[Updated] iPhone 6s uses NVMe SSD, capable of up to 1800+MB/sec reads

Mew

If Samsung or any other manufacturer did this, you either wouldn't bother chiming in, and perhaps even give praise. Just because it's Apple doesn't mean it's an insignificant event.

Bullshit. I criticised samsung and everyone else in the past for "upgrades" that at the end of the day are pointless. I criticised 1440p and now 2160p 5" screens, I criticised the fingerprint scanner on both the iphone and galaxy phones, I complain when a manufacturer doesn't include a ridiculously cheap sd card slot or a replaceable battery, and so on. Why don't they spend money making their battery last longer, their ram larger, their storage start from 64gb as it really, really should in a 700$+ device? Instead they put in nvme, which will be completely unnoticeable to all but a few benchmarks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Wow, same as the storage in my MacBook Pro. This is something I never expected, the temptation to upgrade is only getting stronger. 

1800+ MB/s on a smartphone. What the actual fuck. Holy balls that's awesome. Now I'm even more exited about the memory speeds in the iPad Pro since its A9X is supposed to be even faster than the A9 which looks more and more like a laptop CPU rather than a mobile one.

Ye ole' train

Gonna have to call bullshit on those 1800MB/s reads. The results on more trustworthy sites like Anandtech sounds far more plausible and they are much much lower.

My guess is that Ian is correct in assuming it's only on the SLC portion, which is just acting as a cache. I don't know how the program works but I doubt it writes 2GB to the phone so chances are it writes a small file and checks how long that took. That small file might be small enough to fit in the cache, which is why we are getting such high numbers. That would also explain why the read results are so much lower (because they are not just saved in the cache).

It makes no sense for the storage in the iPhone to outperform Apple's laptops and desktops.

Still very impressive results though.

incase anyone who owns a Iphone6 wondered  -> that is where your battery life went..

I've never had mine not make it to the end of the day. 

I've never had mine not make it to the end of the day.

i fell sorry for those of you, who'se phones still cannot handle more then a day or a day and a half on one charge... i really do pity you....

what a useless portable device that is.

i fell sorry for those of you, who'se phones still cannot handle more then a day or a day and a half on one charge... i really do pity you....

I better throw my laptop out the window then, the pos can't even last more than 7 hours without bitching about it's battery. 

/Perspective is everything, and even some devices with the longest of battery lives aren't sufficient. 

Meanwhile, I haven't charged my phone in a few days.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Funny how my Mom's iPhone 6+ has poorer battery life than my Galaxy Note 5, i play a lot of games on my phone and all she does is just viewing webpages or texting...

I have like 40 percent left at the end of the day...

I better throw my laptop out the window then, the pos can't even last more than 7 hours without bitching about it's battery. 

/Perspective is everything, and even some devices with the longest of battery lives aren't sufficient. 

Meanwhile, I haven't charged my phone in a few days.

/relevance is everything

on the poll:

would go for faster above more storage on a phone, since 8-16gb is enough for me, so there is no need for 64gb+ for me.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

If I had an issue with the battery, I'd put it in one of the huge variety of battery cases on the market. 

• 1 month later...

Any ideas on how much time it will take for Android devices to start using something similar?

Any ideas on how much time it will take for Android devices to start using something similar?

the next or the following generation probably. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

the next or the following generation probably. 

Samsung can definitely pull it off. They were already beefing up the eMMC in the Galaxy S6 so with a bit of luck they were working on something similar for the S7. If they weren't then we will probably see it in the S8.

Just a little note though, while the sequential read and writes are fantastic (not as fantastic as 1800MBps according to Anandtech, more like 400MBps read and 165MBps writes), the other measurements such as small random reads/writes are actually a tiny bit lower (very tiny bit) than the eMMC solutions used in Samsung's phones.

Both Samsung's eMMC and the iPhone's storage gets destroyed by a good desktop SATA SSD though. The 840 Pro gets something like 50 times higher random writes than the iPhone 6S (100MBps vs 2MBps).

Samsung can definitely pull it off. They were already beefing up the eMMC in the Galaxy S6 so with a bit of luck they were working on something similar for the S7. If they weren't then we will probably see it in the S8.

Just a little note though, while the sequential read and writes are fantastic (not as fantastic as 1800MBps according to Anandtech, more like 400MBps read and 165MBps writes), the other measurements such as small random reads/writes are actually a tiny bit lower (very tiny bit) than the eMMC solutions used in Samsung's phones.

Both Samsung's eMMC and the iPhone's storage gets destroyed by a good desktop SATA SSD though. The 840 Pro gets something like 50 times higher random writes than the iPhone 6S (100MBps vs 2MBps).

Well what do you expect from a mobile single-NAND chip solution.

Ye ole' train

Interesting, this means that Samsung has quite the potential. Can't wait to see what they manage to do in the not-so-far future!

Pull it off the charger in the morning, put it on at night. Perfectly portable/mobile to me...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Pull it off the charger in the morning, put it on at night. Perfectly portable/mobile to me...

It would still be nice if smartphones could have the old flip phone battery life of a week (but for obvious reasons that won't happen). Anyway, I get like 1.5-2 days out of my 6s+, and I actually sometimes find that to be a detriment (compared to one day for example) since with one day you're forced to charge it daily thus you're less likely to forget to charge it since you're on a fixed routine (although, I've only ever had my 6s+ die on me once...so I seem to manage just fine).

And, if I trusted chargers to not overcharge devices that would be fine, but I'm still pretty sure charging a device over night will eventually ruin the battery (yes, I understand that it shouldn't, but I can't help but notice that all the people I know who do that have had their battery go to shit). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It would still be nice if smartphones could have the old flip phone battery life of a week (but for obvious reasons that won't happen). Anyway, I get like 1.5-2 days out of my 6s+, and I actually sometimes find that to be a detriment (compared to one day for example) since with one day you're forced to charge it daily thus you're less likely to forget to charge it since you're on a fixed routine (although, I've only ever had my 6s+ die on me once...so I seem to manage just fine).

And, if I trusted chargers to not overcharge devices that would be fine, but I'm still pretty sure charging a device over night will eventually ruin the battery (yes, I understand that it shouldn't, but I can't help but notice that all the people I know who do that have had their battery go to shit). 

There is a dedicated device that does factory-style charges without overcharging. It's pretty cheap. Linus did a review of it iirc.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

My take on this is get rid of 16GB, 32 should be a minimum.... But no one ever needs 128GB or 256GB phones (unless you're the selfie queen/king with nowhere else to store your photos?) 

There is a dedicated device that does factory-style charges without overcharging. It's pretty cheap. Linus did a review of it iirc.

What now? 

My take on this is get rid of 16GB, 32 should be a minimum.... But no one ever needs 128GB or 256GB phones (unless you're the selfie queen/king with nowhere else to store your photos?) 

Yes, that would be a good thing, however there isn't much of an incentive to do it. Doing so would result in a loss of profit (which would upset investors, and would not make the company's directors particularly happy with whoever made that decision). The interesting point is that by not eliminating the 16gb version Apple is "forcing" a decent chunk of people to spend an extra $100 on a 64gb version. Now, if you consider the extra profit that the company makes off of that $100, and how that affects the company's stock, it's actually probably better for the consumer to pay the extra $100 if they want more storage and buy a few shares in Apple. 

If I had to take a complete shot in the dark (based on the people I know/their buying habits/their reasoning for going with whatever phone they have), I would expect the split to be something like this: 

20% will buy 16gb, 70% will buy the 64gb, and 10% will buy the 128gb version compared to: 

50% will buy a 32gb version, 40% will buy a 64gb version, and 10% will buy a 128gb version. So if you were to make a similar assumption and then look at the total sales you would realize how much extra money that makes Apple (which ultimately is a good thing for anyone who owns shares -- which can literally be anyone).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Now, if you consider the extra profit that the company makes off of that $100, and how that affects the company's stock, it's actually probably better for the consumer to pay the extra $100 if they want more storage and buy a few shares in Apple.

Wow... That's a really fanboy-ish thing to say. "Yeah let the company screw their customers. Just buy stock in the company so you can benefit from it lol".

Wow... That's a really fanboy-ish thing to say. "Yeah let the company screw their customers. Just buy stock in the company so you can benefit from it lol".

Hey, I make more money by Apple's stock increasing than I ever would by saving that $100 every two years. so... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Shame Apple probably doesn't use a similar controller in the iPad Mini though honestly I feel like in most instances when a phone gets slow its either because it's running out of RAM or its CPU is under too much load or is thermal throttling.

At least whenever my Moto G 2014 would start to slow down it seemed that it was either the phone was running out of RAM or there was something CPU intensive going on. 

I do hope to get a Nexus 5X sometime soon(ish).

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization