Fallout 4 being completely voiced -

Hunched

This isn't news, but I'm curious how others feel about it, whether it's a good or a bad thing.

By having everything voiced, dialogue options are reduced.

It appears they've been reduced to a maximum of 4 dialogue options at every given choice, you choose with the main 4 buttons on the Xbox or PS4 controller.

Pillars of Eternity (from the developers of Fallout New Vegas) goes the exact opposite route of Fallout 4, by having little voice acting but almost an overwhelming amount of text based dialogue.

Fallout 4 is being simplified, or dumbed down as many will say from its predecessors, which is true. That's the cost of voicing every line of dialogue, you have to compromise.

I'm on the fence, but more leaning towards not liking this. I really don't think listening to someone is better than having more dialogue choices...

(I accidentally hit enter, Good or Bad was supposed to be after the "-" in the topic title)

I fell when there is no voice, you feel more like you actually are the character in the game.

Gordon Freeman...

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

Will let you know when i have played it :)

I don't see what that will tell you that we don't already know. We've heard and seen dialogue interaction in the game already.

Dragon Age Inquisition is fully voiced and the incredible implementation therein almost single-handedly makes the game. (Bioware has issues, but lip syncing is not one of them... holy fuck. It makes Witcher 3 look cringe-worthy in comparison.)

BTW having played Pillars of Eternity literally my single biggest complaint was a lack of voice acting. It is so frustratingly dull at times without people talking.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I was originally skeptical but I came to terms with it. I think it'll get me more immersed with the character. Like with The Witcher.

I know, two completely different style RPG's. But the point remains. I think it's a good thing. 

I don't see what that will tell you that we don't already know. We've heard and seen dialogue interaction in the game already.

We've seen what the Xbox one can offer, literally the worst Fallout 4 will ever run. The environment will impact immersion and that will impact how well the voice of our character impacts the game.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I fell when there is no voice, you feel more like you actually are the character in the game.

That depends. Are you playing a shoehorned character without any real options except what the devs thought before hand *cough* Witcher 3, Skyrim *cough* or are you actually your own person going out in the world to be whatever the hell you want to be from scratch (not that it is perfect, but again I've never felt more in sync with the actual character and world than in DA:I.)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

We've seen what the Xbox one can offer, literally the worst Fallout 4 will ever run. The environment will impact immersion and that will impact how well the voice of our character impacts the game.

Lol what? The graphics and framerate will be better, but that's it. It's going to sound the same, and instead of abxy you'll choose with your mouse or whatever.

It's a good idea in theory but I frankly don't trust Bethesda to pull it off.  Maybe if they had the writers from CDProjekt Red or Obsidian, I'd be excited but Bethesda doesn't exactly have the best track record with writing compelling dialogue.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

It's a good idea in theory but I frankly don't trust Bethesda to pull it off.  Maybe if they had the writers from CDProjekt Red or Obsidian, I'd be excited but Bethesda doesn't exactly have the best track record with writing compelling dialogue.

Or (god my tongue... it hurts) EA/Bioware...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

That depends. Are you playing a shoehorned character without any real options except what the devs thought before hand *cough* Witcher 3, Skyrim *cough* or are you actually your own person going out in the world to be whatever the hell you want to be from scratch (not that it is perfect, but again I've never felt more in sync with the actual character and world than in DA:I.)

Well, your decisions do have major effects on the world and can have completely different outcomes. So you do have real options. 

If you mean you can't go and do shit like murder civilians for the hell of it, then that's a good thing. The games are based on books. You're role-playing Geralt. Geralt wouldn't go and murder innocents or do stupid shit like you would do in Bethesda games. 

Well, your decisions do have major effects on the world and can have completely different outcomes. So you do have real options. 

If you mean you can't go and do shit like murder civilians for the hell of it, then that's a good thing. The games are based on books. You're role-playing Geralt. Geralt wouldn't go and murder innocents or do stupid shit like you would do in Bethesda games. 

In some ways... Your word choice though and base character is completely immutable which is completely immersion killing for me at times as I am not Geralt or most prototypical gamers. I actually can enjoy some of the final minutia that Geralt just refuses to give two shits about.

It's funny because in many ways games like Pillars of Eterity and DA:I your decisions don't often actually matter as much as they do in Witcher, but something as simple as the ability to be angry, passionate, sarcastic, pensive, or ambivalent literally whenever you want is a huge difference in your perceived immersion.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Lol what? The graphics and framerate will be better, but that's it. It's going to sound the same, and instead of abxy you'll choose with your mouse or whatever.

You didn't understand. The graphics impacts the environment, the environment impacts immersion, immersion leads to suffering,,, I mean how immersed you are in the game will impact the success of the voice over.

we wouldn't know how good of a job bethesda will do until it comes out. but if you're speaking of it now, i wouldn't really mind. it comes out in less than a month anyways and i imagine enough people will play it to know first-hand if a voiced protag really works. 

You didn't understand. The graphics impacts the environment, the environment impacts immersion, immersion leads to suffering,,, I mean how immersed you are in the game will impact the success of the voice over.

I really don't think so.

I can run the game on all low or maxed out and I can promise you the voice acting will be exactly as impressive or unimpressive to me.

The only visual thing that would help voice acting as far as I'm concerned is good lip sync and facial movement, which again will be identical across all platforms.

Also I won't ever see my face in first person so that doesn't matter.

Personally, I find the soundtrack and sound effects to be the biggest contributor to getting immersed in a game world.  the original Resident Evils for the Playstation are a perfect example of this because they looked like ass and the dialogue was legendarily bad but the music and creepy sound effects gave those games a layer of depth and realism few others have achieved.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

In some ways... Your word choice though and base character is completely immutable which is completely immersion killing for me at times as I am not Geralt or most prototypical gamers. I actually can enjoy some of the final minutia that Geralt just refuses to give two shits about.

It's funny because in many ways games like Pillars of Eterity and DA:I your decisions don't often actually matter as much as they do in Witcher, but something as simple as the ability to be angry, passionate, sarcastic, pensive, or ambivalent literally whenever you want is a huge difference in your perceived immersion.

Eh. Geralt in the books doesn't  usually convey his emotions.

Other than the ones close to him, he's supposed to be rather cold. 

I do get what you're saying, though. 

I hate reading, I just skip it all. So yes, I like it being dumbed down and being read to me :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Eh, Geralt in the books doesn't really usually convey his emotions.

Other than the ones close to him, he's supposed to be rather cold. 

I do get what you're saying, though. 

I know, and I still enjoy the game, but every once in a while I have to step back and be like... well its Geralt... not me this is about. (which imho isn't a good template to be aiming after for most RPG's...)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I hate reading, I just skip it all. So yes, I like it being dumbed down and being read to me :D

Ahh see I love reading, but I sometimes have issues giving a shit if there isn't voices saying the words too (I can always read faster than they talk with subtitles anyways.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

i like when it talks to me. I didnt buy some game to read a novel. if i wanted to do that id go read the phonebook. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

i like when it talks to me. I didnt buy some game to read a novel. if i wanted to do that id go read the phonebook. 

You must hate every RPG that's 10-15+ years old.

They're pretty good

I really don't think so.

I can run the game on all low or maxed out and I can promise you the voice acting will be exactly as impressive or unimpressive to me.

The only visual thing that would help voice acting as far as I'm concerned is good lip sync and facial movement, which again will be identical across all platforms.

Also I won't ever see my face in first person so that doesn't matter.

Interactions are in 3rd person, so you will see your face. I've caught all the interviews with the voice over team, it's pretty clear they tried their best and the project meant a lot to them. But you asked a question, I answered it :)