does overclocking your ram overclock your CPU too?

peter325

The reason why I say this is in maximum PC it say sit also overclock your CPU is this true and is it worth it to overclock your ram  

CPU:AMD FX-8320,CPU COOLER:Deepcool 400,MOBO:MSI 970A G-43,RAM:Corsair Vengance 8gb,Storage;Hitachi Deskstar 2TB,GPU:Nvidia Titan X,Case;Corsair 760t white,Power Supply;Corsair 750M,Optical drive:LG WH14NS40,Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home,Fans:6 x Cooler Master R4-L4S-10AB Clear Fans -http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DW3vJx

is it worth it to overclock your ram  

No. It doesn't affect performance, except in a few very specific scenarios.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

If you overclock RAM using XMP, I think it does affect CPU clock speeds. In most scenarios, it's not worth it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you overclock RAM using XMP, I think it does affect CPU clock speeds. In most scenarios, it's not worth it.

I would overclock because of the speed increase 

CPU:AMD FX-8320,CPU COOLER:Deepcool 400,MOBO:MSI 970A G-43,RAM:Corsair Vengance 8gb,Storage;Hitachi Deskstar 2TB,GPU:Nvidia Titan X,Case;Corsair 760t white,Power Supply;Corsair 750M,Optical drive:LG WH14NS40,Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home,Fans:6 x Cooler Master R4-L4S-10AB Clear Fans -http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DW3vJx

I would overclock because of the speed increase 

It probably won't do anything. Overclocking your CPU will provide more of a performance increase. However, if you want to gain performance in games, overclocking your GPU will provide additional performance in all games, provided your CPU is not a bottleneck.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It probably won't do anything. Overclocking your CPU will provide more of a performance increase. However, if you want to gain performance in games, overclocking your GPU will provide additional performance in all games, provided your CPU is not a bottleneck.

so don't overclock ram

I have a titan x so don't overclock it

so overclock my amd 8320 CPU because its a bottleneck

so don't overclock ram

I have a titan x so don't overclock it

so overclock my amd 8320 CPU because its a bottleneck

Before I deem it a bottleneck, what GPU usage do you get in games without V-Sync enabled? But, I would overclock it if you have a proper motherboard and cooler.

The only reason I can think of to overclock RAM is if you're using a RAM Disk, but I can't imagine getting that much of a performance increase out of it compared to the speed it also transfers at.

-This space intentionally left blank-

Before I deem it a bottleneck, what GPU usage do you get in games without V-Sync enabled? But, I would overclock it if you have a proper motherboard and cooler.

I already overclocked my CPU to 4 GHz 

Lots of systems overclocking CPU overclocks ram because it is done with bus speed also known as base clock. (BCLK) That is why you have the option to then divide the ram to a different frequency. 196x23 = 4.312 GHz overclock on the CPU for instance, which would give you 196X8= 1568 ram using an 8 divider, or 1960 using a 10 divider.

Lots of systems overclocking CPU overclocks ram

Most people overclock with the CPU multiplier which does not affect RAM.

If you call changing a multi to 46-48 and a range on BCLK of 100-102 overclocking then yeah... thats on the last few generations where a caveman can do it.

;)

But you are right, as far as the new platforms yes, you do X46-48 and bam, easy peasy overclock that doesn't effect your ram.

Based on his question I imagine he had come across some of that info before that I provided but he had it backwards. CPU OCing can effect RAM clock. He had it backwards.

If you enable XPM, or manually set your timings and RAM voltage then no, it should not affect your CPU clock.

If you change BCLK (also known as front side bus) then yes, you are effectively overclokcing everything.