HIFIMAN HE400S vs HE400I vs HE560 vs HE500

Profoundsoup

The 400S has received alot of criticism of it not having the bass. The 400i and the 560... I can't say much about them. The HE-500 said to be a really good all arounder and is quite loved by many who do and don't own them.

The 400S has received alot of criticism of it not having the bass. The 400i and the 560... I can't say much about them. The HE-500 said to be a really good all arounder and is quite loved by many who do and don't own them.

I hear the 400I seems to be better in the mid range and for comfort but I have no idea. So Im thinking of either the 400I or 560

What is the difference of each and what is worth the money? 

400's are budget oriented(I prefer AKG) as far as the 500's go they are one of the most un plantronic sounding headphones out there but I don't have a lot of background knowledge on the 560's except they are an improvement on the 500' :P

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

http://headfonics.com/2015/01/the-he400i-and-he560-planars-by-hifiman/4/ I read a comparison between the 400i and 560 and the 560's dont seem worth the $300 more...lol

Good for you. If you're already of that opinion, then why ask about it on the forum? I'm just telling you that in my opinion, the he 560 is a significant step up from the 400i, and I think that it's well worth the money. If you've already made up your mind, then why even post the question?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Good for you. If you're already of that opinion, then why ask about it on the forum? I'm just telling you that in my opinion, the he 560 is a significant step up from the 400i, and I think that it's well worth the money. If you've already made up your mind, then why even post the question?

For a discussion 

Just to make sure.....you think they are worth $350 more...?

Dude, you clearly need to get your body to a hifi shop, or just start buying these phones used to try them out. Spamming threads asking for unqualified opinions is not going to make your decision any easier; at this level, superiority is pretty subjective. Case in point, HE-400i vs HE-560: if you aren't sure the 560 is worth $800, you aren't ready to spend that kind of money on a headphone without hearing it first.

Just to make sure.....you think they are worth $350 more...?

Yes.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Dude, you clearly need to get your body to a hifi shop, or just start buying these phones used to try them out. Spamming threads asking for unqualified opinions is not going to make your decision any easier; at this level, superiority is pretty subjective. Case in point, HE-400i vs HE-560: if you aren't sure the 560 is worth $800, you aren't ready to spend that kind of money on a headphone without hearing it first.

I live in the middle of Minnesota.......there is no where to try them LOL. So I need to gather as much info as I can from others and online. If you dont want me posting here then ban me but I need information anywhere I can get it. Sorry

I live in the middle of Minnesota.......there is no where to try them LOL

That's why I said to alternatively buy them used, and then re-sell them at minimal loss. A number of people on the forum use this strategy as far as I know.

That's why I said to alternatively buy them used, and then re-sell them at minimal loss. A number of people on the forum use this strategy as far as I know.

or..........I could just gather information before I buy them........maybe.....idk if that's a thing people do. Its much easier to gather info from online then it is to run around online and buy shit then have to just sell it.

or..........I could just gather information before I buy them........maybe.....idk if that's a thing people do. Its much easier to gather info from online then it is to run around online and buy shit then have to just sell it.

Sure. There are a lot of in-depth reviews to be found online if you look. I have to say, though, you really cannot get an idea of what a headphone sounds like from reading reviews or looking a graphs. Ultimately you're just going to have to pull to trigger and buy one of them - or not.

Sure. There are a lot of in-depth reviews to be found online if you look. I have to say, though, you really cannot get an idea of what a headphone sounds like from reading reviews or looking a graphs. Ultimately you're just going to have to pull to trigger and buy one of them - or not.

I know that Im just trying to narrow it down before I order thats all. 

I know that Im just trying to narrow it down before I order thats all. 

Then try them yourself. Thats arguably the best way to tell which headphone is for you. If you don't like it, then put it down or sell it off.

Then try them yourself. Thats arguably the best way to tell which headphone is for you. If you don't like it, then put it down or sell it off.

I ordered the 400i and AKG 712 to try out off amazon since they have free easy returns as a Prime member. 

I ordered the 400i and AKG 712 to try out off amazon since they have free easy returns as a Prime member. 

I've owned K712 and He-500, they are not very similar, I think he-500 was a bit more neutral. I didn't like how heavy and uncomfortable they were, but the He-400i is supposed to have a bit less bass than the he-500 if I remember right.  The he-400i is supposed to be more comfortable too.

I really like my K712's, super comfy for long sessions, and they weigh almost nothing.  Sound is great, they sound quite similar to the HD-800 I used to have but sold for money troubles.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I've owned K712 and He-500, they are not very similar, I think he-500 was a bit more neutral. I didn't like how heavy and uncomfortable they were, but the He-400i is supposed to have a bit less bass than the he-500 if I remember right.  The he-400i is supposed to be more comfortable too.

I really like my K712's, super comfy for long sessions, and they weigh almost nothing.  Sound is great, they sound quite similar to the HD-800 I used to have but sold for money troubles.

Yeah Ill report back in a few days after testing, I also owned the HD 800's and I hated them....they were too....treble heavy and didnt have much excitement to them IMO some people like that for classical music and such but they were just so boring to me... :/

Yeah Ill report back in a few days after testing, I also owned the HD 800's and I hated them....they were too....treble heavy and didnt have much excitement to them IMO some people like that for classical music and such but they were just so boring to me... :/

I think you mean that the HD800 is dry, not treble heavy. If it was treble heavy, it would've been considered as bright headphones if I remember correctly.

I think you mean that the HD800 is dry, not treble heavy. If it was treble heavy, it would've been considered as bright headphones if I remember correctly.

all of the above

Plenty of people consider the HD800 bright. Treble "heavy" seems a bit oxymoronic, though.

Gotta love adjectives like "dry" being applied to headphones. As though things weren't muddled and subjective enough.

Plenty of people consider the HD800 bright. Treble "heavy" seems a bit oxymoronic, though.

Gotta love adjectives like "dry" being applied to headphones. As though things weren't muddled and subjective enough.

Well, fair point.

There's a thread somewhere on HeadFi that has all the adjectives and their definitions that are used when describing sound qualities. It has been helpful for me when trying to understand what people mean when they describe sound qualities.

Personally, I own HE-500's, have tried HE-400's, and have only read about 560's. From my understanding, the 560's are only a minor step up from 500's apart from comfort levels and are generally not worth the price over 500's. 400's are a completely different sounding headphone and I personally did not like them.

Also, if you are considering buying ortho's, you better budget a considerable amount for a good DAC and amp. I can tell you from first hand experience that smaller/less powerful or lower quality DACs/amps will not work well with anything above an HE-400. When I say "considerable" I mean equal to or more than the cost of the headphones.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C