2 Gamers, 1 CPU - Virtualized Gaming Build Log

But what about a "true" Superhero transformer setup.

By day

The "normal" gamer's power rig. 3 Monitors. Dual Graphic Cards.  Running full out, balls to the walls.

By night.

Your BFF stops by.

Your system transforms into a dual gaming rig

One monitor/Graphics Card for him and one for you.

Now you're both playing, dual combat, for team play or just wailing on each other.

Kinda blows when you have to have 2 different model graphic cards for each VM  :(

Or do you think it's still possible.

Kinda blows when you have to have 2 different model graphic cards for each VM  :(

Are you sure? Linus was only talking about USB devices (mouse, keyboard and headsets), that they must be different models.

Nothing about different GPU models. I have two TitanX and it will suck if that's the case.

OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 / CASE: Corsair Graphite 780T / MOBO: MSI X99S GAMING 7 / PSU: Corsair RM850, 80 PLUS Gold / CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X @3.5 GHz / RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB DDR4 2133 Mhz / GPU: 2x MSI GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB / SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB / SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 240 GB / SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 480 GB / HDD: ST1000DM003-1CH162 1TB / MIC: Blue Yeti USB / HEADSET: SteelSeries Siberia V2 MSI Dragon Army Limited Edition / REC: Action! & OBS / MOUSE: Logitech T400 / CAM: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 / PAD: Xbox One Controller for Windows PC / NET: Unlimited LTE 150/40 Mb/s

This was one of my favorite videos here in a while. Something I think many people would love to do if possible. I know I would and actually my brother and I are considering this for our apartment. It could be used by roommates or as on person posted even a setup for their kids. More videos like this @LinusTech.

Sidenote: My favorite set of the new building.

You do *not* need different models of video cards, generally.  As has been noted earlier in this thread (and I think Linus mentioned it in his video, though it's been some time since I've watched it), if you do use matching cards, they might get grouped together, and you'll need to try a work-around, which is not guaranteed to work.

Are you sure? Linus was only talking about USB devices (mouse, keyboard and headsets), that they must be different models.
Nothing about different GPU models. I have two TitanX and it will suck if that's the case.

Guys

If I decide to move from ESXi to KVM/Unraid, can I simply convert my VMDK files using the command below?

/usr/bin/amd64/qemu-img convert -O qcow2 windows_workstation.dev.syneto.net.vmdk disk1.qcow2

Is there a simpler way of migrating my VMDK files to be used in Unraid? Step by step instructions would be helpful

cheers

That doesn't really matter. You can use whatever you like as long as they aren't the same as each other.

In more advanced configurations you can pass through us controllers to the virtual machines and avoid this issue but this guide was intended to cover the basics.

It would be easier to say the name of the mouse rather than this long post

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Why not simply export your VM's to the .ofv format, then import them into KVM?

Guys

If I decide to move from ESXi to KVM/Unraid, can I simply convert my VMDK files using the command below?

/usr/bin/amd64/qemu-img convert -O qcow2 windows_workstation.dev.syneto.net.vmdk disk1.qcow2

Is there a simpler way of migrating my VMDK files to be used in Unraid? Step by step instructions would be helpful

cheers

Anyone have any idea whats up with the weird read write performance im getting?

I'll need to replicate your test to see.  Can you provide step-by-step instructions on what you did to test this so I can do the same?

Guys

cheers

Step-by-step instructions right there showing you what to do in unRAID to convert.

From what I saw and read. You need a minimum of 3 video cards. 2 "good" cards for gaming and 1 basic card for the unRaid Host.  The Video used 2 different Gaming cards which would be less than ideal for a regular SLI setup. As was noted, you could use 2 identical video cards, a workaround and "hope" it works but unless you got a lot of time and equipment to test with this, it's not a practical idea for most of us. Different keyboards and mice is a matter of personal preferences and most of us could identify at least 2 models that we find "useable".

I'll need to replicate your test to see.  Can you provide step-by-step instructions on what you did to test this so I can do the same?

Im using a i5 6600k

Asus Z170 Deluxe

GTX 770

GTX 970

2x8GB DDR4

3x3TB WD Red Hard drives

I installed UnRAID

formatted 2 drives and put them into an array

set the 3rd drive as a cache drive (but didnt format it or tell any of my shares to use the cache)

made all the folders linus mentioned in his video put them all on the array

Made 2 VMs

installed windows 8.1 on one VM and windows 7 on the other

noticed the hard drive performance seemed slow at times on each of the VMs

Downloaded CrystalDiskMark

when I run CDM on one VM with the other turned off I get 1.8-2.4GB/s Read speed and the test starts within a normal amount of time as any of my normal computers maybe even a little faster

when I run CDM on one VM with the other turned on I get 50-100MB/s Read speed and the test takes significantly longer to start than my normal computers

when I run CDM on both VMs at the same time I get about 25MB/s Read speed and the test takes very long to start on either VM

at some point during the tests I realized my cahce drive wasnt formatted and wasnt set to be used by any of my Shares, I formatted it and told the vdisks share which I had the OSes installed on to use it but it doesnt seem to make a difference in the CDM numbers, do you have to reboot UnRAID after changing the Use cache disk setting?

For the record both my desktop and laptop run off of SSD which get about 450MB/s Read speed.

I only mention read speed because I havent payed as much attention to their write speed since its similarly fast (or slow) in relation to the read performance numbers.

Need me to get any other info from anywhere?

UnRAID info? Screenshots?

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

Im using a i5 6600k

Asus Z170 Deluxe

GTX 770

GTX 970

2x8GB DDR4

3x3TB WD Red Hard drives

I installed UnRAID

formatted 2 drives and put them into an array

set the 3rd drive as a cache drive (but didnt format it or tell any of my shares to use the cache)

made all the folders linus mentioned in his video put them all on the array

Made 2 VMs

installed windows 8.1 on one VM and windows 7 on the other

noticed the hard drive performance seemed slow at times on each of the VMs

Downloaded CrystalDiskMark

when I run CDM on one VM with the other turned off I get 1.8-2.4GB/s Read speed and the test starts within a normal amount of time as any of my normal computers maybe even a little faster

when I run CDM on one VM with the other turned on I get 50-100MB/s Read speed and the test takes significantly longer to start than my normal computers

when I run CDM on both VMs at the same time I get about 25MB/s Read speed and the test takes very long to start on either VM

at some point during the tests I realized my cahce drive wasnt formatted and wasnt set to be used by any of my Shares, I formatted it and told the vdisks share which I had the OSes installed on to use it but it doesnt seem to make a difference in the CDM numbers, do you have to reboot UnRAID after changing the Use cache disk setting?

For the record both my desktop and laptop run off of SSD which get about 450MB/s Read speed.

I only mention read speed because I havent payed as much attention to their write speed since its similarly fast (or slow) in relation to the read performance numbers.

Need me to get any other info from anywhere?

UnRAID info? Screenshots?

So on the read tests reporting 1.8-2.4 GB/s, my only guess is that when your running the VM and just the VM, nothing else, the data sample being read probably existed in RAM because of the way the virtual disk controller works.  Imagine if you had as much memory on your system inside just a single SATA controller for write caching.  That's how virtual disks work with emulated controllers.  When you had multiple VMs at the same time, memory was probably being eaten up so the sample data was probably flushed out of RAM, causing real performance to show.

Now when you have multiple VMs running at the same time and off the same physical disk, you will definitely see a performance drop because you're putting the IO needs for two operating systems on one single physical rotating disk.  This is why we recommend using a cache for the VM images, and specifically SSDs over HDDs as they are better suited for supporting the IO needs of multiple OSes on a single physical storage device.

Now we may be able to improve performance for vdisks on array devices in an upcoming release of unRAID.  We have been experimenting with some changes and have been able to improve things a bit, but generally speaking, we recommend OS virtual disks on SSDs in the cache pool.

Say I wanted to build a dual or even triple head gaming unRAID server. Would my 4790k be more than sufficient to run two VMs when both are gaming? Because I was looking at possibly build a ungodly priced(for me, but not really) dual-socket Westmere server. The specs for that server

Xeon X5672 4c 3.2GHz x 2 ($300 on EBay combined) w/ CoolerMaster 212 Evo

SuperMicro MBD-X8DAi-O Dual Socket LGA 1366 w/ PCI-E 16x x2

WD Red 2TB x4

6x4GB(24GB) ECC Registed

1050w PSU

GTX 980 Ti x2(Already own one)

This comes out to $2500 total after all said and done. Now if my current CPU is capable of handling two VMs, than I am fine with not having to upgrade. But it's something I want to make sure before I go about doing all this.

And hey, that $1800 I save can be used to fill out a second Steam account with games.

You could also use Zero Clients

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

From what I've seen, not only does that take special (and expensive) software, it also requires you to buy the ZC's (which can get to several hundred dollars a piece)...

You could also use Zero Clients

Is this possible to do on a AMD based build?

• Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.2Ghz
  • Memory: Corsair 32GB 1600 RAM
  • Hard Drive: 128GB SSD/1TB HDD 7200rpm x2
  • Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 390 x2
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3Computer

Is this possible to do on a AMD based build?

• Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.2Ghz
  • Memory: Corsair 32GB 1600 RAM
  • Hard Drive: 128GB SSD/1TB HDD 7200rpm x2
  • Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 390 x2
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3Computer
Yes if your motherboard and cpu support virtualization.

Is there a way to import OVF files directly in to UNRAID 6? I am exporting my complete ESXi lab to OVF ready for this :-)

thanks

Is there a way to import OVF files directly in to UNRAID 6? I am exporting my complete ESXi lab to OVF ready for this :-)

thanks

I did a video on converting VMDK to RAW using a command line tool.  post #190 in this thread.

I want to do this to but I am running this:

Cpu: Intel i7 6700K 

Mobo: MSI Z170 M9 ACK

Ssd: 2x Samsung 850evo 500GB

Psu: Corsair RM 650

RAM: Kingston Hyperx 32gb DDR4 2666MHZ 15cl

Gpu: 2x MSI GTX 970 4GB

Case: Corsair 780T Black

Is it possible to do the gaming virtualisation to create 2 Gaming rigs with my I7 6700K? 

Can he handle that?

Does someone have a step-by-step guide for passing through a nvidia GPU and/or AMD GPU in Unraid 6?

I have both cards, a 980ti and 7750HD and want to pass each of them through to seperate VMs.

Many thanks!

So this video had struck a cord with me.

I have a pretty powerful pc and was thinking can I use my desktop to run my games for me when I am out and about on my laptop?

If I could what programs do I need? How can I go about getting this idea to work?

the parts I have is

i7 5930k
asus x99 ws
32g ddr4 

2x titian (watercooled)

1000w psu

840pro 512g ssd

2x 1tb hdd

windows 10

If you're talking about using your desktop to stream your games to your laptop, you won't like it.  The input / screen lag will drive you crazy.

So this video had struck a cord with me.

I have a pretty powerful pc and was thinking can I use my desktop to run my games for me when I am out and about on my laptop?

If I could what programs do I need? How can I go about getting this idea to work?

the parts I have is

i7 5930k
asus x99 ws
32g ddr4 

2x titian (watercooled)

1000w psu

840pro 512g ssd

2x 1tb hdd

windows 10

If you're talking about using your desktop to stream your games to your laptop, you won't like it.  The input / screen lag will drive you crazy.

I actually tried this at home with steam and it worked pretty well over 5ghz WIFI. On the road would be a completely different experience though.