What would be a good pre-ordering scheme?

Remilia

As already most of you know, pre-ordering is a pretty backwards concept from a consumer-perspective, but stupid concepts can have genius executions.

Personally I have a pretty neutral stance on pre-ordering, if there's a game I really want then I usually buy it a week or two before launch for the pre-loading. Pretty much at the time it's finished, never months before.

I'm curious, what do you think is necessary for a pre-ordering scheme to be both beneficial to the consumer AND the developer/publisher? It doesn't have to be realistic or ever done before, I'd just like some thoughts on the subject. What is required in order to keep everyone happy?

I think beta access is the way to go, since first of all it does touch the issue where you're buying something you have no clear idea how it will turn out, and you get something "tangible" from the pre-order, not just a receipt waiting to get checked.

And no "never pre-order", "pre-order is always bad" "blahbahblah", that's just no fun.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

i pre ordered mgs V and the fable 1 remake on pc and was never disappointed. but i havnt pre ordered anything bad so im ok with it

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

None, never preorder, under any concept, wait to know that it's worth to buy the game

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Access to a late beta if the game is multiplayer, then have the option of transferring stats onto main profile on launch. If its multiplayer ofcourse. 

The promise of free crap is always great, something of value that only the pre order can provide. << Enforce this by making sure that the pre-order items don't come bundled in some dlc down the road, reward the pre-orderers and leech the peasants? 

That way next time(If the game is good), pre orders will be on the up, brand recognition ect ect

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

A pre-ordering scheme that benefits the customer...

Maybe if the game dev company released the game on time instead of delaying it over and over again? (ROCKSTAR. O.o) Then we wouldn't really have to pre-order at all! it'd be fantastic!

Or maybe do the pre-order, but if people find a load of game-breaking glitches or bugs they can unconditionally return the game for a full refund?

Get to play the game 24h before its release, for $10 more. (and pre-loading)

Nothing else than that. No DLC or some other kind of "extra" content.

If you truly believe in the game, know the/a developer, have a close relationship with those making it - by all means, pre-order. 

This day in age....with everything being cloud-based, spend your money on faster internet and download it in an hour while you take a shower and eat pizza. So pre-loading is a meh point for me these days. 

I HAVE reserved copies. But that's $5 or whatever to gamestop, not paying for the whole game. Why can't we just have that? $5 gets you pre-loading. :;shrugs::

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I can't think of a pre-order scheme that would actually benefit the consumer.

So, none then? I really don't get why pre-ordering is even a thing still with this digital era.

For preordering to be beneficial to both parties I would say it should be somewhat treated like early access but with cancellation rights. So that is you get access to a pretty up to date version of the game on a regular basis from the moment you buy the preorder until the game actually arrives. At any point up until 2 weeks post release however you can cancel your purchase and get all your money back. This allows the companies to get access to their strongest fans and input into the game process, the strongest fans get the benefit they really want from preordering and everyone can walk away from the deal if the company doesn't do a good job and release something decent.

I use to buy games all the time off of playing them in demo discs. Having a 5 minute time limit on a game made me go out and buy the full game.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Sorry, I know it goes against the "rules" in the OP, but putting down money for a product that doesn't exist—and for which no third-party opinions exist—is never going to be okay with me. There is no other industry where this is normal or acceptable.

One can try to make the obvious argument that it at least serves a purpose in the case of physical products that can sell out, but that's still no less of a risk. It's a gamble, but one where the house cannot lose. The consumer risks everything, the seller risks nothing.

Thats an easy Answer.

Dev´s and Pub´s just have to stop being lying F@#%.

How i hate those early Interview Videos.

"Year, we did this and we did that, this is awesome, that is awesome, we´ve done things never done before, we realy love the Alienfranchise."

zZzZzZz...

I work for the Automobil Industry. If we would pull off this kind of shit the Gamingindustry do, we would have a hard time to get any business again.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO