DDR3 (1.5V+) can damage the Skylake CPUs

zMeul

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($327.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $482.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-28 21:49 EDT-0400

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($111.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $546.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-28 21:53 EDT-0400

Using the cheapest reliable options for each category, high end Haswell is $60 cheaper than high end Skylake. Considering Haswell's 4790k launched at $350, i would make the point that Skylake, in time, will also get slightly cheaper. Point is, newer platform is a better option for someone building a new PC. 

I'd pay $60 more for 5% more IPC, twice the memory capacity support, the ability to SLI with a PCIE M.2 SSD, and the longevity of DDR4 memory (It will support speeds up to 4233mhz). 

Anniversary was meant for Pentium .

There is a big difference between CAN and WILL.

Overclocking CAN damage your CPU too. Yet people are overclocking their CPUs and majority of people that OC never damaged their CPU.

So runing RAM on greater than 1.35V CAN damage your CPU? But we know that some people like to OC their RAM and for that they need to increase the voltage so even DDR4 RAM can run on greater than 1.35V if user wants to OC it a lot I dont see how that is a really big issue.

Wouldn't bother upgrading to skylake without going with DDR4 anyways. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

There is a big difference between CAN and WILL.

If you re saying to me i'm so sorry my English level is not good as yours. I'm learning English :)

If you re saying to me i'm so sorry my English level is not good as yours. I'm learning English :)

You forgot /sarcasm but you are also taking what I said it of context so whatever...

electrical signals, not measureable past 10mv

To get a better signal to noise ratio the signal are considerably bigger than 10mV, even if they are differential (RAM is not).

I'm pritty sure, the motherboard manufacturer have thougth about this problem as well. Level shifter are not feasible IMHO due to the rater extreme timing constrains. But they would shoot themself into the foot if the say they support 1.65V RAM (and there is no * that liks to: "not all CPUs can support this") and it will kill your CPU within short time. They are not eager for nagative feedback so it should be more to less save.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Wait there are boards for 1151 that support DDR3? Why would you even bother with that? DDR4 isn't even that much more expensive compared to DDR3. A 2x8 kit of DDR4 2133MHz would cost $96 while a 2x8 kit of DDR3 1333MHz would cost $80. $16 difference? Come on.

If I was going for a Skylake build right now DDR4 would be a no brainer, I literally do not see why you shouldn't go for DDR4 at this point.

If you're upgrading to Skylake and already have DDR3 memory, it's cheaper to just reuse the DDR3 memory than to buy new DDR4 memory.

And the thing is, most DDR3 will run just fine at 1.35V even if it's rated at 1.5V. It'll just need to run at lower clocks.

holy shit running higher voltages on a platform designed to run lower voltages can damage the platform

and this is news how

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If you're upgrading to Skylake and already have DDR3 memory, it's cheaper to just reuse the DDR3 memory than to buy new DDR4 memory.

And the thing is, most DDR3 will run just fine at 1.35V even if it's rated at 1.5V. It'll just need to run at lower clocks.

Oh of course, you can save money doing that, but even I wouldn't bother staying with DDR3 when I have to buy a whole new board and CPU anyway, might as well throw down another $100 on RAM and hop onto the new standard. At least that way I can keep my old setup and use it as a webserver, router, or guest computer.

I do see the benefit of saving ~$100 when upgrading, but is it really worth it in the end? I personally don't think so.

To get a better signal to noise ratio the signal are considerably bigger than 10mV, even if they are differential (RAM is not).

I'm pritty sure, the motherboard manufacturer have thougth about this problem as well. Level shifter are not feasible IMHO due to the rater extreme timing constrains. But they would shoot themself into the foot if the say they support 1.65V RAM (and there is no * that liks to: "not all CPUs can support this") and it will kill your CPU within short time. They are not eager for nagative feedback so it should be more to less save.

not going to kill your CPU, but whatever floats your boat.

It's going to degrade memory modules thats about it.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

not going to kill your CPU, but whatever floats your boat.

It's going to degrade memory modules thats about it.

Or have them running unstable. For me however it would never have been a big problem, since I run  my DDR3 at 800MHz 1.35V is quite stable. My sole stick of DDR3 1600 also runs fine at 1.35V a long as its at 1066MHz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Or have them running unstable. For me however it would never have been a big problem, since I run  my DDR3 at 800MHz 1.35V is quite stable. My sole stick of DDR3 1600 also runs fine at 1.35V a long as its at 1066MHz.

I had my lower power kit of Elpida rated for low voltage running at 1.7v 24/7.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I just don't see how power going to the DIMM to power it would raise voltages of other things when the circuits should be completely different.

I follow a lot of extreme RAM overclocking threads on OCN and HWBOT, there are many people that are doing 1.7-1.8VDIMM on Ln2 (and sometimes even air) for long long periods of time, I feel like I would of seen people talking about IMC's dying or having issues, and I certainly haven't seen anything like that yet.

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with not being safe, and everything to do with them just trying to get people to buy DDR4. (Not that I think that's a bad thing, anyone upgrading to Z170 should be getting DDR4 IMO)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

that's like saying ddr2's gonna damage an fx-4100

Not comparable.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch