Alternatives to weight lifting?

as96

I just found out that my back is fucked up (scoliosis) but I really need to build muscles and I can't swim, what am I supposed to do?

Anyone else had my problem? Tips?

Can't swim because of back or why.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Lift potatoes....

Sorry, I'm not an expert on the matter, but if I was in your position I'd talk to a doctor.

i'm a potato

Can't swim because of back or why.

Can't swim because I don't know how, all I can do is trying not to drown.

Oh, so it's a perfect opportunity to learn how to swim. There are lessons you know. With trainers.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

just buy a swimming pool and use it once a day.

this way you can burn money AND calories while ALSO learning to swim!

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

That's great! Just get someone with a boat to drop you out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean! You'll look like the Hulk in no time.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

just buy a swimming pool and use it once a day.

this way you can burn money AND calories while ALSO learning to swim!

And also freeze to death.

That's great! Just get someone with a boat to drop you out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean! You'll look like the Hulk in no time.

I'll just put it as a plan B.

And also freeze to death.

then just replace all of the floor in your house with swimming pools

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

If you need to build muscles, going to a gym is the best option IMO.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I just found out that my back is fucked up (scoliosis) but I really need to build muscles and I can't swim, what am I supposed to do?

Anyone else had my problem? Tips?

Even if you cant swim it doesn't matter most swimming pools will have some sort of grab bar or something similar around the pool edge. Head into the pool hold on to something even a float and learn to thread water, using the resistance of water will work you muscles and not too much pressure will be put on your back as the water will help displace your body weight.

Dont be ashamed to use various pool aids or a pool assistant. When it comes to your health put your pride aside.

Even if you cant swim it doesn't matter most swimming pools will have some sort of grab bar or something similar around the pool edge. Head into the pool hold on to something even a float and learn to thread water, using the resistance of water will work you muscles and not too much pressure will be put on your back as the water will help displace your body weight.

Dont be ashamed to use various pool aids or a pool assistant. When it comes to your health put your pride aside.

Yeah but I have some loose skin (nothing too excessive considering I lost 40Kg) and I'm a bit ashamed to go to a swimming pool, also since I don't know how to swim you can add that I'll also have to be assisted by someone otherwise I'll just stay in one point of the pool forever and taking 50 minutes just to get to the other side :(

Yeah but I have some loose skin (nothing too excessive considering I lost 40Kg) and I'm a bit ashamed to go to a swimming pool, also since I don't know how to swim you can add that I'll also have to be assisted by someone otherwise I'll just stay in one point of the pool forever and taking 50 minutes just to get to the other side :(

Its tough I know I injured my back this year at work and awaiting surgery to have plates put in. Iv seen guys and girls at my local pool who are large but I guess they decided enough was enough and did something about it. We all have to start somewhere.

Dont think Im been a c**t just trying to give encouragement.  ;) 

Its tough I know I injured my back this year at work and awaiting surgery to have plates put in. Iv seen guys and girls at my local pool who are large but I guess they decided enough was enough and did something about it. We all have to start somewhere.

Dont think Im been a c**t just trying to give encouragement.  ;)

Thank you, anyway I'm not "large" anymore (173cm/66Kg) but it's a bit awkward since my skin it's not in a good shape, I'll see if I can convince myself to go to a pool though,

If you can't do weights, then you might want to look into doing some isometrics, or if nothing else, just some good old fashioned calisthenics. These are things you can do by yourself at home with no need for a gym.

Anything that keeps your body moving and provides some resistance will be a benefit for you.

Just my .02.

Good luck!

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

You can try doing cardio at the very least?

Cycling/treadmill/rowing...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Swimming is ridiculously easy, and also really good for you. It exercises every muscle in your body. And if I remember correctly, it's supposed to be good for your back.

The hard part about swimming, is not panicking. Panicking makes you less coordinated and thus less able to swim properly. Just set up some lessons with an instructor. No shame in now being able to swim.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Run. That's what your body is built for. Not swimming, not rowing, not doing push-ups. Running.

Run. That's what your body is built for. Not swimming, not rowing, not doing push-ups. Running.

The human body is an amazing thing it can do all three you mentioned very well.

At the moment I don't need to lose weight, I need to build muscle nothing else, while running has lots of other benefits for health it's not really useful for my goal.

The human body is an amazing thing it can do all three you mentioned very well.

Very true. However, those are just nice little perks of being human. Things that we can do very well. Running, however, is the one thing that the human body is purpose-built to excel at. We can run further and for longer without dying of exhaustion than just about any other animal on planet earth.

At the moment I don't need to lose weight, I need to build muscle nothing else, while running has lots of other benefits for health it's not really useful for my goal.

Not talking about losing weight, talking about endurance. It's alright being able to lift tons of stuff, it's no good if you can't do it for very long. If you can run for 5-10 hours at once without a break then you're in as good physical condition as any.