Former ESPN host criticizes ESports, says that competitive gamers live with their parents, eat Hot Pockets, and love Star Wars

TopWargamer

I haven't watched the video since I'm still on mobile, but from first impressions, I'm getting the idea that this guy is just trying to attract the same attention Jimmy Kimmel got when he criticised YouTube Gaming.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

, I still can't call sitting on your butt playing a video game a sport

Its not a sport... its an electronic sport. ESport is trying to sound "trendy" its to differentiate physical sports from electronic sports

Like sending an email is very different from posting a letter.... but its still called "mail" when really its an online messaging service

The main thing is though...what is the difference to me watching for example rallying on tv.. and then watching people compete in need for speed... I am still the one sat on the sofa at home.. I am not physically doing the activity, I am watching some people compete for my entertainment

While the physical activity is different, the concept is very similar, "teams competing in a game of skill for a medal or money" - and the "viewer" still sits on the sofa and watches it on TV

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Really? Never herd of this guy but 10 years ago watching sports was rather boring than actually playing it. Besides he has a fake nose and a fake tan along with that botox should tell you he is probably one of those Hollywood airheads who are not relevant anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Must resist,urge, not to agree with his statement... *grabs popcorn*

Details separate people.

The ex-jock with a fake tan is surprised that money can be made by means other than running after a ball. To try and save his profession from the golden nineties, he bashes on the players.

The blond ex-cheerleader nods along. Doesn't quite grasp what the deal is but agrees.

Both -the remnants of the decades gone long by- have now had their taste if the new era. They don't like it so they revert to their basic instincts, smack-talking and bullying anyone with the potential to out-shine them.

And like a knife pressing at the side of their throat, a realization feels cold and uncomfortable. "This is what I was told about future. It's now here and I'm barely even forty. I've only ever talked about balls. I only understand balls. E-sports isn't sports, right? How soon will I have to accept this to maintain my way of living?"

Can you be my editor please? I need to figure out how to write novels like you can. :P

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

-Ghandi

This pretty much sums up what media will do to the gaming/Esports groups of people

Living with one's family is actually not as much of a stigma on other cultures and not an idication of lack of independence, The original trilogy is fucking awesome and hot pockets are an acceptable heavier snack.

Not sure why is any of this supposed to be an insult really, beats being a moronic sports jock and I know I've been both.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The guy is an ass big deal.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So watching a group of over built cattle herded by a shouting farmer running across a patch of grass chasing inflated pig skin is the superior form of fun and entertainment?

What a time to be alive.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I see a lot of people talking shit about eSports because "you just sit on your ass and press buttons on a plastic dildo"..

Then on the other side of the fence we've got gamers talking shit about "jocks who poke a rubber disk in a net while figure skating around in smelly sweaters"..

The hypocrisy is so thick on both sides that MY takeaway is that the only thing both camps can agree on is that we need HIGHER STAKES!! Perhaps the answer is to re-open the Roman Colosseum? Real swords, real lions, and real death if you lose.

I can't say I agree with that, but I'll leave you with this: If THOSE guys made millions of dollars a year I wouldn't mind..

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

-Ghandi

This pretty much sums up what media will do to the gaming/Esports groups of people

The funniest thing is that in ten or twenty years time, the media will, in all irony, be heralding esports as the new pastime of ever. people will be sitting at their TVs watching people play DOTA, CS GO and all them there things. It's going to be amazing.

Ah, if imagination were real...

Joke's on him, I don't eat Hot Pockets due to my body being dumb and not liking wheat. I do love Star Wars, though, mostly because space. Space is something that absolutely fascinates me.

Just another scrub who doesn't understand and is salty the pros get paid more then he most likely did/does.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I see a lot of people talking shit about eSports because "you just sit on your ass and press buttons on a plastic dildo"..

Then on the other side of the fence we've got gamers talking shit about "jocks who poke a rubber disk in a net while figure skating around in smelly sweaters"..

The hypocrisy is so thick on both sides that MY takeaway is that the only thing both camps can agree on is that we need HIGHER STAKES!! Perhaps the answer is to re-open the Roman Colosseum? Real swords, real lions, and real death if you lose.

I can't say I agree with that, but I'll leave you with this: If THOSE guys made millions of dollars a year I wouldn't mind..

I would so be down with bringing back Gladiators. That would be awesome but then again I'm also pretty morbid like that... Can we say easy way to clear out death row in the states? lol