PCI 4.0

Wishiwasdead

so just want to get your guys thoughts on upgrading stuff like CPU, MoBo and, GPUs with PCI 4.0 coming out sometime aroud 2017 (think)

i have my own thoughts on this but im way to tired right now to write them down in a clear thought... but basically should i / we be holding off on our upgrades since we will probably be seeing a huge performance spike in GPUs once the PCI 4.0 comes out which will require a new mobo & GPU & CPU upgrade anyways... and the new SSDs that pug into PCI slots as well...

maybe tomorrow i will be more awake... fml...

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

You're not being serious are you?

No

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Well most people upgrade some parts every year... maybe not a full system, but there wouldn't be much point in waiting possibly two years maybe longer when we're already upgrading anyways.

so just want to get your guys thoughts on upgrading stuff like CPU, MoBo and, GPUs with PCI 4.0 coming out sometime aroud 2017 (think)

i have my own thoughts on this but im way to tired right now to write them down in a clear thought... but basically should i / we be holding off on our upgrades since we will probably be seeing a huge performance spike in GPUs once the PCI 4.0 comes out which will require a new mobo & GPU & CPU upgrade anyways... and the new SSDs that pug into PCI slots as well...

Go back to bed, you're drunk

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

first this is a computer stuff so dont put it on off-topic, put it on General Discussion

were good at PCIe 3

I think the OP has been smoking something also,

Did I mention...

I

Have

Friend

that

lives

in

Jakarta?

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

ok so performance spike might have been a bit of a stretch but the new graphics cards with 4.0 wont be backwards compatible with 3.0  - so even no 'HUGE' performance spike it would still require a pretty much full system upgrade to buy a new GPU

and im pretty sure the new PCI SSDs will be faster once 4.0 versions of them come out

and im pretty sure the new PCI SSDs will be faster once 4.0 versions of them come out

which is more then likely the next thing in my PC i would want to upgrade

Okay, please know that PCI-E is the connection point between the CPU and graphics card. At the moment, we don't need faster transfer speeds between them since they aren't sending enough data to saturate that connection currently. I don't know how quickly that will change, but don't worry yourself; PCI-E is probably the last of your worries right now, and future-proofing is mostly a pipe dream anyway.

There are probably a lot of complexities that I missed that people like @LukaP can fill you in on if you're interested, but I think that's the basic rundown.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Short answer: No, we shouldn't wait for it and it isn't worth it

Long answer:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,15.html

last i hear pcie was like 2018 or something,they can further extend the tech to sell of the stagnant board current tech based mobo for profit

Details separate people.

ok so performance spike might have been a bit of a stretch but the new graphics cards with 4.0 wont be backwards compatible with 3.0  - so even no 'HUGE' performance spike it would still require a pretty much full system upgrade to buy a new GPU

Why wouldn't they be backwards compatible? They have up to this point, and it would be stupid for them not to be. They can't expect everyone to upgrade, and it would result in a lot of angry consumers, and thus a loss of money.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

GPUs would still not be affected even if they ran on PCI-e 2.0. 4.0 will (at least for now) be completely irrelevant for gaming.

Read this:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,13.html

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

we didnt even create a 16x PCIe SSD :P

i didnt even think of that...

did i did something wrong :(

No it's just fun lol