[Mini-News] Apple iPhone 6s and iPad Pro RAM specs

TroubleKlef

You going all your way out with very weak points and you keep insisting on sticking with is a sign of arrogance.

Weak points? If facts are weak points...

ipads have been gimmicks ever since 1. I did not say the opposite; sorry if the paragraph was too difficult for you. Why are other tablets a thing? Because they either cost much less while offering the same functionality, or are much better, offering expandable storage, multiple ports in some cases, keyboards that don't cost like a new tablet by themselves, intel cpus, and so on. Please refrain from calling others ignorant and butthurt when you yourself aren't making a great display of wisdom or intelligence.

I never said 300$ "dumb" watches make any sense; sticking words into my mouth doesn't validate your arguments. Looks are completely irrelevant in a discussion about technology. If you want to discuss jewelry, this is the wrong forum.

Get your numbers straight, apple has 20% of the smartphone market (and 80% of the profits). Not 40%. Samsung sits at 21% and it was higher in previous years. There's no way around it, brand-locking devices is bad, period. There are NO advantages to doing so.

Ooooh, sorry, "pressure sensitive". Because that changes much. Are you going to tell me you know exactly how much pressure you're applying and you can bind specific functions to 30% force or 50%? Nope. In everyday use it translates directly to a clickable screen. It's either tap or press harder - anything inbetween isn't discernible by human beings. 1 or 0. left or right. And trust me, on blackberry it worked just fine - it simply wasn't particularly useful, just as it isn't useful in the ipad.

Games "for force touch"? What do you mean by that? It's like saying "games for mouse". The platform is the ipad (or an ios device with force touch in general), the force touch is the "feature". Coming from a guy who has played doom 3 to the end on a nexus 7 during a voyage.

How many people do you see playing intensive 3d games on their tablets on the bus? I have only ever seen children do that, just like I've seen them use a psp or nds. And of the 3 the tablet is definitely the least practical.

Define "broken technology". Force sensitive drawing tablets have existed for more than a decade and have always worked great, ask wacom. The surface tablet does it just as well as the ipad pro. There's nothing new or innovative here really.

I hope you realize you're the one throwing insults around like a 5 year old here. Not me. And again, it's not the fact that you have other things to do that is comical, it's the fact that you have to toss the fact around teathrically to make sure everyone notices you're not "giving up". Either way this is a discussion for another time. In the current discussion you have yet to provide me a single example of a situation where this ipad pro is a good choice, whereas I have clearly stated multiple times where it isn't and why. You're picking at minutiae (and failing at it, too) instead of providing any points of your own. "apple innovates" is not a point if you can't tell me what that so-called "innovation" is useful for. "it looks good" is also not a valid point.

And yes, I feel free of saying what I want in this forum as long as it doesn't go against the coc. It's called free speech. You have the same right, although currently you are going agains the coc by insulting me. It doesn't make me "feel like a king" to simply state facts in my favour when my points are challenged.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because people are stupid and start comparing specs of different devices ...

I've heard the real reason is due to the fact that they do not want developers to worry about how much RAM. All apps need just be a RAM-sparing as possible and theoretically apple will make sure the phones have enough ram at a given moment to use an app.

But yeah that too lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Weak points? If facts are weak points...

ipads have been gimmicks ever since 1. I did not say the opposite; sorry if the paragraph was too difficult for you. Why are other tablets a thing? Because they either cost much less while offering the same functionality, or are much better, offering expandable storage, multiple ports in some cases, keyboards that don't cost like a new tablet by themselves, intel cpus, and so on. Please refrain from calling others ignorant and butthurt when you yourself aren't making a great display of wisdom or intelligence.

I never said 300$ "dumb" watches make any sense; sticking words into my mouth doesn't validate your arguments. Looks are completely irrelevant in a discussion about technology. If you want to discuss jewelry, this is the wrong forum.

Get your numbers straight, apple has 20% of the smartphone market (and 80% of the profits). Not 40%. Samsung sits at 21% and it was higher in previous years. There's no way around it, brand-locking devices is bad, period. There are NO advantages to doing so.

Ooooh, sorry, "pressure sensitive". Because that changes much. Are you going to tell me you know exactly how much pressure you're applying and you can bind specific functions to 30% force or 50%? Nope. In everyday use it translates directly to a clickable screen. It's either tap or press harder - anything inbetween isn't discernible by human beings. 1 or 0. left or right. And trust me, on blackberry it worked just fine - it simply wasn't particularly useful, just as it isn't useful in the ipad.

Games "for force touch"? What do you mean by that? It's like saying "games for mouse". The platform is the ipad (or an ios device with force touch in general), the force touch is the "feature".

How many people do you see playing intensive 3d games on their tablets on the bus? I have only ever seen children do that, just like I've seen them use a psp or nds. And of the 3 the tablet is definitely the least practical.

Define "broken technology". Force sensitive drawing tablets have existed for more than a decade and have always worked great, ask wacom. The surface tablet does it just as well as the ipad pro. There's nothing new or innovative here really.

I hope you realize you're the one throwing insults around like a 5 year old here. Not me. And again, it's not the fact that you have other things to do that is comical, it's the fact that you have to toss the fact around teathrically to make sure everyone notices you're not "giving up". Either way this is a discussion for another time. In the current discussion you have yet to provide me a single example of a situation where this ipad pro is a good choice, whereas I have clearly stated multiple times where it isn't and why. You're picking at minutiae (and failing at it, too) instead of providing any points of your own. "apple innovates" is not a point if you can't tell me what that so-called "innovation" is useful for. "it looks good" is also not a valid point.

And yes, I feel free of saying what I want in this forum as long as it doesn't go against the coc. It's called free speech. You have the same right, although currently you are going agains the coc by insulting me. It doesn't make me "feel like a king" to simply state facts in my favour when my points are challenged.

2 words. Block him.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I've heard the real reason is due to the fact that they do not want developers to worry about how much RAM. All apps need just be a RAM-sparing as possible and theoretically apple will make sure the phones have enough ram at a given moment to use an app.

But yeah that too lol

I wonder if simply limiting the ram amount an application can use by itself wouldn't achieve the same... they could then make case-by-case exceptions if a program really needs more. Besides, even 1.5gb of ram are a lot for a single mobile app to use by itself if it isn't a game or a productivity application (assuming you can actually use such a program well on an ipad/iphone). They could just say, "if you want to publish to the app store you can't use more than 1gb unless you ask specifically".

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Let me see. The MS Surface in all its versions have been far from an iPad in all bar the general concept. Apple decided that instead of designing a whole new tablet aimed at productivity, they simply used the old iPad formula that hasn't changed much since its inception, and added an expensive keyboard, renamed a stylus a pencil and called it a day-the concept itself is copied from Microsoft.

Someone's salty.

I'm not saying the iPad Pro is going to change the world (again, I'm not buying one), but if Apple turned the tablet category from a fringe market into a good chunk of their business, then they did something no one else was with the original iPad. Now, instead of splitting a MacBook into two parts and adding a touchscreen (which they've vowed not to include on a desktop), they've created a much more powerful, larger, better-looking and better-sounding version that's more akin to Wacom's Android tablet than the Surface. It's still based a mobile OS, because using any sort of desktop OS with a touchscreen (especially on a tablet, not just a touch laptop) is pretty bad, and Windows' "modern" UI was and is pretty boring to use.

I can see the Surface's use, but I'm not so dense as to think that the iPad Pro is just 'a Surface clone,' as if the Surface would even exist if Apple hadn't shown that tablets and large touchscreen devices could be a mainstream thing.

Both Photoshop and AutoCAD are heavily cut down versions. 4GB will be fine for it since you won't do any heavy stuff on it to begin with.

Hell it doesn't even have a trackpad or mouse cursor...

So by that logic, Samsung never copied anything from Apple because without Samsung, Apple might never have made the iPhone or iPad. Correct?

No? I hate to pull this out, but http://todayilearned.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/samsung-phones-before-and-after-iphones.jpeg

1) That image is bullshit and deliberately don't show all the Samsung phones that looked like iPhones before the iPhone came out, or the phones they are still releasing that don't look like iPhones.

That entire image looks like a joke when you see this one. Your image is nothing more than a lie, and every time you post it you are lying.

samsung-before-and-after-iphone-635x463.

2) You just said that it can't be copying if the device being copied wouldn't exist without the company doing the copying to begin with.

Your logic is this:

Surface wouldn't exist without the iPad so therefore it is not copying for Apple to take features from it.

When I tried to apply the same logic to Samsung and Apple all of a sudden it's wrong?

iPhone/iPad wouldn't exist without Samsung so if the statement about the Surface and iPad is true, it must also be true that Samsung was not copying Apple.

I'm loving the experts on both sides of this argument on a product that hasn't released yet  :P

Someone's salty.

I'm not saying the iPad Pro is going to change the world (again, I'm not buying one), but if Apple turned the tablet category from a fringe market into a good chunk of their business, then they did something no one else was with the original iPad. Now, instead of splitting a MacBook into two parts and adding a touchscreen (which they've vowed not to include on a desktop), they've created a much more powerful, larger, better-looking and better-sounding version that's more akin to Wacom's Android tablet than the Surface. It's still based a mobile OS, because using any sort of desktop OS with a touchscreen (especially on a tablet, not just a touch laptop) is pretty bad, and Windows' "modern" UI was and is pretty boring to use.

I can see the Surface's use, but I'm not so dense as to think that the iPad Pro is just 'a Surface clone,' as if the Surface would even exist if Apple hadn't shown that tablets and large touchscreen devices could be a mainstream thing.

1. You have never used a touchscreen desktop OS before on a touch screen-so you can't state how bad it is due to no experience at all with them.

2. Looks are all well and good-but Apple is trying to aim what is effectively a fashion accessory at people who need a tablet that is suitable for productivity and can actually run non-gimped programs while also having loads of connectivity and features

3. When did Android enter the discussion? For productivity its as bad if not worse than iOS

4. How does the style of the interface change how useful a device is? (not the layout but the 'looks').

5. Whoop. The idea of the Tablet has been around for far longer than the iPad and the Surface is different in every single way. Apple only made the tablet look good-that's it. Your claiming that other tablets wouldn't exist without the iPad? Get real.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1) That image is bullshit and deliberately don't show all the Samsung phones that looked like iPhones before the iPhone came out, or the phones they are still releasing that don't look like iPhones.

That entire image looks like a joke when you see this one. Your image is nothing more than a lie, and every time you post it you are lying.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Samsung-phones-before-and-after-iPhone.jpg"]http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Samsung-phones-before-and-after-iPhone.jpg

2) You just said that it can't be copying if the device being copied wouldn't exist without the company doing the copying to begin with.

Your logic is this:

Surface wouldn't exist without the iPad so therefore it is not copying for Apple to take features from it.

When I tried to apply the same logic to Samsung and Apple all of a sudden it's wrong?

iPhone/iPad wouldn't exist without Samsung so if the statement about the Surface and iPad is true, it must also be true that Samsung was not copying Apple.

1. That's a 404

2. Samsung had some concept phones and stuff in pre-production, but they didn't have phones on sale that functioned anything like an iPhone. They certainly didn't use capacitive, glass displays either. For years after the iPhone, they made phones with resistive touchscreens and plastic displays.

3. Those aren't the same; sure, Microsoft had made some 'tablets,' but they were jokes and weren't going anywhere. No one wanted a desktop OS on a tablet, at the time it was more trouble than it was worth.

4. Apple began development on the iPhone several years before release, it's not like Samsung concepts leaked in 2005 and Jony Ive drew up some designs, a week later showing it off to the world.

5. Again, Samsung phones may not have looked exactly like an iPhone, but going from keyboard/flip/slide/tiny-screened phones to full-touch, larger-screen displays after the iPhone means that they had to at least have had some 'inspiration.'

1. You have never used a touchscreen desktop OS before on a touch screen-so you can't state how bad it is due to no experience at all with them.

2. Looks are all well and good-but Apple is trying to aim what is effectively a fashion accessory at people who need a tablet that is suitable for productivity and can actually run non-gimped programs while also having loads of connectivity and features

3. When did Android enter the discussion? For productivity its as bad if not worse than iOS

4. How does the style of the interface change how useful a device is? (not the layout but the 'looks').

5. Whoop. The idea of the Tablet has been around for far longer than the iPad and the Surface is different in every single way. Apple only made the tablet look good-that's it. Your claiming that other tablets wouldn't exist without the iPad? Get real.

1. That's presumptuous, I've stated on this very thread IIRC that my brother has a SP3, which I've used extensively.

2. That's a subjective opinion

3. I meant the iPad is super-useful as a graphics tablet, similar to Wacom's android-pen tablets. 

4. Because interface/UX is EVERYTHING to the consumer. Windows 8's tile system felt rushed.

5. I said that tablets did exist before the iPad, but like Apple typically does, they turned it into something more than a concept that was going nowhere. Because of that, other companies followed suit. You can't say Samsung, Microsoft and the rest would be making tablets, or at least tablets in the sense we see them if the iPad had never existed. If they had turned into something more without Apple's input, they would be very different.

And Plus it's not about what Apple did with the technology but the fact that they have a phone that is pressure sensitive is the innovation. Don't bother to bring up other companies who tried doing it because they all miserably failed and it never saw the light of the day until apple did a beautiful job executing it

Lol, the Note series says hello and the Surface line too. It never saw the light of the day because these companies aren't stupid to think pressure sensitivity is a revolution. It is just there for people who use it.Every graphics tablet also has pressure sensitivity. My fucking pencil has pressure sensitivity (and not the fucking overpriced bullshit stylus) 

Let's face it, like with any other gimmick, the 3D Touch is going to be used the first week, and then never used again.

You can force touch contacts to see SOME of your contacts, but couldn't you just press the contact app and see all of your contacts? Your recents all there anyways.

@1 min

Lol, the Note series says hello and the Surface line too. It never saw the light of the day because these companies aren't stupid to think pressure sensitivity is a revolution. It is just there for people who use it.Every graphics tablet also has pressure sensitivity. My fucking pencil has pressure sensitivity (and not the fucking overpriced bullshit stylus) 

Let's face it, like with any other gimmick, the 3D Touch is going to be used the first week, and then never used again.

You can force touch contacts to see SOME of your contacts, but couldn't you just press the contact app and see all of your contacts? Your recents all there anyways.

@1 min

If pressure sensitive stylus is a thing then why not finger? You just contradicted yourself here. Plus there is a difference between pressure sensitive stylus and screen as stylus is way easier to implement

Again you're talking about apple here. they're the last company to introduce a feature that gimmicky unlike others. 3D Touch is useful and it has a huge potential. No more holding down on the word to get the cursor right, rather just use keyboard as a trackpad using force touch, no need for extra controls in games rather use force touch as a toggle for change in weapon, make a text format just force touching it, etc etc. There are literally tons of ways I could think of to implement this technology and I'm sure developers are going to do wonderful job. But wait for a year or two when all android phones will have the feature, then you'll know how good force touch can be

Lets compare the procedure, what Jon's wife said is because she hasn't used it. Basically it's like saying why don't you use your computer to do stuff rather than on a smartphone. you'll have to use it to appreciate it or atleast have a capability to imagine a scenario which you don't have

Phone (0.5 sec delay) --> Favorites tab (0.5 sec delay) --> Scan through the list (let's say 5 sec) --> press it

Force touch phone --> Scan through the list (1 sec) --> call

You use this everyday and you'll find how the 1st method is painfully slow

1. That's a 404

Sorry about that. It's fixed now.

2. Samsung had some concept phones and stuff in pre-production, but they didn't have phones on sale that functioned anything like an iPhone. They certainly didn't use capacitive, glass displays either. For years after the iPhone, they made phones with resistive touchscreens and plastic displays.

Oh are we going to play that game?

"Apple had some concept tablets and stuff in pre-production, but they didn't have any tablets on sale that functioned anything like the Surface Pro. They certainly didn't use dual-digitizers with pressure sensitive pens either. For years after the Surface Pro, they made tablets with only capacitive digitizers."

3. Those aren't the same; sure, Microsoft had made some 'tablets,' but they were jokes and weren't going anywhere. No one wanted a desktop OS on a tablet, at the time it was more trouble than it was worth.

The Surface Pro 3 was a joke? Also I would argue that Windows 8 was more of a tablet OS than a desktop one.

4. Apple began development on the iPhone several years before release, it's not like Samsung concepts leaked in 2005 and Jony Ive drew up some designs, a week later showing it off to the world.

And you don't think Samsung develops phones several years before release as well? It's only Apple that does that in the entire industry so therefore even if Apple releases something last, you can still claim that they were first. Is that correct?

5. Again, Samsung phones may not have looked exactly like an iPhone, but going from keyboard/flip/slide/tiny-screened phones to full-touch, larger-screen displays after the iPhone means that they had to at least have had some 'inspiration.'

Again, the Surface Pro may not look exactly like the Sufrace Pro, but going from capacitive digitizer/no keyboard/no stylus to dual digitizer, pressure sensitive pen, larger screen tablets with keyboard covers after the Surface Pro means that they had ot at least have had some 'inspiration'.

By the way, I am not trying to say that Samsung didn't copy things from Apple. I am just saying that your rational for why the iPad Pro isn't copying things from the Surface Pro is extremely illogical and fanboy-ish.

I don't even think it's wrong to copy things. I am just tired of this mentality that some people got that Apple never copies anything. Everything they do is original and creative.

If pressure sensitive stylus is a thing then why not finger?

Because you can actually draw with a stylus. Graphic work is the only field where a pressure sensitive stylus is useful. That's what wacom does. That's what the surface does. The ipad pro does it with a 100$ addition that others give you for free and on a nerfed version of the real program.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because you can actually draw with a stylus. Graphic work is the only field where a pressure sensitive stylus is useful. That's what wacom does. That's what the surface does. The ipad pro does it with a 100$ addition that others give you for free and on a nerfed version of the real program.

I regret ever clicking your notification as I spend more time replying to you than something doing worthwhile

Didn't you read about the what I wrote, I gave multiple instances of where it would be useful yet you keep sticking with that same stupid point. Its another way of interaction along with normal touch screen and buttons. Why don't you get that fact into your head?? Why do we need touchscreens if when we can use a mouse and keyboard more precision? 

I regret ever clicking your notification as I spend more time replying to you than something doing worthwhile

Didn't you read about the what I wrote, I gave multiple instances of where it would be useful yet you keep sticking with that same stupid point. Its another way of interaction along with normal touch screen and buttons. Why don't you get that fact into your head?? Why do we need touchscreens if when we can use a mouse and keyboard more precision? 

You vastly overestimate what can be done with pressure sensitivity. Human beings cannot control the exact pressure they exert; you can't change the format of a text with force touch unless it brings down a contextual menu just like a right click or "long" press would. You can't select a precise weapon in a game (even if that made any sense compared to just having an on-screen button for that) by exercising an exact pressure level, you can only scroll through them in only one order (and that would mean it wouldn't be used for shooting or anything else). Why would you use your on-screen keyboard as a trackpad? How would you click, even if ios had proper cursor support? Not only that, using the "trackpad" would prevent you from binding any other function to it.

As for your procedure comparison; why does it suddenly take less to scroll through the list on the iphone? scrolling depends exclusively on the number of entries and how many you can visualize at a time (on a contextual menu in a 750p screen, not many...), so the scroll time is AT LEAST identical if not longer.

Phone (0.5 sec delay) --> Favorites tab (0.5 sec delay) --> Scan through the list (let's say 5 sec) --> press it = 6 sec
Force touch phone --> Scan through the list (5 sec) (oh, and what if it ISN'T in your favourites/most called?) --> call = 5 sec
5 - 6 = 1 sec spared.
Wow. Much improvement. Very worth 400$.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You vastly overestimate what can be done with pressure sensitivity. Human beings cannot control the exact pressure they exert; you can't change the format of a text with force touch unless it brings down a contextual menu just like a right click or "long" press would. You can't select a precise weapon in a game (even if that made any sense compared to just having an on-screen button for that) by exercising an exact pressure level, you can only scroll through them in only one order (and that would mean it wouldn't be used for shooting or anything else). Why would you use your on-screen keyboard as a trackpad? How would you click, even if ios had proper cursor support? Not only that, using the "trackpad" would prevent you from binding any other function to it.

There are three different distinct level of pressure toggle that you'll understand by the haptic feedback. And what they demonstrated was that you could use light fire the light tap and heavy fire with stronger tap. Not cycling through weapons!

As for your procedure comparison; why does it suddenly take less to scroll through the list on the iphone? scrolling depends exclusively on the number of entries and how many you can visualize at a time (on a contextual menu in a 750p screen, not many...), so the scroll time is AT LEAST identical if not longer.

Phone (0.5 sec delay) --> Favorites tab (0.5 sec delay) --> Scan through the list (let's say 5 sec) --> press it = 6 sec

Force touch phone --> Scan through the list (5 sec) (oh, and what if it ISN'T in your favourites/most called?) --> call = 5 sec

5 - 6 = 1 sec spared.

Tell me how different is the scaling of an iPhone and lets say the Z5 with 4K screen. Exactly the same. Scaling's pretty much same in all phones unless of course you're talking about screen sizes which you're not.

Second, Favorites tab isn't a list of all your contacts to scroll through, maybe some people might have but that defeats the purpose if i have to look through it. Force touching on the phone app shows you most contacted 4-5 contacts, like your close relations. And when you put it that way it makes a whole lot difference which can't be explained on paper obviously.

Wow. Much improvement. Very worth 400$.

Okay, so Galaxy S6 - Better design and usual internal upgrades but also have significant downgrades (SD card)

LG G4 - Very slightly curved, usual internal upgrades

HTC M9 - Same 3 year old design (IMO actually worse than M7)

OnePlus Two - Same design, usual internal upgrades, fingerprint sensor (obviously copied)

Note 5 - Internal upgrades, better design and a flawed pen

Sony Xperia Z5 - Same ancient design, and a completely useless 4K screen

iPhone 6S - Same design (albeit much much stronger), internal upgrades and 3D Touch!

Now which manufacture has brought something new to the table?

Now which manufacture has brought something new to the table?

None of them have, and I never claimed they did. What matters here is the price delta. The s6 is also too expensive in my opinion - although for the price you definitely get more in a lot of ways. When you look at something like the oneplus two or even the oneplus one, what point is there is paying twice as much for an iphone? Besides this was originally a discussion on the ipad pro. We were also discussing on wether the pressure sensitive screen was anything more than a right click - and assuming what they claim about the 3 levels is true and actually perceptible, then fair enough, it's 3 buttons in one. I still don't see it as anything particularly useful or revolutionary, and since that was the main point the other guy was bringing up to defend the device I also insisted on the fact that it doesn't justify a significantly higher price than something like a surface pro in any way, especially when the rest of the specs and functionality are markedly inferior.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Its not re-inventing the market any more however-its just copying.

yup

Samsung has had their Note linup for years now... which is exactly what this Ipad is... a glorified Galaxy Note....

Honestly though, having owned the old 10.1 Note tab myself..... unless apple offers free auto cad and free office (permanently free), then nope, their tab wont even be good for amateur usage...

None of them have, and I never claimed they did. What matters here is the price delta. The s6 is also too expensive in my opinion - although for the price you definitely get more in a lot of ways. When you look at something like the oneplus two or even the oneplus one, what point is there is paying twice as much for an iphone? Besides this was originally a discussion on the ipad pro. We were also discussing on wether the pressure sensitive screen was anything more than a right click - and assuming what they claim about the 3 levels is true and actually perceptible, then fair enough, it's 3 buttons in one. I still don't see it as anything particularly useful or revolutionary, and since that was the main point the other guy was bringing up to defend the device I also insisted on the fact that it doesn't justify a significantly higher price than something like a surface pro in any way,T especially when the rest of the specs and functionality are markedly inferior.

Support is a big factor in the cost. OP has terrible support from everyone I've heard who has a OPO and had an issue with it. Meanwhile, Apple is one of the few support teams I don't mind calling. 

Anyone, the OPO/T are great phones for great prices, there's no denying that. But they also can't/don't produce in a large enough quantity, plus they're not supported on all networks (at least the OPO isn't). 

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying phones aren't overpriced -- they certainly are, there's a reason why Apple is one of the most valuable companies in the world. However, Apple at least maintains there prices whereas Samsung/HTC/other drop the value of all their phones on a daily basis. I can still easily get $300 from my 64gb 5s  (and I could probably manage around $350 if I were to sell it on craigslist) -- a two year old device, that's pretty hard to do on most android phones. Last year when I listed my (unlocked) 5s on craigslist I had multiple $400 offers, but ended up choosing not to sell it, meaning that $450-500 would probably have been doable. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Support is a big factor in the cost. OP has terrible support from everyone I've heard who has a OPO and had an issue with it. Meanwhile, Apple is one of the few support teams I don't mind calling. 

Anyone, the OPO/T are great phones for great prices, there's no denying that. But they also can't/don't produce in a large enough quantity, plus they're not supported on all networks (at least the OPO isn't). 

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying phones aren't overpriced -- they certianly are, there's a reason why Apple is one of the most valuable companies in the world. However, Apple at least maintains there prices whereas Samsung/HTC/other drop the value of all their phones on a daily basis. I can still easily get $300 from my 64gb 5s -- a two year old device, that's pretty hard to do on most android phones. 

there's that, and there's the fact that you could quite literally buy another oneplus phone and have spent less than you would have on a iphone. Besides it's just an example, there are plenty of good phones around that price depending on what you need (for example the zenfone 2 - which has some issues and yet offers some things that are completely unique to those who can appreciate it, or the huawei p8, and more) that don't suffer from being by a very small manufacturer.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

there's that, and there's the fact that you could quite literally buy another oneplus phone and have spent less than you would have on a iphone. Besides it's just an example, there are plenty of good phones around that price depending on what you need (for example the zenfone 2 - which has some issues and yet offers some things that are completely unique to those who can appreciate it, or the huawei p8, and more) that don't suffer from being by a very small manufacturer.

Isn't Huawei a secondary crappy Chinese brand? and isn't the Zenfone 2 kind of junky (meh camera/display/build quality)?

Now you're starting to get into another topic altogether -- whether or not flagships make sense....and the answer is, almost always (for most smartphone users), no. Flagships usually carry a substantial price premium even over the previous year's flagship and/or over lower end models yet don't really offer all that much that the average consumer needs -- i.e. faster CPUs in phones really haven't been necessary for the average consumer for quite some time now. So, I don't think it's entirely fair to compare an iPhone 6s/Galaxy S6/HTC One M9/whatever other flagships are roaming around to non-flagship devices. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Isn't Huawei a secondary crappy Chinese brand? and isn't the Zenfone 2 kind of junky (meh camera/display/build quality)?

Now you're starting to get into another topic altogether -- whether or not flagships make sense....and the answer is, almost always (for most smartphone users), no. Flagships usually carry a substantial price premium even over the previous year's flagship and/or over lower end models yet don't really offer all that much that the average consumer needs -- i.e. faster CPUs in phones really haven't been necessary for the average consumer for quite some time now. So, I don't really think it's fair to compare an iPhone 6s/Galaxy S6/HTC One M9/whatever other flagships are roaming around to non-flagship devices. 

Huawei is a perfectly reasonable manufacturer afaik - I know plenty of people with their phones and they have no complaints. As for the zenfone 2, the build quality is good, the camera frankly doesn't matter (and it's fine for a phone); the display is not as good as others but it's still a 1080p ips panel, there's a limit to how bad it can be - on the other hand it comes with dual sim, expandable storage, a powerhouse -relatively speaking- atom cpu that allows you to run windows 7 in a vm and 4gb of ram. The battery life is not great from what I heard but it appears to be a problem with android - using a custom rom should fix that.

I do think it's fair to compare so-called flagships to what you can get for a lot cheaper - as you said, they simply don't make sense, and I think it's right to call them out for it. What we should really be seeing are mid-priced phones that have maybe "last-gen" features and power but premium build quality and screens - but as long as the consumers are willing to pay a ridiculous price for that it will never happen.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

who in the world cares how much ram it has if the software and apps runs perfect on it? who?