GPU coil whine. but only at low usage?

allmighty_bob

Anyone know what this is about?`I have an MSI gtx 980ti 6G.

I can play battlefront, bf4, far cry, witcher etc. i use 100% of gpu on my 1440p screen, and yes the fans kick up abit, but it's generally silent.

BUT

When i play on a vanilla wow-server, league of legends, cs:go and the likes. which only uses 40-60% of my gpu. the coil whine is unbearable. looking around(on the ground, the sky, on some forests) makes the coil whine pitch change into different horrible whines.

Anyone know wtf. is going on? 

I think my GPU os feeling itself too high-born to deal with these games.

Well, the obvious but stupid solution is to find some way to keep the card fully loaded do it doesn't make the sound.  Sort of like the doctor telling you not to "do that" if it hurts

Was it always doing this, or did this just start?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Wow isn't too GPU intensive so your Ti will be destroying it FPS-wise. Usually when the framerates go bonkers you increase the chance of coil whine.

You're not using V-sync or a FPS limiter I take it?

This is not uncommon as coil whine has nothing to do with max power draw, it matters what the inductor's resonant frequency is.

Oh and I didn't give a solution lol, just increase the setting to some stupid high setting to get rid of it.

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Anyone know what this is about?`I have an MSI gtx 980ti 6G.

I can play battlefront, bf4, far cry, witcher etc. i use 100% of gpu on my 1440p screen, and yes the fans kick up abit, but it's generally silent.

BUT

When i play on a vanilla wow-server, league of legends, cs:go and the likes. which only uses 40-60% of my gpu. the coil whine is unbearable. looking around(on the ground, the sky, on some forests) makes the coil whine pitch change into different horrible whines.

Anyone know wtf. is going on? 

I think my GPU os feeling itself too high-born to deal with these games.

There is a simple solution to this:

Limit your frames to something like 60, 90, 120 or 144 FPS or enable V-Sync.

The higher the frame rates, the louder the coil whine. That's why it only happens in titles that don't require a powerful GPU.

thats how coil whine works

some stuff makes it loud, some stuff makes no coil whine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why is it I see so many threads on gpu coil whine and nvidia gpu's?

I've never had this issue with AMD gpu's.

But anyway, see if it's your fans or anything. Use V-Sync and fps_max or max_fps 300, 300 works fine for most games

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

I've had this issue with two of my AMD cards - electricity doesn't really give a fuck what badge is on the box I'm afraid.

snip

Why is it I see so many threads on gpu coil whine and nvidia gpu's?

I've never had this issue with AMD gpu's.

But anyway, see if it's your fans or anything. Use V-Sync and fps_max or max_fps 300, 300 works fine for most games

You don't read the same threads I do. And for the record. I have never had an issue with coil whine (on either) with reasonable fps (I did have INSANELY loud coil whine doing the mobile gpu unlimited benchmark but that was literally 1000s of fps).

But anyways, to both of these threads even if you are using a 144 Hz monitor the CORRECT action is indeed limiting your frame rate to at max 2x your monitor FPS (I would personally advocate for 120 fps lock, but I understand some people want 144 Hz).

The higher your fps the more coil whine you are going to get. Using a lock then prevents menus or non-demanding games from going crazy.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS