DirectX12 on Xbox One

grimmjow660

How will Direct X12 help the Xbox one?
I'm reading about it, and it all seems a bit mixed. People say it will help, and it wont at the same time

How will Direct X12 help the Xbox one?

I'm reading about it, and it all seems a bit mixed. People say it will help, and it wont at the same time

It won't help much at all due to the very weak nature of the APU inside the Xbox.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Will it help, most likely yes, will it be a game changer for the console, I doubt it.

This. You can't deny that DirectX 12 will introduce some sort of performance benefits to the Xbox One. However whether they will make a large difference due to poor hardware, it is up to the developers.

If they even bother..

It could be good, Think of how Mantle helped the cheaper CPU's...........APU's and LOW-end CPU's with BF4 and super highend cards, playing at similar performance to what high-end CPU's were capable of.

It CAN certain help the CPU constraints, but I doubt it will be as good as that, IMO it will bring better breathing room when games are fidelity heavy,...so there are less dips.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Wont even help much... The console cant even run 1080p.. remember the time when the fanboys said it could run 4k with HDMI 1.4. You can make shit hardware to god with just API. 

Magical Pineapples

It will help Devs in the develop process. It will not make the xbox faster.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Will be less dips (or better managed minimums), but IMO, fuck all gained on the average/maximums.

Will still be seeing 1080p30 and 720-900p30/60 for quite some time.

Plain and Simple, and we all know it - They NEED more powerful hardware, then the API's will reap rewards, but for what they have now... the GPU can only do so much, even if they lighten the CPU load and balance it better, the GPU is still lacklustre with or without DX12.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Wont even help much... The console cant even run 1080p.. remember the time when the fanboys said it could run 4k with HDMI 1.4. You can make shit hardware to god with just API. 

I remember when pc fanboys said Xbox one can't run 1080p. A simple google can correct this as well. Them pc fanboys and xbox fanboys ey!!! Why can't they get along.

The Xbox already uses a custom api that is lower level than dx12, dx12 would be slower

Look up eurogamer 4A games interview for info on this

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I have a bigger question, does Xbox1's hardware even (fully) support DX12? I thought some of the features of the api were pretty recent and required an actual change to GPU architecture (something along those lines) which is the reason why older cards can't support it. I mean even Nvidia's (new) 900-series do not fully support DX12, right? I mean, they do DX12, but not DX12.1, something like that? (Asynchronous compute, I don't remember)

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Phil spencer even said that DX12 will do very little for the X1. As for in game features. It's kind of like the advanced graphics features in DX11, they are great but only if you have the power gpu wise to use them...The X1 is very low in that area.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

I remember when pc fanboys said Xbox one can't run 1080p. A simple google can correct this as well. Them pc fanboys and xbox fanboys ey!!! Why can't they get along.

My Original Xbox can manage 1080i+720p........and better than the PS2.......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have a bigger question, does Xbox1's hardware even (fully) support DX12? I thought some of the features of the api were pretty recent and required an actual change to GPU architecture (something along those lines) which is the reason why older cards can't support it. I mean even Nvidia's (new) 900-series do not fully support DX12, right? I mean, they do DX12, but not DX12.1, something like that? (Asynchronous compute, I don't remember)

This is from August 2014

Digital Foundry: DirectX 11 vs GNMX vs GNM - what's your take on the strengths and weakness of the APIs available to developers with Xbox One and PlayStation 4? Closer to launch there were some complaints about XO driver performance and CPU overhead on GNMX.

Oles Shishkovstov: Let's put it that way - we have seen scenarios where a single CPU core was fully loaded just by issuing draw-calls on Xbox One (and that's surely on the 'mono' driver with several fast-path calls utilised). Then, the same scenario on PS4, it was actually difficult to find those draw-calls in the profile graphs, because they are using almost no time and are barely visible as a result.

In general - I don't really get why they choose DX11 as a starting point for the console. It's a console! Why care about some legacy stuff at all? On PS4, most GPU commands are just a few DWORDs written into the command buffer, let's say just a few CPU clock cycles. On Xbox One it easily could be one million times slower because of all the bookkeeping the API does.

But Microsoft is not sleeping, really. Each XDK that has been released both before and after the Xbox One launch has brought faster and faster draw-calls to the table. They added tons of features just to work around limitations of the DX11 API model. They even made a DX12/GNM style do-it-yourself API available - although we didn't ship with it on Redux due to time constraints.

Basically, Xbox one has had a dx12 style driver for a full year at this point

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The reason dx 12 helped Pc's is because of the very nature of the hardware , it's varied.

Devs can't optimize for a specific platform, whereas the xbox one is a fixed piece of hardware , that devs can already take advantage of.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case