So my igpu has decided to upgrade itself

mattebad

So yeah.....

My igpu has decided to upgrade itself from a skylake igpu to a broadwell igpu. And for some reason it thinks it can run at 3.5ghz clock speed even though it's set to 1150mhz in the bios. I have touched nothing setting wise that pertains to the igpu and yet here I am. It also thinks it has double the shaders as a skylake igpu. It also thinks I'm running DDR3 memory but I'm not, using DDR4. Release date also shows up as Broadwell SKU. Drivers are stock. But it has the same Rops, Driver version, Device Id, and name somehow. This is all according to gpuz btw as it was the only monitoring software that could actually get a reading off of it. I only care about this because I have to use it while waiting for my 980ti to come.

Screenshot of my gpuz: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/15/09/23/86v.png

Screenshot of normal skylake intel hd 530: http://media.bestofmicro.com/6/A/516034/original/ss.gif

Can somebody help me figure this out? I've never encountered this before and it makes no sense at all. Can't run any games either, they will just lock up or artefact from trying to run at 3.5ghz on the clock

Edit: I have a i5-6600k and z170-a

So yeah.....

My igpu has decided to upgrade itself from a skylake igpu to a broadwell igpu. And for some reason it thinks it can run at 3.5ghz clock speed even though it's set to 1150mhz in the bios. I have touched nothing setting wise that pertains to the igpu and yet here I am. It also thinks it has double the shaders as a skylake igpu. It also thinks I'm running DDR3 memory but I'm not, using DDR4. Release date also shows up as Broadwell SKU. Drivers are stock. But it has the same Rops, Driver version, Device Id, and name somehow. This is all according to gpuz btw as it was the only monitoring software that could actually get a reading off of it.

Screenshot of my gpuz: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/15/09/23/86v.png

Screenshot of normal skylake intel hd 530: http://media.bestofmicro.com/6/A/516034/original/ss.gif

Can somebody help me figure this out? I've never encountered this before and it makes no sense at all. Can't run any games either, they will just lock up or artefact from trying to run at 3.5ghz on the clock

Edit: I have a i5-6600k and z170-a

I wish that would happen to my graphics card...gtx 670<Titan X

Have you installed any software recently which could have tempered with the settings?

What if you actually have a broadwell CPU...?

I don't, CPU-z, hwinfo, and hwmonitor all confirm it's an i5-6600k. The weird thing is that I was able to play a game of counterstrike right after I built my computer and installed all the updates for it. But now this happened and the last thing I want to do is a system restore or format

I wish that would happen to my graphics card...gtx 670<Titan X

Yeah, but mine just thinks it did. It comes with none of the performance increases...

1) going from skylake to broadwell is a downgrade, not an upgrade

2) GPU z has a lot of bugs like these around new product releases

3) you're trying to play games on integrated graphics? dont you have a GPU?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Have you installed any software recently which could have tempered with the settings?

No, the last thing I installed was the PNY drive utility and that was about a week ago. I did update my bios completely, but it was working fine even after that. The weird thing is that the bios detects it and set the clock speed to 1150, but it doesn't listen to it. I don't know any software that could mess with it like this. 

1. Actually broadwell igpu is better than skylake igpu

2. Not a bug, sensors work fine in gpuz, for some reason something has made it read it as a broadwell igpu and I have no idea what could cause that

3. Read my op, I clearly state I'm waiting to get my 980ti back home

I thought the broadwell iGPU was better than the skylake iGPU.

1. Actually broadwell igpu is better than skylake igpu

2. Not a bug, sensors work fine in gpuz, for some reason something has made it read it as a broadwell igpu and I have no idea what could cause that

3. Read my op, I clearly state I'm waiting to get my 980ti back home

1) http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-skylake-gt4e-gpu-50-percent-faster-compared-to-broadwell-gt3e.html

2) yes, CPUz has bugs, and yes it misreads some stuff around product releases, its happened before

its also happened with GPU-z

they need to update it to properly read some product data on new computer hardware, in this case a new CPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Spoiler

1) http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-skylake-gt4e-gpu-50-percent-faster-compared-to-broadwell-gt3e.html

2) yes, CPUz has bugs, and yes it misreads some stuff around product releases, its happened before

its also happened with GPU-z

they need to update it to properly read some product data on new computer hardware, in this case a new CPU

Please, stop with your misinformation already. Read...READ FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY. Skylake GT2 is not faster than Broadwell GT3e. Not even close. Did you even bother to click those links before you posted? Are you only posting nonsense to inflate your post count? For gods sake man, this is the 3rd time within the past 2 days that you have done this. The link you provided, specifically mentioned Skylake GT4e, which isnt even out yet, and isn't even a fact. 50% increase in EU does not translate to a raw 50% increase in performance. Skylake GT4e is rumored to be clocked lower by about 15%, so it will not scale linearly.

I really do not want to have to tell you to read again, it is already getting old.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Please, stop with your misinformation already. Read...READ FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY. Skylake GT2 is not faster than Broadwell GT3e. Not even close. Did you even bother to click those links before you posted? Are you only posting nonsense to inflate your post count? For gods sake man, this is the 3rd time within the past 2 days that you have done this. The link you provided, specifically mentioned Skylake GT4e, which isnt even out yet, and isn't even a fact. 50% increase in EU does not translate to a raw 50% increase in performance. Skylake GT4e is rumored to be clocked lower by about 15%, so it will not scale linearly.

I really do not want to have to tell you to read again, it is already getting old.

His motto is "Just don't look" so it makes a lot of sense

Edit: Getting back on topic here. SOMEONE HALP!

His motto is "Just don't look" so it makes a lot of sense

Edit: Getting back on topic here. SOMEONE HALP!

What was the last thing you did before this happened? Maybe windows updated the iGPU driver, and it went bonkers? Try rolling back to a slightly older one. Maybe go to device manager, uninstall the iGPU, reboot, and see if it fixes it? I've personally never seen this happen before to anyone. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

What was the last thing you did before this happened? Maybe windows updated the iGPU driver, and it went bonkers? Try rolling back to a slightly older one. Maybe go to device manager, uninstall the iGPU, reboot, and see if it fixes it? I've personally never seen this happen before to anyone. 

I uninstalled the igpu driver I updated it to. Sitting on the stock driver right now. Going to bed in like 5 minutes so I will answer the rest of the replies in the morning

Did you do a online inf (chipset driver) and Intel graphics driver update? The offline one sometimes doesn't work.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Did you do a online inf (chipset driver) and Intel graphics driver update? The offline one sometimes doesn't work.

I used the asus cd and I'm pretty sure it worked. I'll take a look at it later