[mini news]Rise of the Microtransactions: New Tomb Raider to have 300 of them launch

Misanthrope

There Are Micro-Transactions In Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Rise_of_the_tomb_raider-600x338.jpg

Well for people who were happy Microsoft paid Square to have timed exclusivity guess what? It's now a console centric, micro transaction infested game:

That is why the internet hasn’t reacted so hotly to the news that Rise of the Tomb Raider is getting over ‘300’ cards that can be bought with real money. They are called Expedition Cards and you can buy packs of them with real money

Not only that but they are treating them like collective cards too, only a CCG that you have to pay 60 fucking dollars PLUS a Season Pass because of course, it has DLC on top as well

In Rise of the Tomb Raider, you’ll earn credits by completing challenges and exploring the world. These credits can be used to purchase Expedition Card packs. When used, Expedition Cards become modifiers in game modes outside of the single player campaign. Some Cards are humorous, such as Big Head Mode, while others can increase the challenge or give you special advantages. Expedition Cards can also be purchased with real-world currency.

There are two types of Expedition Cards: Foil and Common. A Foil Card will give Lara the strongest or strangest variations and can be used as many times as you wish. A Common Card is only used once, and you’ll need to earn more credits to buy it back.

Expedition Cards offer hundreds of ways to customize your Rise of the Tomb Raider experience. You can also set up challenges for your friends to see if they can beat your scores with the same card setup. We’ll have about 300 cards available at launch, and more will be added in the weeks that follow

Now the claim is that this won't affect single player, but well you know what happens when a single player centric game gets tacked on multiplayer with microtransactions and DLC, nothing good at all

Source

-------

Current Rig

-------

This isn't anything new, we've known this for like a week now. But it is a shitty thing. I loved Tomb Raider 2014 and I was totally looking forward to getting this one. After hearing this over the past few days I don't know anymore.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Curves keep getting curveir

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

This isn't anything new, we've known this for like a week now. But it is a shitty thing. I loved Tomb Raider 2014 and I was totally looking forward to getting this one. After hearing this over the past few days I don't know anymore.

Well I did search for this item and didn't found anything and the source was reported as yesterday but I'll take your word for it, if there's a previous thread I'm sure this can be eventually merged.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Other than squeezing more from their consumers, I never understood microtransactions, and I especially don't understand them in a single player game. Like, come on Squeenix, was this really necessary? No, no it was not.

COMIC SANS

Just another game I probably wont buy... <_<

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Other than squeezing more from their consumers, I never understood microtransactions, and I especially don't understand them in a single player game. Like, come on Squeenix, was this really necessary? No, no it was not.

This one has (what I'm sure will turn out to be rushed and shitty) multiplayer component and those supposedly only apply for Multiplayer but it's not clear if you need to play single player to unlock multiplayer stuff....you know other than paying.

If I understand the scheme (because it really earns the name) if you wanna do the cool shit and have an edge on multiplayer, you can either pay or log off and go play single player more, likely as an incentive for you to not discontinue your multiplayer session and just cough up cash.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Sadly this is one of my favorite series, I bought the whole collection to keep them in digital format if I ever wanted to comeback to relive old times, I just hope its well made and that micro-transactions don't affect it, specially single player, multiplayer I don't care much for, as I did for Tomb Raider.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

I remember the days when they used to put in those features for fun. Now we pay for cheat codes guys.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

Damn! And I was looking forward to this game too.

I remember the days when they used to put in those features for fun. Now we pay for cheat codes guys.

And even then, some companies allowed you to call them free of charge for the codes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

As TB once famously said:

http://i.imgur.com/W5ilaun.png

I wish microtransactions never existed.

Ditto, but mobile games have thoroughly poisoned PC gaming.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm repeating myself here, but:

meh.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yeah, it all really depends on what these MTX items are. If they are cosmetics I couldnt give a crap about them being in the game.

It won't stop me buying and enjoying the game for the money I paid.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Meh, I'll get it from grey hat key site for cheap, play SP then uninstall and never touched it again.

I despise MP and I abhor microtransactions so I'm not giving SE any money for ROTR, not only did they tack on a giant cash cow but they sold out to Microsoft as well. Talk about having your cake and eating it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)