Games for Windows Marketplace to close next week

So it has finally come to an end? Yes!

Xbox.png

Xbox.com’s PC store, the Games for Windows Marketplace, is set to shut down next week, as announced by Microsoft’s almost comically outdated Games for Windows Facebook page. According to their post, users will no longer be able to buy games through the service. The Games for Windows Clientwill still provide access to existing purchases.

The full statement:

“As part of the upcoming Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired, and the Xbox.com PC marketplace will be closed as of August 22, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows LIVE client software as usual.”

The post then links a support article. For a while, clicking that link led to this:

Support-610x289.png

Which is as fitting an end as any to Xbox’s PC Support.

It’s now been updated, and you can read the full FAQ here.

Of particular note, the passage about downloadable content:

“In-game purchases and other downloadable content purchase availability will vary based on the particular game. Please contact specific game publisher for more information.”

Interestingly, earlier in the month, NeoGAF spotted references to the previously Marketplace only Bioshock 2 DLC Minerva’s Den in the Steam database. With luck, the GfW store’s closure will see the excellent add-on become more easily available.

Earlier today, Microsoft also made news with the appointment of ex-Steam boss Jason Holtman. He is now working on their PC gaming and entertainment strategy.

Source:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/15/gfw-pc-marketplace-to-close-next-week/

*In case this was posted before I did search and didn't find it, probably to the lack of tags by the previous poster.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

Bye Bye Games for Window Live :D only thing i used it for was talking to friends that were on the xbox at the time.

Actually, I think it's because Microsoft is revamping the entire Games for Windows Live entirely.

They recently hired the guy that made Steam, and he is not part of the XBox team if you wonder. So, PC gaming is whats being targeted.

i heard Microsoft got some big guy who worked for steam. Maybe this is part of that.

Edit: Darn @GoodBytes you beat me to it.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

THANK THE LOAARD!!!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Honestly I didn't even know what this was. I hate GFWL though. I hate it hardcore.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I'll say it. Origin > Uplay > GFWL.

Not even including Steam, cause.. You know, Steam is awesome.

Does this mean that whatever microsoft points you have on your xbox live account will be thrown away?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Does this mean that whatever microsoft points you have on your xbox live account will be thrown away?

Yep, in a sense.

well

Yep, in a sense.

well crap i just bought one of my friends Microsoft points because i can't convince him to buy a computer for gaming

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

Seriously? FML

well

well crap i just bought one of my friends Microsoft points because i can't convince him to buy a computer for gaming

Well it says to spend your points while there is time, cause the store won't exist for much longer. At least that's the idea I got after reading this :p

well

This has been in the news for a while. X-Box is switching over to real currency for LIVE. Windows LIVE is just following suit. You'll want to make sure your friend spends those points ASAP.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well it says to spend your points while there is time, cause the store won't exist for much longer. At least that's the idea I got after reading this :P

No I just looked on the FAQ all points will be converted into currency. Its all good. You can even still redeem MSP gift-cards and what not for the foreseeable future after the change. 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

What will happen to Microsoft Points Cards? 

Xbox Gift Cards (denominated in your local currency) will be available for purchase in retail stores and through online retailers later this year. Microsoft Points Cards you purchase at retail will continue to be redeemable on your console and Xbox.com until further notice. Microsoft has no plans to discontinue acceptance of previously purchased Points cards and codes.

What if I have codes and/or Microsoft Points Cards that I haven’t yet redeemed after the transition? 

Go ahead and redeem them! Even after your account transitions, we’ll still accept purchased Microsoft Points Cards and codes until further notice, and we’ll add to your account an amount of local currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of those points. When you redeem a Points card or code, those Points will be retired, and your account will begin using your local currency instead. Microsoft Points cards and codes that you purchased and redeem after the transition will expire one year from the date the Points are redeemed.

Many of us have been speculating that Microsoft is getting rid of GFWL permanently and just having their games be solely on Steam/Origin.

It looks like Halo 2 is dead multiplayer wise, but we might see a return soon...

Many of us have been speculating that Microsoft is getting rid of GFWL permanently and just having their games be solely on Steam/Origin.

It looks like Halo 2 is dead multiplayer wise, but we might see a return soon...

Well, I haven't played it since it first came out on PC, but the Halo 2 port was GAWD AWFUL! The game itself was good plotwise, and gameplay was decent, but the UI wasn't even modified. It was the laziest damn port I've seen. When you went to the controls section of the menu, it showed a friggin XBox controller, and all the ingame control popups showed the same.

But, if they re-released it for Steam, and actually made a decent port (Eg: Fixed the GUI issues and made a proper menu), then it could really rekindle it's community.

If they released the Halo games (1-3 at least) on Steam, I'd pick em up in a heart beat. I have Halo: CE around somewhere, if I could ever find the disc for it, but I'd probably re-buy it on Steam for the convenience sake if the price was right.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

:')

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |