Ubuntu 15.10 launches and 16.04 LTS codename release

suicidalfranco

sources:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/10/ubuntu-15-10-download-review-new-features

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/10/ubuntu-15-10-flavors-download-now

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/10/ubuntu-16-04-name-revealed

Tittle says all, so what's new in ubuntu 15.10:

• unity polish and fixes: 

Unity, the default desktop shell, has been handed a batch of small fixes and usability improvements for Ubuntu 15.10.

For example, you can now drag and drop apps from the Unity Dash to the desktop to create shortcuts, and navigate through Dash results using keyboard navigation keys.

The Unity Dash search box text and BFB tooltip no longer make mention of ‘online sources’ when you have online source searching set to ‘disabled’ under System Settings > Privacy.

Other changes in Unity 7.3.3:

• You can now drag and drop apps from the Dash to the desktop to create shortcuts
    • Page up/down keyboard navigation works as scroll in the Dash
    • Dash title & BFB tooltip is updated based on your privacy settings
    • Session exit buttons now have a click effect
    • Fix to prevent ‘shutdown’ of computer when screen is locked
    • Active app icons now show unfolded when launcher accordion triggered
    • Fix for full screen menubar
    • Fixes issues with ‘show desktop’ that caused window decoration for two windows of same app to vanish
    • Dash: Non-expandable category headers skipped in keyboard navigation
    • Dash: Non-expandable category headers are no longer highlighted on mouse over
    • Dash: screenreader and KeyNav fixes
    • New setting to control the show-now delay (when pressing Alt key)
    • Logic tweak to stop adjacent menu opening when moving from an indicator icon to its menu

• steam controller support:

The new Steam Controller is starting to land in gamers hands across the world and Ubuntu 15.10 has native controller support out of the box — no tweaks or modifications necessary.

If you have one of the new controllers all you need to do is install Steam using the Ubuntu package in the Ubuntu Software Centre, then plug your device in.

The Steam installer package takes care of setting requisite udev and uinput rules and permissions.

• new scrollbar:

Ubuntu 15.10 features new scrollbars.

Canonical has dropped its own Unity Overlay Scrollbars, which were thin, hidden, and had hard-to-hit pop-out handles, and replaced them with upstream GNOME’s take.

GNOME overlay scrollbars are auto-expand when mouse over so as to save space in applications and have a large ‘grab’ area to make them easier to move.

• Linux kernel 4.2:

The Ubuntu 15.10 kernel version is 4.2, released at the end of August.

This brings better hardware support, including initial support for Intel’s 64-bit “Broxton” Atom chips. There’s also new AMD GPU driver supporting recent Radeon GPUs, and F2FS file-system encryption support.

• updated apps:

Application updates (naturally) feature. Among them:

• Firefox 41
    • Chromium 45
    • LibreOffice 5.0.2
    • Nautilus (aka ‘Files’) 3.14.2
    • Totem (aka ‘Videos’) 3.16
    • Rhythmbox 3.2.1
    • GNOME Terminal 3.16
    • Eye of GNOME 3.16
    • Empathy 3.12.10
    • Shotwell 0.22

• update to ubuntu make:

Ubuntu Make, a command-line utility that makes installing popular developer tools easier on Ubuntu, now supports even more platforms, frameworks and services, including a full Android development environment.

• new wallpapers:

A new default wallpaper is included (trivia: the only version of Ubuntu to not ship with a new default wallpaper was Ubuntu 14.10).

Rather like the rest of Ubuntu the new default wallpaper show only the subtlest of transitions from the previous design.

If it’s not to your taste, no worries. A new set of community sourced wallpapers are also included.

Despite the Ubuntu 15.10 wallpaper contest attracting just 40 or so entrants — similar contests for ‘free culture’ audio and video categories fared even worse, scoring fewer than 5 entrants between them — the quality of wallpapers is still high.

Here’s hoping the culture showcase can be improved for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS — especially as the wallpapers will remain in use for 5 years!

• support for Python 3.5

Yeah not a huge upgrade, mostly bug fixes and welcomed improvements and changes. Next news from the ubuntu world: the codename for 16.04 has been announced! 16.04 will also be the next LTS (Long Term Support) release from canonical, for those who don't know this means that it will be supported by canonical for 3 years on desktops and 5 years on servers while non LTS releases are supported for 9 months on desktops and servers. Back on topic, the codename is: Xenial Xerus

WTF does this mean you might ask yourselves (i sure did), well Xenial is an adjective that means "hospitable" or "friendly" while Xerus is an african ground squirrel.

After announcing the codename Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu, explains the codename further:

“What fortunate timing that our next LTS should be X, because “xenial” means “friendly relations between hosts and guests”, and given all the amazing work going into LXD and KVM for Ubuntu OpenStack, and beyond that the interoperability of Ubuntu OpenStack with hypervisors of all sorts, it seems like a perfect fit.

And Xerus, the African ground squirrels, are among the most social animals in my home country. They thrive in the desert, they live in small, agile, social groups that get along unusually well with their neighbours (for most mammals, neighbours are a source of bloody competition, for Xerus, hey, collaboration is cool). They are fast, feisty, friendly and known for their enormous… courage. That sounds just about right. With great… courage… comes great opportunity!”

Extra bit of info: 16.04 is also supposed to be the last Ubuntu version that will ship with the standard X server y default. Ubuntu 16.10 should finally bring out the long awaited Unity 8 and Mir display server.

All i have to say is: how did we go from a werewolf to this:

borstenhoernchen-02.jpg

and can't wait for it, i mostly jump from one LTS to another and never bother with what's in the middle simply cause LTSs are the most stable in the long run.

And, almost forgot, you can now download 15.10 for your favorite flavour: Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Kylin and Ubuntu MATE.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

any news on the gnome version?

Its pretty much the same thing, except with a different GUI. So the updates should be the same.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Its pretty much the same thing, except with a different GUI. So the updates should be the same.

Im aware, wondering if it has also been released alongside the 'vanilla' ubuntu or if it will be delayed slightly

Im aware, wondering if it has also been released alongside the 'vanilla' ubuntu or if it will be delayed slightly

every official flavours have been updated, Ubuntu GNOME included, brings GNOME 3.16 as default with some new core apps

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

4.2? Fedora 22's on Kernel 4.10.x now. God no wonder Ubuntu's been an unstable mess for graphics drivers.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

They can make 10000 fixes and features nothing fixes linux's inexistent working drivers.

They can make 10000 fixes and features nothing fixes linux's inexistent working drivers.

Linux has drivers that are completely fine, in fact it is extremely rare to have to look for a working driver.

Every topic I post in dies.

??? Their wireless drivers are top notch, and at least Intel's graphics drivers are rock solid.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

says you

i already download it (Gnome 15.10)

and i am using right now (virtualbox for the win)

is 100% ready for virtualbox (is the best virtualbox distro i must say)

and i love it  ^_^

On Linux everything works out of the box, on Windows I have to go to the makers website to download the drivers...

Guess which one I prefer?

Ubuntu MATE 15.10 FTW

1445621242-2015-10-23-192137-1920x1080-s

Lubuntu 15.10 :P

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

attachicon.gifScreenshot.png

Ubuntu MATE 15.10 FTW

i already download it (Gnome 15.10)

and i am using right now (virtualbox for the win)

is 100% ready for virtualbox (is the best virtualbox distro i must say)

and i love it  ^_^

On Linux everything works out of the box, on Windows I have to go to the makers website to download the drivers...

Guess which one I prefer?

1445621242-2015-10-23-192137-1920x1080-s

Lubuntu 15.10 :P

resisting urge to upgrade, 6 more months and i'm finally leaving 14.04

attachicon.gifScreenshot.png

Ubuntu MATE 15.10 FTW

Nice to see a fan of Martin's Distro on the forum :) 

Some of the packages are different to, and potentially a different display manager. 

Sweet. Will be making a new VM for it tonight to check it out. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

forgot to add: t-shirts of willy werewolf are now available at the canonical store and Ubuntu celebrates it's 11th birthday