Do you prefer Nvidia or AMD?

Morman

great to see another galax supporter but I wouldn't say amd is a budget option they have high end (fury x) and lower and (270x?) Just like nvidia

I mean like with NVidia, we have cards that go all the way up to 900 USD And 1k including K|NGP|N

I love galax, I love they're designs, Since my friend works with them, its kinda hard to hate them, especially when you get a GPU that can overclock like a beast 

3dfx Voodoo Banshee for life!

Pah! I'll see your Voodoo Banshee and raise you my first 3D card - Videologic Apocalypse 3D (PowerVR chipset). God damn, I nearly shat the bed the fist time I played Quake 2 with that sucker in.

Don't really have a brand preference between Nvidia and AMD in the long term, so can't vote one way or the other (should be a neutral option). I usually do a buttload of research before upgrading, and I buy the architecture I feel is the best value at the time. I've been using AMD for 2-3 years, and was using Nvidia for a decade before that. I didn't see any value in buying AMD before they launched GCN architecture, and I don't see much value in Nvidia's Maxwell architecture at this time. Pascal may change my mind about Nvidia's value proposition, but currently there's just uncertainty for me surrounding Nvidia. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I buy whichever gives best bang for buck in my price range. 

2 years ago I was looking at a 770 or R9 290, got the 290 because it was $50nzd cheaper and on par with the 770.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | RAM: G.Skill 32Gb at 3200Mhz | GPU:  GTX 1080ti

I prefer AMD for their more open approach but they do have some pitfalls

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

nVidia right now, because while they undoubtedly have their evil moments, I do benefit from how they used their market position to put CUDA out there as the standard on modelling and rendering applications.  I want to see CUDA replaced by something less directly controlled by nVidia, we're only where we are because nVidia cracked some skulls.  Before that the entire professional applications market as a Balkanized mess.  CUDA did a lot to make my life better.  

Hopefully Khronos can push out OpenCL and CUDA can fade away gracefully.  

After trying out cards from both AMD and NVIDIA, I have no particular preference. I don't care which brand I choose as long as whatever I get produces the kind of performance and graphical fidelity I desire at the time of my purchase. I don't really care about the features either brand provides since I rarely use them at all in my general usage scenarios, so it's really just an arbitrary decision based on the needs/wants I have at the time. So, if two cards in the same price bracket offer practically equivalent performance, then I make the decision randomly, not according to a brand preference.

That said, I cannot choose one or the other as my answer to the poll. I would prefer that you add a third option.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Which company do you prefer overall?

I would say I like AMD's GPUs. I've had a better experience with them, and the drivers seem to be more reliable. Nvidia software seems to be slow and buggy and crashes alot.

The actual GPU hardware is technically superior to Nvidia, but Nvidia is really good at optimising. I don't use any of Nvidias software anyways and I use opencl more than cuda, so yeah definitely AMD. I also prefer the more open ecosystem of AMD. Pricewise, AMD is the better choice overall.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

It's a dynamic thing. Who has the better product at a given time. I was on Nvidia for a long time. Now I would say AMD, with The GCN technology and overall driver quality etc. Both in the high end and low end. For the last 2 years my R9 290 has been stellar for silky smooth gaming and rock solid stability. Also people who bought a 78xx to 79xx range GPU in 2011 are still getting great improvements and new features from AMD's driver team today, I appreciate that. So right now I pick AMD. Except for the 980ti which I would choose over the Fury X if I was in the market for those models.

As you can see from the above I think both companies are fairly good and competent. It's more a question of the individual product comparisons.

Prefer AMD for the Brute Force with many strengths.

Prefer Nvidia for the recording software and realistic Performance Vs Power Used.

Point being...

Prefer anything thats got good Price>Performance, and thats usually my deciding factor, both control panels are easy to use.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Depends what cpu... If intel go nvidia if amd go amd

I like both of AMD and Nvidia. I had GeForce 4 Ti4200, 7300GT, and 8600GT, then I had to change to AMD APU motherboard. *sighs*

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

I prefer the brand that makes the most people upset.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I prefer the brand that makes the most people upset.

You know, it's funny...I was going to post the same exact thing. haha 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If it wasn't for their advertising approach/marketing things and focusing on power consumption and not raw power, i'll buy Nvidia.

I've used nvidia both by choice on my personal machines and before that on the family machine just because that's what it had for the last... wow, I guess about 13 years all told, and never had a single issue, driver, software, hardware, or otherwise.  Excellent experience.  I've also owned a laptop with AMD graphics... I've sworn to never buy an AMD graphics card as a result.

I know there are people who've probably had opposite experiences to this, but that's my story for why I like nvidia.  That said, I won't ever argue with someone if a benchmark clearly shows an AMD card outperforming nvidia in perf/$ or just overall; despite my strong feelings I like to think I'm no fanboy and will willingly recommend the better card for any particular person's situation., whatever it may be.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Im unbiased but forced to use Nvidia because of CUDA.

my old Geforce3 Ti200 still holds a special place in my heart though.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Bang for buck? AMD.

If price wouldn't be an issue, I'd go with whatever was best performance-wise (currently that would be nVidia, but if AMD released something better, I'd go with that)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

In my country, 90% uses Nvidia while the rest are AMD.

The price/ performance here is insane.

You can get a GTX980 here for as low as 15xxx Thai Baht

While the R9 390X is 19xxx Thai baht.

980 is more powerful and yet cheaper, so no one is using AMD here

Nvidia for features, but honestly whatever performs best at a certain price point. 

AMD usually for the better price/performance, but now since I'm on the highest-end I use Nvidia.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i