2 Gamers, 1 CPU - Virtualized Gaming Build Log

Can't eSATA actually supply power to the device, too?

No. It connects to an internal SATA port.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

A year ago this month, I actually built a system similar to what's in the video that spawned this forum thread (though with hardware no where near as powerful) because I had too many project PC's sitting around the house, all doing one or two things, using no where near all the horsepower of the rigs in which they were housed, while sucking up a bunch of power and creating a bunch of noise.  In the end, I reclaimed a bit of storage space, my electric bill noticeably lowered, and I sold off some of the parts from the individual systems to off-set the bits I picked up to build for the VM host (which runs ESXi 6 instead of UNraid).

A side benefit was lowering the noise level in the house.  All the individual machines I had running were, I thought, pretty quiet.  I didn't realize how much noise there was until they were all powered down... lol  Having noise in the house isn't an issue for me, since I live alone, but for anyone with a significant other / kids, this could be a good thing.   :)

This inspires me to finally build myself one! so many projects piling up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at doing a build similar to this so my wife and I can play games side by side from the same machine. The only question I have is if the number of cores available for the virtual machines will be double the physical cores like shown in the video if I use an AMD processor, such as the AMD FX-8350. If someone here knows the answer that would help me decide whether or not to pull the trigger on this build.

Link to the CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

I think the next step in this evolution is using 2 cases for 1 PC! Not even sure if this is possible, but having 4 GPU's in 1 case for optimal cooling and then using the other case for CPU and a pseudo server would be pretty sick!

So would a concept like this work to share my 4790K, 32 GB RAM, etc. with my parents?  I do have another thread active on having them build their own PC, but maybe this could be an option?  And porting my existing Windows 10 install (upgraded from 7 Pro OEM) to a VM would probably be a bit tricky as well.  Also their monitor, keyboard, mouse would be like 15-20 feet across the room and I may even move my PC to another room in the house sometime.  (And when I move out when I hope to do someday, they'll need a PC then anyway.)

LinusTechTips? I would love to add a few drives to boot to when I want to use unraid to split my 970s and play with a friend, but also keep a main os on another drive separate from unraid with my 970's in sli when i want all the horse power for myself. Is this possible or will unraid detect and format all drives for itself?

It has been mentioned in this thread that running 3 VM's on a setup like this would be very easy to do...Obviously I would need a third card and more ram. However looking at the motherboard 3 vid cards, I am going to use three GTX 970's, would not fit on the board. What other board would be recommended for a build like this that would support three vid cards plus one for the unRaid software?

Thanks

If you don't have physical space for the third card, but have the PCIe lanes / slot, you could always add the third card via PCIe riser...

It has been mentioned in this thread that running 3 VM's on a setup like this would be very easy to do...Obviously I would need a third card and more ram. However looking at the motherboard 3 vid cards, I am going to use three GTX 970's, would not fit on the board. What other board would be recommended for a build like this that would support three vid cards plus one for the unRaid software?

Thanks

If you don't have physical space for the third card, but have the PCIe lanes / slot, you could always add the third card via PCIe riser...

I had considered that but looking at the physical hardware I dont think a riser is going to work. However after further research (and poking around on the forums) I was able to find this build http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/419726-the-compensator-build-log/ which refers to this https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99E_WS/overview/ motherboard, and it looks like it will fit the bill just fine.

This is really starting to look like a 4k+ build, however the space I have in the office and the need for the 3 heads ... well it will be more than worth it.

Thanks

All,

A couple of questions about a build like this. Besides a couple minor tweaks in the hardware list the biggest change will be wanting to run three VM's instead of two.

The first "station" will be next to the computer so cables are not such a big issue. The other two stations can be up to 16' (roughly 6 meters) away from the case. What would be the best/simplest way to run the video for something like this; long HDMI cable/Ethernet/USB/wireless/smoke signals/magic?

I will need to run a separate USB hub just to support 6 transceivers for the keyboard/mouse. I would also like to give each "station" its own USB hub. Is something like that possible?

As they say the devil is in the details, I am just trying to work out the details before I pull the trigger on something like this.

Thanks

For your cabling question, I don't know about the USB cables, the a 16' (probably 20', as I don't know if a 16' cable exists) HDMI cable should be fine.  

As for the USB support -- if your mainboard doesn't present its pairs of USB ports to the host OS separately (like my HP Z800 mainboard does), you'll need a PCIe card for each VM, which you'll use 'pcipassthrough' to attach to each VM just as you'd do with the video cards.  Regardless of how you get a USB port to each VM, once you do, you can attach a USB hub to provide enough ports for keyboard, mouse, USB sticks, etc...  :)

All,

A couple of questions about a build like this. Besides a couple minor tweaks in the hardware list the biggest change will be wanting to run three VM's instead of two.

The first "station" will be next to the computer so cables are not such a big issue. The other two stations can be up to 16' (roughly 6 meters) away from the case. What would be the best/simplest way to run the video for something like this; long HDMI cable/Ethernet/USB/wireless/smoke signals/magic?

I will need to run a separate USB hub just to support 6 transceivers for the keyboard/mouse. I would also like to give each "station" its own USB hub. Is something like that possible?

As they say the devil is in the details, I am just trying to work out the details before I pull the trigger on something like this.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There is a program called Aster multiseat for windows that you can use for this. It is much simpler but what i wonder is the performance between Aster and Linus method.

Hey guys, 

I'm interested in building a rig with some VM's but I have a few questions, hope you guys can answer!

How do you switch between VM's? Or how do I turn on a VM when the NAS part is already running? (I know I can let a VM start when the system is powered on, but I want my NAS to be powered on all the time.)

Can I assign a GPU to multiple VM's? For instance I would tie a GPU to an OpenElec VM, as well as a Windows VM and a Steam OS VM, of course none of them would be running together. I saw it on a video of Jon in a schematic but is it as simple as just assigning them to three VM's? 

Thanks!

If I want to do LAN multiplayer, can I use two Gb LAN cards and a crossover cable? Or is there a virtual LAN device that can be set up that can communicate by emulating a speed it can talk to itself at(1-10Gb?)?

If I want to do LAN multiplayer, can I use two Gb LAN cards and a crossover cable? Or is there a virtual LAN device that can be set up that can communicate by emulating a speed it can talk to itself at(1-10Gb?)?

No need to do anything special. We take care of all of that for you. Even with only one NIC and two VMs, you can both play online and against each other.

is there a way to do this with a quad core and 16gb ram? like play star wars battlefront on 2 screens of the same system? so me any my friend can play at the same time?

Do you have two GPU' s? 

It'll be pretty bad, but it'll work.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

yeah but you would split into dual cores with 8 GB ram and whatever gpus

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Of course, it's the same exact process you just have to do the CPU&RAM settings slightly differently than Linus has.

Do you have two GPU' s? 

It'll be pretty bad, but it'll work.

my 980 for my side and my 760 for his side 

Or you can use the CM HAF Stacker

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

Technically it is ok but, its going to bottleneck the GPUs. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q