Microsoft applies for patent on multi-OS smartphone

CaptainGazzz

For those asking how it got patented, you guy aren't reading the patent. The patent covers a specific way to dual boot on phones. A boot selection screen isn't just a st[id menu that takes 5 sec to program. It is for a reason why chooses for multi-boot thing, is limited. It is actually complicated.

In Windows 8 and up, when you have the dual boot screen, Windows has already loaded. If you pick Win8, boom login screen is what you'll see. Pick another OS then the system reboots, and loads the other OS. In this specific case, Microsoft wanted a boot menu that support GPU, for rich high resolution experience, touch support, pen support, keyboard and mouse. So might as well load the whole OS.

I think this is great. Anyone that touched a Windows Phone will tell you how freaking amazing it is. Even on a super low end phone, the OS experience in terms of response and speed (navigating the OS that is) is on par to an iPhone.

Everyone I talk to, WANT a Windows Phone, but stick to Android, because of lack of apps.

That is why Windows 10 is free (apps in the apps store works on phone, tablet and pc), Microsoft made Visual Studio Code (free), and worked on a porting system from iOS or Android to Windows Apps (universal apps, the apps that runs, as mentioned, on Windows Phone, tablet, and well your computer).

Not sure if serious, or joking.

I have a Windows 8 phone, it's not bad, but I can't stand the stupid bing button. It's in the perfect place to be accidentally hit by my thumb, thus interrupting anything I am doing with useless ass bing.

Also it's dying. It won't take a charge from a USB port anymore, only the wall, and only if I tape the cord to keep pressure on the charging port. Although that's more of a problem with the Nokia Lumia 822 rather than the OS.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Windows and Android on one phone? I can't see why anyone would want to use Windows Phone instead of Android, but still the option is nice. What is exiting though, is the option to run both at the same time.

Source: http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-multi-os-smartphone/

1. Microsoft fuck off

2. Asus had a desktop that was ready for production, advertised, and were taking orders. Now the desktop had a removable touch screen which was a tablet with Android built in, and the ability to wirelessly display the Windows desktop from the dock computer while also allowing you to control it via the touch screen. Asus however had to cancel it due to Microsoft bitching and moaning about their OS been used alongside Android.

3. There was also an Asus tablet along the same lines:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/178552-microsoft-google-kill-off-intel-and-asus-dual-os-tablet-effort

https://gigaom.com/2014/01/03/sorry-dual-os-windows-8-and-android-computers-wont-save-the-pc-market/

http://transformeraio.asus.com/

Again, MICROSOFT FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING CONARTISTS

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A patent about seamlessly using 2 operating systems on a single device has nothing to do with technology that exists and predates it that lets you...and get ready for this....seamlessly use 2 operating systems on a single device.

You...really don't understand what virtualization is do you? Tell me more about the hypervisor they're going to use? Oh wait, they aren't going to use a hypervisor because they aren't virtualizing anything.

"Patent application US20150277929, from March 2014, suggests that handsets could be delivered with multiple operating systems available in a compressed form, with a boot loader which offers a choice of which operating system to install. After this process is performed the non-selected operating systems may be deleted."

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I think this is great. Anyone that touched a Windows Phone will tell you how freaking amazing it is. Even on a super low end phone, the OS experience in terms of response and speed (navigating the OS that is) is on par to an iPhone.

Everyone I talk to, WANT a Windows Phone, but stick to Android, because of lack of apps.

That is why Windows 10 is free (apps in the apps store works on phone, tablet and pc), Microsoft made Visual Studio Code (free), and worked on a porting system from iOS or Android to Windows Apps (universal apps, the apps that runs, as mentioned, on Windows Phone, tablet, and well your computer).

You must be joking, right? Windows Phone is the most retarded OS I've ever used! So retarded I had to go back to my old 4S, reputing the 920 back in it's box, for a couple of month will I wait to rack up enough dough to buy the Note 2

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just a reminder that most patents that go through the USPTO don't actually get used.

I remember when ASUS made laptop that had Android and Windows and you could switch between them just by pressing a button and you would be in the different OS almost instantly... but Google and MS did not liked it....

Now MS does it...

Such inovation... much wow.

You must be joking, right? Windows Phone is the most retarded OS I've ever used! So retarded I had to go back to my old 4S, reputing the 920 back in it's box, for a couple of month will I wait to rack up enough dough to buy the Note 2

Everyone to his own. I like WP experience way better than Android and I had no problem finding any app I needed or wanted.

I remember when ASUS made laptop that had Android and Windows and you could switch between them just by pressing a button and you would be in the different OS almost instantly... but Google and MS did not liked it....

Now MS does it...

Such inovation... much wow.

Everyone to his own. I like WP experience way better than Android and I had no problem finding any app I needed or wanted.

Ikr? Asus still has the webpages for them as well-so Microsoft won't be wriggling out of this.

PMSL

1. Microsoft fuck off

2. Asus had a desktop that was ready for production, advertised, and were taking orders. Now the desktop had a removable touch screen which was a tablet with Android built in, and the ability to wirelessly display the Windows desktop from the dock computer while also allowing you to control it via the touch screen. Asus however had to cancel it due to Microsoft bitching and moaning about their OS been used alongside Android.

3. There was also an Asus tablet along the same lines:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/178552-microsoft-google-kill-off-intel-and-asus-dual-os-tablet-effort

https://gigaom.com/2014/01/03/sorry-dual-os-windows-8-and-android-computers-wont-save-the-pc-market/

http://transformeraio.asus.com/

Again, MICROSOFT FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING CONARTISTS

Incorrect. It was both Google and Microsoft that both didn't want this. However, things are changing under new control for both companies, and things are more friendly between each other.

How is it retarded?

Incorrect. It was both Google and Microsoft that both didn't want this. However, things are changing under new control for both companies, and things are more friendly between each other.

Semantics. Microsoft still didn't want Asus doing it. And now they are going to do the same thing that they didn't want Asus doing and trying to put a patent on it.

PMSL

Semantics. Microsoft still didn't want Asus doing it. And now they are going to do the same thing that they didn't want Asus doing and trying to put a patent on it.

No. You clearly hated on 1 company specifically, when they were the 2 that got together and killed the product.

The implementation for dual boot isn't the same. And this is not how patent works. ASUS could have patented years ago if that was the case, for sake of argumentation, you don't need a product to be released.

This patent sounds like a troll. Designed to stop people from tinkering with their devices in a way to make such a thing. Microsoft shouldn't be able to dictate if I want to run Firefox OS and Android on the same device.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

No. You clearly hated on 1 company specifically, when they were the 2 that got together and killed the product.

The implementation for dual boot isn't the same. And this is not how patent works. ASUS could have patented years ago if that was the case, for sake of argumentation, you don't need a product to be released.

Look, Google isn't the one trying to create the patent-I got pissed at them back when Asus had to cancel their desktop and laptop. And I can't say anything in relation to Google at the moment as there has been no word of their reaction. And the idea is the same-2 OS on the 1 device that can be switched between. The implementation is different yes but the end result is the same.

PMSL

I don't really see why we would need a multi-OS smartphone.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Not a fan that they patented it, but I ma against all software patents so whatever.

Might be cool but I am fairly sure it has been done before. I saw someone earlier in the thread brought up NOOB for the Raspberry Pi which, as far as I can tell, works exactly like the patent describes (and was released before Microsoft filed for this patent).

Potentially more options for consumers is nice though and I will gladly welcome more flexibility in terms of OSes to run on my phone/tablet.

Anyone that touched a Windows Phone will tell you how freaking amazing it is. Even on a super low end phone, the OS experience in terms of response and speed (navigating the OS that is) is on par to an iPhone.

I love how delusional the Microsoft defense force is. Windows Phone is, and has always been a terrible OS. I haven't heard anyone except you and a handful of diehard WP fans say that it's amazing. Everyone else I have heard and talked to says that it's alright but with a handful of huge dealbreakers so big they don't even consider it an option.

It was terrible at release and they did not put the time and effort behind it to make it catch up to Android and iOS for a very long time. Now they are several years late and are finally starting to put some effort into it but the train left long ago.

UI smoothness (in the OS) is a strong point, but even Android is smooth on low end hardware if you get something that does not have a terrible skin on it (like the Moto G).

Windows Phone is in the exact same situation GNU/Linux is for desktops. Lots and lots of people might say they "want" to use it but stick to the more popular alternative because of third party support being next to non-existing.

You're completely right about Microsoft trying to get app support through Windows. But that's a terrible idea. All they are doing with that is trying to leech off the success from Windows to boost the success of their terrible mobile OS, and as a result it makes Windows worse.

Say whatever you want about Windows 8, but you can't deny that it was not well received by the public, and that's because they tried to push the aspects of Windows Phone too much.

I think Linus' M8 with Windows 8.1 video hits the nail on the head.

Look, Google isn't the one trying to create the patent-I got pissed at them back when Asus had to cancel their desktop and laptop. And I can't say anything in relation to Google at the moment as there has been no word of their reaction. And the idea is the same-2 OS on the 1 device that can be switched between. The implementation is different yes but the end result is the same.

Like those guys?

http://www.google.com.na/patents/US6260140

Or those guys?

http://www.google.co.ug/patents/US8775780

Or those guys?

https://www.google.com.uy/patents/US20140281455

Or how about those guys?

https://www.google.com.uy/patents/US7301822

Or those?

https://www.google.com.uy/patents/WO2014160375A1

and I can go on and on... the list is long.

What I am trying to say that Microsoft isn't pulling a "Let me patent stuff", patent troll. Microsoft patent, is very specific, like the ones mentioned above. Stop reading the title and assume thing, and read the whole thing.

Also the news dates back from April.

I love how delusional the Microsoft defense force is. Windows Phone is, and has always been a terrible OS. I haven't heard anyone except you and a handful of diehard WP fans say that it's amazing. Everyone else I have heard and talked to says that it's alright but with a handful of huge dealbreakers so big they don't even consider it an option.

It was terrible at release and they did not put the time and effort behind it to make it catch up to Android and iOS for a very long time. Now they are several years late and are finally starting to put some effort into it but the train left long ago.

UI smoothness (in the OS) is a strong point, but even Android is smooth on low end hardware if you get something that does not have a terrible skin on it (like the Moto G).

I have the Moto G, and I can't find a single Android phone that is perfectly smoothly everywhere. Even the super fancy super expensive phones. And every time I point it out, I get excuses, yet the iPhone has 0 problems. If you start the GPS, on an iPhone it is above and beyond fast and responsive. Android it is power point speed. The only thing that Android has, is customizability, and apps. But the phone itself, is meh, slow, and on low end devices, forget it. I have yet anyone to show me how I am wrong, even die hard Android fan friends. Scrolling experience between apps is also an issue. It varies so much. It's like "Wow.. that is a 800$ phone?! No wonder people buy iPhone's" is my reaction.

To add, In India, and many third world countries, Windows Phone is actually booming, with a growing 12% market share in many regions, and apparently ~13.5 % in Europe. So it is going up, snail paste, but going up.

Windows Phone is in the exact same situation GNU/Linux is for desktops. Lots and lots of people might say they "want" to use it but stick to the more popular alternative because of third party support being next to non-existing.

I agree.

You're completely right about Microsoft trying to get app support through Windows. But that's a terrible idea. All they are doing with that is trying to leech off the success from Windows to boost the success of their terrible mobile OS, and as a result it makes Windows worse.

Say whatever you want about Windows 8, but you can't deny that it was not well received by the public, and that's because they tried to push the aspects of Windows Phone too much.

More like tablets, but yea I agree.

I think Linus' M8 with Windows 8.1 video hits the nail on the head.

I'll see it after.

1. Did they prevent Asus from releasing a dual OS device?

2. After preventing Asus from releasing dual OS devices did they then go on to make their own dual OS device?

PMSL

1. Did they prevent Asus from releasing a dual OS device?

2. After preventing Asus from releasing dual OS devices did they then go on to make their own dual OS device?

Please read this: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/google-and-microsoft-are-out-to-stop-dual-boot-windowsandroid-devices/

Basically, old Microsoft hated old Google, and old Google hated old Microsoft.

Until recently, they were fighting between each other, and didn't want any of their solutions on either systems. This includes Google blocking from their servers YouTube apps from Windows Phone users, including non official ones, and Microsoft own one as Google refused to develop any content for the phone, despite making solution for less popular products. A big fight that hurt the consumers big time.

Now, things have changed between these 2 companies.

I won't be surprised if you'll see Google apps on Windows 10 Mobile in the near future, now.

I'd like to try a smartphone with Windows/Android :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Please read this: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/google-and-microsoft-are-out-to-stop-dual-boot-windowsandroid-devices/

Basically, old Microsoft hated old Google, and old Google hated old Microsoft.

Until recently, they were fighting between each other, and didn't want any of their solutions on either systems. This includes Google blocking from their servers YouTube apps from Windows Phone users, including non official ones, and Microsoft own one as Google refused to develop any content for the phone, despite making solution for less popular products. A big fight that hurt the consumers big time.

Now, things have changed between these 2 companies.

I won't be surprised if you'll see Google apps on Windows 10 Mobile in the near future, now.

There are rumors that a Google PR will show up tomorrow in the NYC event to announce Google Apps support for the UWP.

I will shit bricks if that guy shows up.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

There are rumors that a Google PR will show up tomorrow in the NYC event to announce Google Apps support for the UWP.

I will shit bricks if that guy shows up.

Yea, we will see. The rumor is however form a untrusted source. So, we don't know. If the rumor is false, I still expect Google announcing something in the works for Windows 10 Mobile (and Windows 10 as they go together), within a year.