Remote Desktop or Physically Carry?

Hey guys,

I was hoping that you could help me with deciding what the best route is in terms of ease and performance. I have to CAD for an engineering team at my school. We are building our own race car, so we need to model as much of it as we can in order to design it properly. I have an excellent desktop at home that I would like to take advantage of instead of my laptop.

1. Unplug, transport, and set up every time.

2. Use remote desktop to access my computer to take advantage of its processing power and to work on some projects at home.

3. Just use my laptop.

4. Leave the desktop there, though I can't use it during the week.

5. Other options?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

if your connection, and the school connection can handle a few megabits of troughput, just use the home version of teamviewer.

(its non commercial use, so you can use it for free)

EDIT: should mention i used to do this exact thing all the time.

It really depends on the performance of both machines, network at both ends and how demanding the work you're doing really is. Working to a machine on a separate network with most remote desktop clients will leave you with a considerable amount of latency and some image quality degradation (the degree to which will depend on network throughput) - the real decision is whether this creates a better experience than using your laptop or not. I'd give it a try, if nothing else. Carrying a desktop around with you is never a great solution - I wouldn't recommend it myself - but if you reckon it isn't too much hassle for you then give it a try.

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

if your connection, and the school connection can handle a few megabits of troughput, just use the home version of teamviewer.

(its non commercial use, so you can use it for free)

EDIT: should mention i used to do this exact thing all the time.

What are the advantages of teamviewer over windows remote desktop?

What are the advantages of teamviewer over windows remote desktop?

teamviewer is a tad more plug&play over remote connections, and doesnt require windows pro.

teamviewer is a tad more plug&play over remote connections, and doesnt require windows pro.

Not too mention it's more responsive, at least in my experience.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Not too mention it's more responsive, at least in my experience.

really depends. they all have their uses.

WRD isnt really made for going over WAN, teamviewer is.

I always get flustered when the mouse gets jerky and laggy if I am trying to CAD over a remote connection, so I tried steam in-home streaming and it works really well on a local connection... My thought it is VPN into my home and try streaming, but I haven't actually tried it yet, would be worth a shot if you have some time to test it out tho.