3770k DE lid, Coollaboratory liquid metal, or actual solder?

I was wondering about this. If i de lid said processor, should i actually solder it on or use the coollaboratory Liquid metal TIM?

I will be using the vice method if it it matters. 

Link to the coollaboratory TIM http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_58_1100&products_id=27832

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

It really doesn't matter what kind of TIM you use because if you have to ask you most likely are not the kind of guy with a super high end cooling solution that needs that 1C drop in temperature to have a ballin system. Personally I would never delid a CPU because its really risky. I know Ivy Bridge temps are not the best but they are not bad enough to require the end user to delid the CPU and correct it.

It really doesn't matter what kind of TIM you use because if you have to ask you most likely are not the kind of guy with a super high end cooling solution that needs that 1C drop in temperature to have a ballin system. Personally I would never delid a CPU because its really risky. I know Ivy Bridge temps are not the best but they are not bad enough to require the end user to delid the CPU and correct it.

They're bad enough for me. It's not going to be a 1c drop,somewhere around 20-30c. When your CPU is @ 55c idle on a hyper 212, you know something is wrong. Especially when ambient temp is 23c. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

They're bad enough for me. It's not going to be a 1c drop,somewhere around 20-30c. When your CPU is @ 55c idle on a hyper 212, you know something is wrong. Especially when ambient temp is 23c.

Damn that hot. My 4770k runs about 26-29 c at ambient of around 21-22c. Why don't you invest in a Better cooler than risking your cpu?

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I'm sure if you're if you're resorting to de-lidding you've tried this....but just have to ask.  Have you tried re-seating your hyper 212?  Do you have an overclock set?  What are your voltages looking like?

Just get a better cooler like an h80i or a noctua d-14.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

55° at idle is pretty bad.. how are load temps? not overclocked it shouldn't even touch 70°..

I think thermal paste should be fine, but make SURE that the stuff you're using is not conductive. You don't want conductive things touching the PCB of your processor, just no..

If you delid it make sure to post some pictures here, I am really interested in seing how bad the thermal paste was applied before :D

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

If you put the stock cooler on and run full load and it hits very bad temps at stock settings. Isn't that proof enough for an RMA? I would thinking RMA option would be before de lid and kill your warranty?

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

worst method ever. 

I was wondering about this. If i de lid said processor, should i actually solder it on or use the coollaboratory Liquid metal TIM?

Link to the coollaboratory TIM http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_58_1100&products_id=27832

The vise method can cause damage if you dont know what your doing. damage to your cpu's pcb or ihs. the ihs can be repaired, the pcb..not so much

I wouldn't consider soldering the ihs on unless you have the tools\equipment and proficiency to properly execute BGA repairs.

you could educate yourself on how to run it naked without the ihs all together

i wouldnt invest in cool labs products personally even if i saw a -5c drop in performance

when it comes to tim i stick with arctic cooling. they have been in the game a long long time.

some people report damage to the cpu die from coolabs liquid metal.

stick with arctic mx-2 or mx-4 for the De lid. non conductive with high thermal transfer that lasts a long long time. mx-2 claims same temps for SEVEN years

and please treat your self to a high end cooling solution, i highly recommend save up and buy a noctua product, it was last a lifetime

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

No, he means replacing what's under the IHS doesn't matter that much. If you're getting 55c at idle with a 212 then you probably already a terrible job of your thermal paste or your CPU is borked. I know 2 people with a 3570k and 1 with a 3770k, all with 212's and they are sub-30c at idle.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

.I was talking about the type of TIM you use. And my 3570K runs warm on idle but OCed at 4.4 with high voltage i never go above 70C with my hyper 212.

No, he means replacing what's under the IHS doesn't matter that much. If you're getting 55c at idle with a 212 then you probably already a terrible job of your thermal paste or your CPU is borked. I know 2 people with a 3570k and 1 with a 3770k, all with 212's and they are sub-30c at idle.

replaced TIM 10+ times. its not that. 

.I was talking about the type of TIM you use. And my 3570K runs warm on idle but OCed at 4.4 with high voltage i never go above 70C with my hyper 212.

I thought Linus and other have covered this many times, not all Silicon is created equal

just mount the cooler directly on the die, physics will dictate that temps will be better

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Clearly you don't understand the point of dliding a CPU.

Please explain oh great one of superior knowledge

just mount the cooler directly on the die, physics will dictate that temps will be better

yes but mounting of 212 is kinda risky for direct die cooling

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

go big or go home :]

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

go big or go home :]

It does seem a shame to put the lid back on after all the effort of taking it off. but a cracked die doesn't perform that well

Link to the coollaboratory TIM http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_58_1100&products_id=27832

Solder would be the best.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

isn't soldering the IHS directly to the CPU a huge risk?  has this even been done before?  If not, then you should definitely do it and be a guinea pig for the rest of us and let us know how it works out...  take lots of pics

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Solder would be the best.

isn't soldering the IHS directly to the CPU a huge risk?  has this even been done before?  If not, then you should definitely do it and be a guinea pig for the rest of us and let us know how it works out...  take lots of pics

Solder is indeed the riskiest method. Solder melting temps are 200-300 Celsius unless you know the correct technique and have the right equipment I'd pass