Do you REALLY need to install the motherboard chipset?

There are 10 types of people in this world...

Those who install the manufacturer supplied chipset..and those who let Windows handle it for them.. (SORRY)

There seems to be a lot of debate over whether you need to install the Chipset or just use the 'basic' windows chipset. Some people seem to think it's ok just to not bother while others insist you install it

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

... wat... thats something you can do.. dafuq no one has said this before, what does it do?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

What is a chipset?

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

I always install the manufactor chipset drivers.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

What do you mean by install chipset, as the chipset refers to the hardware of a motherboard, do you mean its drivers, if so I don't use the disc provided as I don't use disc drives

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

i'm guessing you mean installing the chipset drivers, since i'm fairly sure all chipsets are soldered to the mobo :P

anyway, i always just use the manufacturer drivers. i don't even know where to get other drivers for it.

I always install the manufactor chipset drivers.

Me too, ALWAYS.

OP - Test it yourself, let Windows do its thing, bench it.

Use Website drivers and test that.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

There are 10 types of people in this world...

Those who install the manufacturer supplied chipset..and those who let Windows handle it for them.. (SORRY)

There seems to be a lot of debate over whether you need to install the Chipset or just use the 'basic' windows chipset. Some people seem to think it's ok just to not bother while others insist you install it

Unless there are devices without drivers in Device Manager, don't install them. It makes literally 0 difference.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You dont "install a chipset"

That doesnt even make sence. A chipset is a physical thing on the motherboard.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

How are people confused with what he means..

Pretty straight forward, although already answered enough...most people use manufacturers drivers.

Are people THAT nit-picky they MUST bring up the obvious and make the OP feel like an idiot.?

Code of Conduct - "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

What is a chipset?

With chipset is generally referred to a number of related integrated circuits that meet along a specific task. And yes, english is still not my native Language. :P

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

With chipset is generally referred to a number of related integrated circuits that meet along a specific task. And yes, english is still not my native Language. :P

I was just joking mate, hehe, but thanks anyway, it's good information, keep up your solid work ;)

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

You dont "install a chipset"

That doesnt even make sence. A chipset is a physical thing on the motherboard.

he meant chipset DRIVER, which you should indeed install.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

some packages will not allow install without chipset support (Intel Management Engine)

some USB support will not be approved, PCIe distribution may cause conflicts upon

other usages, etc.. the windows package only supports minimal support to have a

quasi-supported devices without the proper chipset support installed.

now that the chipset is controlling more devices/PCIe lanes, it'd prolly be a better idea

for the installation of the chipset drivers more so than 5-years ago.