U.S. Also Investigating Google for Anti-Competitive Practices

HKZeroFive

google1-e14245245039131111.jpg

Google Inc. is back under U.S. antitrust scrutiny as officials ask whether the tech giant stifled competitors’ access to its Android mobile-operating system, said two people familiar with the matter.

The Federal Trade Commission reached an agreement with the Justice Department to spearhead an investigation of Google’s Android business, the people said.

FTC officials have met with technology company representatives who say Google gives priority to its own services on the Android platform, while restricting others, added the people, who asked for anonymity because the matter is confidential.

The inquiry is in its early stages, and it could end without a case against the company. Regardless, it shows the FTC is again turning its attention to one of America’s biggest companies, two years after it closed a separate investigation into Google’s Internet search business. The FTC’s handling of the earlier probe left some technology companies skeptical of the agency’s willingness to bring a case, according to the people.

Spokesmen for the FTC and Google declined to comment.

Looks like Google is under alot of anti-trust scrutiny from both sides of the Atlantic (Europe and America for those not keen on Geography ;)). However, the EU investigation is still examining evidence and Google's defence argument, and is currently determining a verdict. It looks like the situation may be similar in the U.S. and it may also take a while before the investigation concludes. Still, I wouldn't want to be Google right now.

More about EU Investigation: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382310-google-is-facing-more-antitrust-complaints-regarding-android/

Sauce: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-25/google-said-to-be-under-u-s-antitrust-scrutiny-over-android-iezf41sg

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

"who say Google gives priority to its own services on the Android platform, while restricting others,"

Isn't this perfectly okay? I mean, it's their fucking OS.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

"who say Google gives priority to its own services on the Android platform, while restricting others,"

The same complaints could be said about OSX, iOS, and MS Windows. The entire thing is BS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Cute, the US trying to be all "Oh yeah, we totally care about this monopoly stuff, that's why we have like 3 fucking ISPs for the entire country!"

I will now translate this issue from political terms, into english.

*clears throat*

"We aren't receiving our cut of the action, so we have decided to open an investigation into Google. Completely ignoring all the other companies that do the same thing, but line the right pockets".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

*clears throat(*

"We aren't receiving our cut of the action, so we have decided to open an investigation into Google. Completely ignoring all the other companies that do the same thing, but line the right pockets".

Someone at Google must've saltied a government official.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Still didn't stop Microsoft getting done in under the sherman antitrust act by the DoJ back in '98.

Yeah I agree, Google doesn't have to make there OS open source in the first place. Why is this even a thing.....

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

True but I would say it's not alright that they give ALL Google apps on the Play Store an Editors Choice award.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

*clears throat(*

applause-approval-approves-clap-clapping

-------

Current Rig

-------

Because when you control a majority and then do things to hinder others while benefiting from that majority, it's considered bad?

Microsoft did the same thing, in America and Europe.

Yeah I agree, Google doesn't have to make there OS open source in the first place. Why is this even a thing.....

They do if they want to still be using the linux kernel. Otherwise they have to make their own one. And there is absolutely no reason to do that.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)