip off the magnetic cap of Apple Pencil to reveal a Lightning connector that lets you charge Apple Pencil simply by plugging it into iPad Pro."

Also

"The connector features a slightly elongated design, so that charging is possible even when iPad Pro is inside its Silicone Case. In a rush? Just 15 seconds provides enough charge for half an hour of use. And a full charge gets you 12 hours’ worth of scribbling, sketching, annotating and editing.*"

http://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pencil/?cid=wwa-uk-kwg-ipad

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You also need the package box in order to use the iPhone. Package box price: $1299.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

The adapter will be included with the pencil!!!

Cool.The new $1000 apple charger.

Im sticking to samsung $10 wireless charging pad

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Just 15 seconds provides enough charge for half an hour of use. And a full charge gets you 12 hours’ worth of scribbling, sketching, annotating and editing.*"

i'm curious if the apple pencil doesn't use a battery, but instead an ultracapacitor with charging speeds like that. I initially thought it was a terribly design, but if you could get a near full charge in a matter of minutes, it doesn't seem like a terrible., as 10C sounds like too fast for even the best of lithium ion batteries.

i'm curious if the apple pencil doesn't use a battery, but instead an ultracapacitor with charging speeds like that. I initially thought it was a terribly design, but if you could get a near full charge in a matter of minutes, it doesn't seem like a terrible., as 10C sounds like too fast for even the best of lithium ion batteries.

Possible I have no idea, if it is a conventional battery its probably and its just ultra efficient since it barely needs any power for what it does

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

it's not a capacitor. It just uses little power, so 15 seconds charge pumps in a tiny bit of energy and it goes on for 30 minutes.

pencil is tiny, battery is tiny. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

OMFG! enough with this spethial perpreyoterry adaptor shit , even worse is shitheads gonna buy it anyways if it's excessively overpriced

Details separate people.

In order to get the full package, you'll need to pay with your soul or Tim Cook will ban your iOS and iCloud accounts forever.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

The stupidest thing i've ever heard. I am 100% sure that Apple will still allow users to charge the pencil via the iPad Pro. It's idiotic if they decide against that.

That little adapter is probably for the wall charger/USB port. At the bottom of the 9to5mac post it has some examples of use. 

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/29/ipad-pro-applecare-staff-given-nov-6-training-deadline-pencil-charging-adapter-detailed/

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

maybe combination of both, where it goes to the cap first then the battery, that way you are able(theoretical) to use the charge instantly and it shouldn't drop to quickly overtime.

like you charge it for 15sec, use it for a few minutes and the charge that is leftover in the cap goes to the battery

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I think this is more of a male plug issues since they wanted to make it stick in the chargehole of the ipad, need a female-female adapter. Makes sense and it follows the sorta stupid design trend they've been on as of late. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You are wrong, you CAN connect it to the iPad - that Verge article even says you can!!

"Users are supposed to plug the device in to the bottom of the iPad Pro and leave it sticking out like a little antenna. "

From Apples website

"Slip off the magnetic cap of Apple Pencil to reveal a Lightning connector that lets you charge Apple Pencil simply by plugging it into iPad Pro."

Also

"The connector features a slightly elongated design, so that charging is possible even when iPad Pro is inside its Silicone Case. In a rush? Just 15 seconds provides enough charge for half an hour of use. And a full charge gets you 12 hours’ worth of scribbling, sketching, annotating and editing.*"

Corrected.

Corrected.

Good stuff, its still stupid, they should have put a female lightning slot in the cap (and you remove it for the male one if you need to connect it on the move)

Maybe I should be the person designing these things

Good stuff, its still stupid, they should have put a female lightning slot in the cap (and you remove it for the male one if you need to connect it on the move)

Maybe I should be the person designing these things

Agreed on both points :)

Honestly, if anything I expected a short male to female cable included. But then again, it would let you wear out less the lighting cable you currently have, and not easier to loose, meaning a possible reduction in revenue for Apple.

Agreed on both points :)

Honestly, if anything I expected a short male to female cable included. But then again, it would let you wear out less the lighting cable you currently have, and not easier to loose, meaning a possible reduction in revenue for Apple.

Yeah I dont think its toooooo bad overall and there will be plenty of third party solutions I am sure :D

I do think its neat that you can charge it using the iPad on the go - since you only need to plug it in for like 1 minute to get an hours usage and at least its not as fragile as micro usb where it would break off after 14 seconds haha

Yeah I dont think its toooooo bad overall and there will be plenty of third party solutions I am sure :D

I do think its neat that you can charge it using the iPad on the go - since you only need to plug it in for like 1 minute to get an hours usage and at least its not as fragile as micro usb where it would break off after 14 seconds haha

True, but the Surface Pro latest pen has a battery that you can replace, and gives you a year of usage.

it's not a capacitor. It just uses little power, so 15 seconds charge pumps in a tiny bit of energy and it goes on for 30 minutes.

pencil is tiny, battery is tiny. 

if 15 seconds is enough for 30 minutes of charge, and full charge is 12 hours, if it is getting one 24th of it's charge in 15 seconds, that's a 10C charge rate, which is way beyond what is safely done on even LiMn based batteries. either they've done some impressive innovation on the battery, are using a hybrid system, or have foregone the battery entirely for capacitors (which I think would be better for this form factor)