Will upgrading from HDD to SSD on a laptop improve battery life?

vyogan

Thinking of upgrading my laptop's HDD to a Samsung Evo 850 or Crucial MX550 as they are two of the most reasonably priced in terms of performance.

The main reason for upgrade is obviously to improve performance, boot up speed, etc., but I wonder if it actually helps to improve battery life since I can always feel my HDD spinning (taking more battery life?).

Would really appreciate if anyone with experience can share. Thanks!

Core i5 3470 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ | Kingston 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V LGA1155 | Asus Geforce GTX 670 2GB DirectCUII OC | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII | LITEON 24x DVD-RW | Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W | Xigmatek Midgard II Window | Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard | LG 23" IPS234V | Edifier M1380 | Bravo Audio Ocean Tube Amp | Sennheiser HD600 | Sansa Clip+ | Yamaha EPH-100

It'll save power, yes. It's not a crap ton, but it's a good bit.

I would think so, although I don't know how significantly. 

It's probably worth it from just a performance standpoint anyhow. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

SSDs use less power than hard drives, so yes, but not a very significant amount. You'll probably get about 10% more battery life.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Speaking from experience, you will only see a 15-30 minute gain with certain low power drawing ssds. Although if your laptop only lasts for 4 hours, improving battery life by 20 minutes is about a 10% increase in battery life. I used the Adata sp600 because of the extremely low idle/load power draw.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

I've done it myself on a laptop with a terrible battery. I can say it improves the battery life next to nil.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I've done it myself on a laptop with a terrible battery. I can say it improves the battery life next to nil.

What ssd did you use? Some older/cheaper ssd's use more or less the same power as most laptop hdds.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

What ssd did you use? Some older/cheaper ssd's use more or less the same power as most laptop hdds.

Used the 5400 RPM (actually pretty decent HDD) that came with my laptop and a Sandisk Ultra Plus as comparison tools. Battery life improvement was within a margin of error.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

yes it does

except i think intel SSDs use more power than most other SSDs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Speaking from experience, you will only see a 15-30 minute gain with certain low power drawing ssds. Although if your laptop only lasts for 4 hours, improving battery life by 20 minutes is about a 10% increase in battery life. I used the Adata sp600 because of the extremely low idle/load power draw.

My laptop's a rather old model: Dell Latitude E6330. Only lasts up to 3 hours max.

Core i5 3470 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ | Kingston 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V LGA1155 | Asus Geforce GTX 670 2GB DirectCUII OC | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII | LITEON 24x DVD-RW | Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W | Xigmatek Midgard II Window | Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard | LG 23" IPS234V | Edifier M1380 | Bravo Audio Ocean Tube Amp | Sennheiser HD600 | Sansa Clip+ | Yamaha EPH-100

Just discovered on Anandtech's SSD benchmarks that the EVO 850 has one of the lowest power draw. Is there any particular concern over the longevity or performance of the EVO 850? I don't remember what was the problem with the 840......

Used the 5400 RPM (actually pretty decent HDD) that came with my laptop and a Sandisk Ultra Plus as comparison tools. Battery life improvement was within a margin of error.

Trying to find ssd, let alone notebook drives power consumption is a thing of difficulty. You mostly have to go off what is advertised, if it is at all!

Some sites like; 

http://techreport.com/review/25610/ocz-vector-150-solid-state-drive-reviewed/2 

http://techreport.com/review/24561/seagate-laptop-thin-sshd-500gb-hybrid-drive-reviewed/11

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ssd-vs-hdd-power-usage.645232/

especially notebookcheck do have some info.

An 840evo uses around 1w under load, my sp600 in my laptop uses 0.8w under load. most 5400rpm laptop hdd's use around 4w+.

Just discovered on Anandtech's SSD benchmarks that the EVO 850 has one of the lowest power draw. Is there any particular concern over the longevity or performance of the EVO 850? I don't remember what was the problem with the 840......

Just find the lowest power counsuming drive you can, and buy it. Not since eons ago was the reliability of ssd's questioned. Even older drives by today's standards could withstand petabytes of reads/writes. http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Thinking of upgrading my laptop's HDD to a Samsung Evo 850 or Crucial MX550 as they are two of the most reasonably priced in terms of performance.

The main reason for upgrade is obviously to improve performance, boot up speed, etc., but I wonder if it actually helps to improve battery life since I can always feel my HDD spinning (taking more battery life?).

For my laptop, I get about 15-30 min more battery life. A major factor is how much you put the laptop to sleep or off. As a traveling college student, I turned my laptop off between classes, so the hard drive took a while to spool up, eating battery.

I went from the stock 500GB 5400 RPM drive (Started to get really slow) to a Crucial M400 240GB (At the time, it was the best bang for the buck)

Another way to boost battery life is to take the laptop apart and sand/polish the factory heatsink and replace the thermal paste with something aftermarket. I dropped the temps on my laptop by 20-25C and the fan runs way quieter too. I'm sure that also had a role in boosting my battery life since the fan no longer runs at all high speed like it used to.

If you really want to keep the laptop and the battery life is realy only 3 hours, save a lot of money, and buy a new extended life battery. You won't mind the slight extra bulk when you're getting 6-7 hours of life from a single charge.

Hey there vyogan,

SSDs generally consume less energy compared to 2.5" HDDs and should be more power-efficient (mainly because they don't have any moving physical parts). But the power consumption of a regular 2.5" drive (be that SSD or a HDD) shouldn't influence the laptop's battery life greatly (you may seem some small improvement but nothing too drastic).
SSDs are great due to their almost instant access times, greater transfer speeds and the fact that they are not affected by vibrations (which is important when it comes to portable PCs). :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

For my laptop, I get about 15-30 min more battery life. A major factor is how much you put the laptop to sleep or off. As a traveling college student, I turned my laptop off between classes, so the hard drive took a while to spool up, eating battery.

I went from the stock 500GB 5400 RPM drive (Started to get really slow) to a Crucial M400 240GB (At the time, it was the best bang for the buck)

Another way to boost battery life is to take the laptop apart and sand/polish the factory heatsink and replace the thermal paste with something aftermarket. I dropped the temps on my laptop by 20-25C and the fan runs way quieter too. I'm sure that also had a role in boosting my battery life since the fan no longer runs at all high speed like it used to.

If you really want to keep the laptop and the battery life is realy only 3 hours, save a lot of money, and buy a new extended life battery. You won't mind the slight extra bulk when you're getting 6-7 hours of life from a single charge.

Hey there vyogan,

SSDs generally consume less energy compared to 2.5" HDDs and should be more power-efficient (mainly because they don't have any moving physical parts). But the power consumption of a regular 2.5" drive (be that SSD or a HDD) shouldn't influence the laptop's battery life greatly (you may seem some small improvement but nothing too drastic).
SSDs are great due to their almost instant access times, greater transfer speeds and the fact that they are not affected by vibrations (which is important when it comes to portable PCs). :)

Captain_WD.

Trying to find ssd, let alone notebook drives power consumption is a thing of difficulty. You mostly have to go off what is advertised, if it is at all!

Some sites like; 

http://techreport.com/review/25610/ocz-vector-150-solid-state-drive-reviewed/2 

http://techreport.com/review/24561/seagate-laptop-thin-sshd-500gb-hybrid-drive-reviewed/11

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ssd-vs-hdd-power-usage.645232/

especially notebookcheck do have some info.

An 840evo uses around 1w under load, my sp600 in my laptop uses 0.8w under load. most 5400rpm laptop hdd's use around 4w+.

Thank you guys for all for the replies and the input! As I expected, I'm not really hoping that it'll significantly improve the battery life but it's just a curiosity of mine, wondering if anyone has seen any detectable improvement. I'll still upgrade the drive to SSD mainly for the performance.  :)

It also makes me wonder how Apple was able to make their macbook pro's last so long. Much larger battery?

Thank you guys for all for the replies and the input! As I expected, I'm not really hoping that it'll significantly improve the battery life but it's just a curiosity of mine, wondering if anyone has seen any detectable improvement. I'll still upgrade the drive to SSD mainly for the performance.  :)

It also makes me wonder how Apple was able to make their macbook pro's last so long. Much larger battery?

The Mac OS generally is not as resource heavy as windows. The other factor is that Mac only has a small product line, so they can optimize Mac OS to work as efficiently as it can on the hardware they sell. Windows on the other hand, has to support everything.

The other bonus of the SSD upgrade is that you can now shake your laptop without any worries.

Lol, I wish my mac lasted long, it's useless! I'm lucky to get 4hrs out of it's battery from full charge to 1% then again when I use tech I actually use it rather than pose with it in a studio or starbucks...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd