HIFIMAN HE400S vs HE400I vs HE560 vs HE500

Profoundsoup

There's a thread somewhere on HeadFi that has all the adjectives and their definitions that are used when describing sound qualities. It has been helpful for me when trying to understand what people mean when they describe sound qualities.

I'm sure the people on head-fi think they know what they mean.

I've owned K712 and He-500, they are not very similar, I think he-500 was a bit more neutral. I didn't like how heavy and uncomfortable they were, but the He-400i is supposed to have a bit less bass than the he-500 if I remember right.  The he-400i is supposed to be more comfortable too.

I really like my K712's, super comfy for long sessions, and they weigh almost nothing.  Sound is great, they sound quite similar to the HD-800 I used to have but sold for money troubles.

Then try them yourself. Thats arguably the best way to tell which headphone is for you. If you don't like it, then put it down or sell it off.

So I just got the two headphones and right out of the box the He400i sound ALOT better they sound alot more "fuller" then the K712. Maybe its the planar doing the extra work with the bass but they sound alot better IMO. Just a first impressions :)

This is my first time ever hearing planar headphones and Im really impressed :)

I'm sure the people on head-fi think they know what they mean.

I think you mean that the HD800 is dry, not treble heavy. If it was treble heavy, it would've been considered as bright headphones if I remember correctly.

So I got the 400i and they sound really good my issue with them so far is that my left ear rubs on the driver and gets painful after about 30 min, they are also heavy and get quite hot on the ears after about 1 hour or so....I ordered the Philips X2 and the Shure 1840's to try out so we will see how that goes in a few days