Headphone recommendations under $200 USD

corbetto

Hey, looking at getting some new quality headphones. I listen to all types of music and do game a fair bit, also have a mic so no need to worry about that. My budget is preferably < $200USD. Cheers

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

I would recommend the G4me Zero's but they are 199.00 USD.

However, I think they are worth.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNPYAEY/ref=twister_B00OZP5QVY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Current Build:

CPU: Core i5-9600K MOBO: Asus strix z390-i RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3200mhz GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix Storage: Samsung SSD 500GB & Samsung 1TB SSD Case: Louqe Ghost S1 Cooler: Noctua L12 - 92mm fan only PSU: Corsair SF600 Keybaord: Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Red

I would recommend the G4me Zero's but they are 199.00 USD.

However, I think they are worth.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNPYAEY/ref=twister_B00OZP5QVY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

He already has a decent mic! 

Intel i5 3570K. Cooler Master Seidon 120V. Asus P8Z77-V LK. Corsair vengeance LP 8GB. EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0+ SC. Seasonic M12-II 750w. NZXT H440. Crucial BX100 250GB. Corsair Neutron 64GB SSD. Seagate 1TB. Razer Death Adder 2013. Razer Blackwidow Tournament. Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm/Mod Mic 4.0. FiiO E10K DAC. Steelseries QCK+. Benq XL2430T@144Hz. 2x Dell U2414H. Phone Sony Xperia Z3

I'll start with the Audio-Technica AD700X or AD900X. I recently got the ADG1 (a very similar headset) and oh my god it sounds good.

AD700X: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S332TQ?keywords=AD900X&qid=1445845320&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

AD900X: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S331VU?keywords=AD900X&qid=1445845320&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

(there are also the closed-back (better isolation, but can warm the ears) versions the A700X and A900X)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Hey, looking at getting some new quality headphones. I listen to all types of music and do game a fair bit, also have a mic so no need to worry about that. My budget is preferably < $200USD. Cheers

Sennheiser HD558 or HD 598

I have the HD558's and they are pretty damn good, they sound better than the audio technica m50x and are very comfortable.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Sennheiser HD558 or HD 598

I have the HD558's and they are pretty damn good, they sound better than the audio technica m50x and are very comfortable.

ive tried both the 50x trumps them imo

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Why not a DT770? Just don't mind the impedance as it is NOT the determining factor of how hard a headphone is to drive.

I don't think you've tried other headphones, let alone the M40X.

Why not a DT770? Just don't mind the impedance as it is NOT the determining factor of how hard a headphone is to drive.

I don't think you've tried other headphones, let alone the M40X.

if you possible read the message i quoted youd understand i was talking about the hd 598's

if you possible read the message i quoted youd understand i was talking about the hd 598's

Saying the M50X is better with no other details like lows, mids, and highs gives me that impression that you haven't tried other headphones other than those three.

Saying the M50X is better with no other details like lows, mids, and highs gives me that impression that you haven't tried other headphones other than those three.

i said imo. firstly logicaly it means I think they sound better for me and my taste

i said imo. firstly logicaly it means I think they sound better for me and my taste

Saying its sounds better because its more suited to you and your taste is an invalid statement on saying why the M50X is better. Maybe if you said "I prefer the M50X over the 558 and the 598" then that would've been more acceptable.

However that is not the popular opinion.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I have the Grado SR80e, and enjoy them quiet a bit. They are my first (and only) pair of open backed headphones, and I really like them.

They are very light on the head.

And many people like to mod them.

The headband sorta knaws into my head after a while though.

Saying its sounds better because its more suited to you and your taste is an invalid statement on saying why the M50X is better. Maybe if you said "I prefer the M50X over the 558 and the 598" then that would've been more acceptable.

he did say "in my opinion"

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

he did say "in my opinion"

Opinions that lack concrete statements and are just given as vague of an answer as "sound better for me and my taste" makes the opinion so grey and vague. If he can't tell what he likes about it, like its mids or low end, then I consider it as an invalid statement. I don't even know his taste, and maybe neither 1-99% of the Linus Tech Tips users do.

OP: If you don't need closed headphones for isolation, there are many options.

Beyerdynamic DT990 if you want bass, those are often found around 200 dollars. 

Sennheiser HD558, or 598 if you want decent bass, and the usual Sennheiser sound, what they call "veiled", and I call not very detailed or dark, but quite pleasant. 

AKG Q701 are on for 180 right now, great offer. Sort of light on bass, but amazing mids and highs. 

Pioneer SE-A1000 if you want something that sounds A LOT like Sennheisers, but cost a LOT less. Great value. Extremely long cable. Sorta weird comfort but it's alright. very good for 60 bucks. 

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X are very very good for gaming, a very wide soundstage. Not a lot of bass, great mids and highs. Supposedly very comfortable but I haven't been able to try them for myself. 

I would advise you to get some of these open headphones as open headphones are usually better for gaming with wider soundstage, 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

AKG k612pro (open back)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Opinions that lack concrete statements and are just given as vague of an answer as "sound better for me and my taste" makes the opinion so grey and vague. If he can't tell what he likes about it, like its mids or low end, then I consider it as an invalid statement. I don't even know his taste, and maybe neither 1-99% of the Linus Tech Tips users do.

But saying that something is my opinion means that I'm not accountable for any lack of logic or justification in what I say.

But saying that something is my opinion means that I'm not accountable for any lack of logic or justification in what I say.

I was expecting "My opinion is valid cuz NANOMACHINES, SON!"

Yeah... I think I played MGR a bit too much.

I'd suggest you to look for used K7xx or HD600

Used k7xx will be the same price as new ones. I sold mine for 205$, new they are 200. But they are not available often, so there is that.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Cheers for the ideas, will have a look into them all. They all look pretty sweet  IMO  :D. Did have my eyes on the DT990 Pro's before i started this thread, any thoughts on those?

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

I'd recommend the 990's, but I am biased towards Beyerdynamic's DT line of product. I use the DT990 Premiums as my daily drivers for games/casual listening when on the computer with the occasional swapping for Mrspeakers AD.

They are what I'd call a "fun" headphone with sharp highs and punchy bass down low.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2