Unity VS Unreal Engine

PampaZiya

I have already seen so many debates about this, but would like to hear what you people of LTT Forums think about htis. Unity or Unreal Engine ? 

I have been using Unity for awhile and it's super easy and fun to use. Unreal engine is more than 3 times the size of unity. I'm still not sure if I should make the conversion from Unity to UE.

Anyone used both ? What do you think ?

Unity is easier and for more platforms (mostly mobile) while UE4 is a lot harder, looks a lot nicer, but is avaiable on less platforms.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

well i plan on using unreal when i get a pc thats compatible with it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Unreal is with c++ at a more professional level, while unity is much more basic

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

I have already seen so many debates about this, but would like to hear what you people of LTT Forums think about htis. Unity or Unreal Engine ? 

I have been using Unity for awhile and it's super easy and fun to use. Unreal engine is more than 3 times the size of unity. I'm still not sure if I should make the conversion from Unity to UE.

Anyone used both ? What do you think ?

well you could just see what LTT wants here :

Kinda repost : 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133422-unity-or-unreal-engine/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105754-cry-engine-vs-udk-vs-unity-3d-which-is-best/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

easy vs epic

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Unreal is a LOT better in many ways. Most notably graphics and professionalism.

Unreal is better ;)

Unity is easier and for more platforms (mostly mobile) while UE4 is a lot harder, looks a lot nicer, but is avaiable on less platforms.

well i plan on using unreal when i get a pc thats compatible with it

Unreal is with c++ at a more professional level, while unity is much more basic

unity=easy

unreal=complicated but better

easy vs epic

Umm... good point from you guys, most say easy vs epic. But unity does offer some exceptional graphics when you get deep into it. For me the upside of UE is the blueprints system and c++, I have been using C++ much longer than C#, even thought they are very similar. 

If this post is already posted, I can delete it right away xD I have read the comments in the links provided by @Robith_Kumar_SP and they are interesting.

Thanks all !

Umm... good point from you guys, most say easy vs epic. But unity does offer some exceptional graphics when you get deep into it. For me the upside of UE is the blueprints system and c++, I have been using C++ much longer than C#, even thought they are very similar. 

If this post is already posted, I can delete it right away xD I have read the comments in the links provided by @Robith_Kumar_SP and they are interesting.

Thanks all !

"Once you get deep into it"

With UE you can create stunning images without even doing anything.

"Once you get deep into it"

With UE you can create stunning images without even doing anything.

Oh  :ph34r: I shall download it today and try it out.. To be honest I am using Engines to learn more than to actually create games. I am still a college student but I love learning more about everything, I major in Computer Science.

I find Unity a much more pleasant experience, and I heavily prefer c# to c++.. so that's a bonus. Both engines are very expandable, so there's not really anything that is inherently better with either of them. In terms of performance, UE will generally win; But with IL2CPP on its way, Unity will be able to at least close a big part of that gap.

In the end, you should simply go with what you feel comfortable with, both will be able to yield fantastic results if you put enough time and effort in.

Cheers,

Linus

I find Unity a much more pleasant experience, and I heavily prefer c# to c++.. so that's a bonus. Both engines are very expandable, so there's not really anything that is inherently better with either of them. In terms of performance, UE will generally win; But with IL2CPP on it's way, Unity will be able to at least close a big part of that gap.

In the end, you should simply go with what you feel comfortable with, both will be able to yield fantastic results if you put enough time and effort in.

Yes I was kinda O.o when I found out that UE uses C++. But I guess if that works with them. I think the biggest difference between the two are particles effects. I guess it all depends on our own imagination and how big we can dream to make a good project. It always depends on the developers themselves, perhaps if you give experienced inspired devs Unity 5.0, they would create an astonishing game whereas devs with low skills would suffer in UE.

I think I prefer the Engine that will have more learning grounds for me. I'm the type of person that sees something, a video or a website and gets obsessed on how the people who did it, did it. So I hate closed ends, which of the two you think has more user support ? People who can reply to your questions and have many youtube videos.

So I hate closed ends, which of the two you think has more user support ? People who can reply to your questions and have many youtube videos.

Currently, and in the past, this spot has been dominated by Unity—but in a couple of years there will be a lot more quality resources for beginners available for UE as well (with them going Free and "open source", that stuff allows for fast user-base growth) to even the grounds.

But then again, who knows how relevant a game engine is a couple of years down the road? Many things can and will change. :)

Also, much of what a person has to learn about developing games is theory and how to work around issues, which is not bound to any specific engine. So, in essence, the most important part is to continuously step outside ones comfort zone in order to dig up some more knowledge, instead of getting stuck in a loop of doing the same things over and over.

Cheers,

Linus

This thread is unreal ;) but yea Unreal FTW

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Currently, and in the past, this spot has been dominated by Unity—but in a couple of years there will be a lot more quality resources for beginners available for UE as well (with them going Free and "open source", that stuff allows for fast user-base growth) to even the grounds.

But then again, who knows how relevant a game engine is a couple of years down the road? Many things can and will change. :)

Also, much of what a person has to learn about developing games is theory and how to work around issues, which is not bound to any specific engine. So, in essence, the most important part is to continuously step outside ones comfort zone in order to dig up some more knowledge, instead of getting stuck in a loop of doing the same things over and over.

Thanks, you have been very helpful ! I will try to do as much new things as I can and keep on learning!

Thanks everyone for the replies, you all game me the motivation needed to start using UE. I think I will give it a shot, if I found myself in it, I will keep on using it, if not I will continue using Unity.

Please keep the responses going, always nice to hear more of what people think and the more the discussion grows the better my understanding of the difference becomes xD

P.S : If this is still considered a report I will happily remove it xD

Unity is easier and cheaper, Unreal more complex and better graphically

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon