[Mini-News] Apple iPhone 6s and iPad Pro RAM specs

TroubleKlef

Huawei is a perfectly reasonable manufacturer afaik - I know plenty of people with their phones and they have no complaints. As for the zenfone 2, the build quality is good, the camera frankly doesn't matter (and it's fine for a phone); the display is not as good as others but it's still a 1080p ips panel, there's a limit to how bad it can be - on the other hand it comes with dual sim, expandable storage, a powerhouse -relatively speaking- atom cpu that allows you to run windows 7 in a vm and 4gb of ram. The battery life is not great from what I heard but it appears to be a problem with android - using a custom rom should fix that.

I do think it's fair to compare so-called flagships to what you can get for a lot cheaper - as you said, they simply don't make sense, and I think it's right to call them out for it. What we should really be seeing are mid-priced phones that have maybe "last-gen" features and power but premium build quality and screens - but as long as the consumers are willing to pay a ridiculous price for that it will never happen.

There really isn't much of an incentive for companies to charge less -- like you said, consumers are willing to pay, therefore introducing a mid tier device like that would just undercut flagship sales (I mean, look at Samsung, they throw everything against the wall and release dozens of devices each generation and really aren't doing amazingly well). 

And to be honest, device costs really aren't the issue (in the US anyway -- on any of the main providers -- Verizon, ATT, Sprint, TMobile), it's the plans that make up the majority of the cost -- I'm on Verizon now, and it's like $105/month for service for three lines + $35/month (for my 64gb 6s plus) + $0/month for the other smartphone since that device was paid off two years ago. That works out to something like $3500 over a two year period for two smartphones and one basic phone (where one of the smartphones is already owned). AND, that's down from like $3800~ before Verizon switched to their current plan scheme. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

There really isn't much of an incentive for companies to charge less -- like you said, consumers are willing to pay, therefore introducing a mid tier device like that would just undercut flagship sales (I mean, look at Samsung, they throw everything against the wall and release dozens of devices each generation and really aren't doing amazingly well). 

And to be honest, device costs really aren't the issue (in the US anyway -- on any of the main providers -- Verizon, ATT, Sprint, TMobile), it's the plans that make up the majority of the cost -- I'm on Verizon now, and it's like $105/month for service for three lines + $35/month (for my 64gb 6s plus) + $0/month for the other smartphone since that device was paid off two years ago. That works out to something like $3500 over a two year period for two smartphones and one basic phone (where one of the smartphones is already owned). AND, that's down from like $3800~ before Verizon switched to their current plan scheme. 

Yeah, where I live carrier deals don't work out in the same way. It's a better idea to just purchase the phone separately.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Huawei is a perfectly reasonable manufacturer afaik

you mean this wanna be iOS huawei? 

this is what happens when the non existing developers from huawei get its hand on new technologies. i mean wtf is that? force touch,SPECS octo deca cores 100gb ram and you make this. couse who needs a good software optimisation right? this makes me quit android. 

also this debate about the the new ipad pro vs surface pro. surface pro is windows.windows sucks big time for mobile use

also this debate about the the new ipad pro vs surface pro. surface pro is windows.windows sucks big time for mobile use

except this is being marketed to professionals and 13" are hardly "mobile"... 

-edit-

btw I don't see what is wrong with the phone in the video... aside from a couple of functions that don't work yet because it's a pre-release prototype...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Its nice to see someone who remains sane against all odds.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I guess that depends how you define mobile -- I personally don't find a 10" tablet much easier to carry around than a 15" laptop -- hence why I personally don't like the idea of a tablet (for myself). Meanwhile my dad complains about having to carry around a 13" rMBP and just wants to bring a tablet (on vacations).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It's natural to question Apple's endeavors as they're one of the few companies who try to reinvent the market. People scoffed at the idea of the original iPad calling it a glorified iPhone but it reinvented how we see tablets today. I am hesitant to call the iPad Pro a home run but I've learned to stop discrediting Apple products before they hit shelves.

Clearly you haven't seen the Apple Watch..

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Clearly you haven't seen the Apple Watch..

How many people have an apple watch exactly? 

How many people bought the first gen iPhone? It's a new market and not a fully polished device. Give it a bit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

How many people have an apple watch exactly? 

How many people bought the first gen iPhone? It's a new market and not a fully polished device. Give it a bit. 

Doesn't change the fact that is it a terrible piece of hardware. I do own a Macbook pro and an iPhone 4s (used as an ipod), so i'm not bias, it's just facts.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Doesn't change the fact that is it a terrible piece of hardware. I do own a Macbook pro and an iPhone 4s (used as an ipod), so i'm not bias, it's just facts.

It's not really worse than any other smart watch, and like all others it has some things which need to be worked out -- like battery life and an always on or less obnoxious flip on. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's not really worse than any other smart watch, and like all others it has some things which need to be worked out -- like battery life and an always on or less obnoxious flip on. 

Oh Apple watch bugs, someone missed you.....

PMSL

Support is a big factor in the cost. OP has terrible support from everyone I've heard who has a OPO and had an issue with it. Meanwhile, Apple is one of the few support teams I don't mind calling. 

Anyone, the OPO/T are great phones for great prices, there's no denying that. But they also can't/don't produce in a large enough quantity, plus they're not supported on all networks (at least the OPO isn't). 

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying phones aren't overpriced -- they certainly are, there's a reason why Apple is one of the most valuable companies in the world. However, Apple at least maintains there prices whereas Samsung/HTC/other drop the value of all their phones on a daily basis. I can still easily get $300 from my 64gb 5s  (and I could probably manage around $350 if I were to sell it on craigslist) -- a two year old device, that's pretty hard to do on most android phones. Last year when I listed my (unlocked) 5s on craigslist I had multiple $400 offers, but ended up choosing not to sell it, meaning that $450-500 would probably have been doable. 

Glad to finally see some common sense and reasoning with 2 very good points. I prefer the buy it once than buy it twice.

Also depreciation is a huge thing. My iPhone 5 still holds around $200 in value while the equivalent Samsung phone of 2012 (the S3) is selling for $85. (checked both my local craigslist and ebay).

EDIT: I guess a better way would to find a 3rd party site that buys smartphones. Let me check those prices.

Using Best Buy's trade in program

iPhone 5 (released in 2012) 16gb white verizon: $105

iPhone 5s (released in 2013) 16gb white verizon: $200

Galaxy S3 (released in 2012) 16gb white verizon: $40

Galaxy S4 (released in 2013) (storage not specified) white verizon: $78

Of course you lose a lot of value when trading it into the store rather than selling it on Craigslist/eBay which results in the price discrepancies there.

None of them have, and I never claimed they did. What matters here is the price delta. The s6 is also too expensive in my opinion - although for the price you definitely get more in a lot of ways. When you look at something like the oneplus two or even the oneplus one, what point is there is paying twice as much for an iphone? Besides this was originally a discussion on the ipad pro. We were also discussing on wether the pressure sensitive screen was anything more than a right click - and assuming what they claim about the 3 levels is true and actually perceptible, then fair enough, it's 3 buttons in one. I still don't see it as anything particularly useful or revolutionary, and since that was the main point the other guy was bringing up to defend the device I also insisted on the fact that it doesn't justify a significantly higher price than something like a surface pro in any way, especially when the rest of the specs and functionality are markedly inferior.

ha lol I'm the same guy, just changed my profile picture. I'd love to imagine the kind of reply if you'd have known its me

The only phone that hasn't started at iPhones price is the OnePlus Two, while others have all started at almost iPhones price.

Another thing, iPhones last way longer than most phones. My old 4S is still running great while phones of that time Galaxy S2 is not even seen anywhere and that itself is worth a $100 premium for most people and not to mention software support which is outstanding. 

Same goes for the iPad and I've seen some people complaining on the forum how bad the SP2 and SP3 performs in Windows 10 even though Windows 10 isn't any heavier than Windows 8 in any way, not to mention that specs like the Core i5 should lasts really long

Another thing, iPhones last way longer than most phones. My old 4S is still running great while phones of that time Galaxy S2 is not even seen anywhere and that itself is worth a $100 premium for most people

The only problem with that is that, at least in the US, is that it has become engrained within our minds to upgrade every two years -- regardless of whether or not it's needed. This stems from the days before smartphones when you would be eligible for a free upgrade every two years if you would renew your contract. Fast forward to today and people are still used to upgrading every two years, however, now, most phones aren't free on an upgrade unless they're at least one to two generations old. So while the costs of subsidized phones has risen (from free) people have become used to upgrading on a regular basis, and thus they continue to upgrade whenever they become eligible (even if there is absolutely no point).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The only problem with that is that, at least in the US, is that it has become engrained within our minds to upgrade every two years -- regardless of whether or not it's needed. This stems from the days before smartphones when you would be eligible for a free upgrade every two years if you would renew your contract. Fast forward to today and people are still used to upgrading every two years, however, now, most phones aren't free on an upgrade unless they're at least one to two generations old. So while the costs of subsidized phones has risen (from free) people have become used to upgrading on a regular basis, and thus they continue to upgrade whenever they become eligible (even if there is absolutely no point).

That's their fault. They have money and no one can restrict them to spend judiciously.

When we're talking about a $100 premium, we're talking about people who are conscious about every penny they spend especially in other countries where even if their phone about to break in half, they still keep using it. So if you look at it that way a $100 extra iPhone lasts much much longer than any other regular phone high end android phone. Not that other phones don't work but they just don't as well as iPhones do in my experience

As I said before I have a 4S which is a bit slow then used to but usable for a pretty long time while the S4 (equivalent 5S) is really struggling these days in terms of both performance and battery. 

-snip-

arrr did your little game make you mad :angry:?  and im a jackass.  your a but hurt hate boy with no clue on what your talking about, deal with it

*updates ignore list*

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Could we stay on topic and not have this discussion in every fucking Apple thread ever? Thanks

I agree but I'd like to point out that you should quote the person who started it by claiming they were

arrr did your little game make you mad :angry:?  and im a jackass.  your a but hurt hate boy with no clue on what your talking about, deal with it

*updates ignore list*

This is for everyone else:

1. Lol, I'm not buthurt in any way. I've used facts at every turn while others have not

2. Those who call someone using facts a fanboy are being the very thing they dislike

3. The only person so far that I've referred to as a jackass recently has been the person from Asus's support that I was dealing with.

4. And that is the classic sign of someone trying to ignore the truth-by 'running' from it

PMSL

ha lol I'm the same guy, just changed my profile picture. I'd love to imagine the kind of reply if you'd have known its me

The only phone that hasn't started at iPhones price is the OnePlus Two, while others have all started at almost iPhones price.

Another thing, iPhones last way longer than most phones. My old 4S is still running great while phones of that time Galaxy S2 is not even seen anywhere and that itself is worth a $100 premium for most people and not to mention software support which is outstanding. 

Same goes for the iPad and I've seen some people complaining on the forum how bad the SP2 and SP3 performs in Windows 10 even though Windows 10 isn't any heavier than Windows 8 in any way, not to mention that specs like the Core i5 should lasts really long

My reply would have been the same, I just wouldn't have bothered explaining what we were talking about...

We're not talking a 100$ premium, but a 400$ one. It is simply not true that the oneplus two is the only phone that is a lot cheaper than the iphone, there are hundreds that are, and informing yourself a little before throwing around that kind of claim wouldn't hurt.

As for people complaining about the surface pro, there are people complaining about ipads as well. People come here with their problems, of course we attract the worst experiences on all sides. Doesn't change the fact that the ipad/pro's functionality is not even close to that of a cheaper surface pro. If you want a 1000$ cool-looking toy, be my guest. If you want to get anything serious done, it is simply a terrible choice.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My reply would have been the same, I just wouldn't have bothered explaining what we were talking about...

We're not talking a 100$ premium, but a 400$ one. It is simply not true that the oneplus two is the only phone that is a lot cheaper than the iphone, there are hundreds that are, and informing yourself a little before throwing around that kind of claim wouldn't hurt.

As for people complaining about the surface pro, there are people complaining about ipads as well. People come here with their problems, of course we attract the worst experiences on all sides. Doesn't change the fact that the ipad/pro's functionality is not even close to that of a cheaper surface pro. If you want a 1000$ cool-looking toy, be my guest. If you want to get anything serious done, it is simply a terrible choice.

Apple fans don't seem to get that Apple's devices aren't as practical as they think they are.

http://www.collegehumor.com.au/video/6992106/if-iphone-6-were-actually-better/

Funny videos with shitloads of valid points/digs at Apple

PMSL

All phones which are widely available and common among the public are around $600-$700 range. OnePlus is a chinese company and they get a lot of incentives from their government and doesn't have to pay overhead taxes and whatnot like every other company. Same with every other very cheap chinese flagship phones

But none of those phones can come to close reliability and support like others hence why I completely ignore that category. If OnePlus manages to make it available worldwide, with a lot of inventory then we'll talk about the price 

I'm talking about a widespread problem not a specific problem. Microsoft hasn't managed to fix it up yet and that's the problem. In fact Windows 10 is a very incomplete state right now and their excuse is they'll upgrade over time which is just an excuse for being lazy. There are for some reason 4 different kinds of contextual menus that makes no sense. Anyway windows 10 aside

Another thing, I never justified the iPad Pro's price (all those price references are about iPhones), in fact i didn't even mention anything about it in the first place. All I did was give my hypotheses of what apple might be doing and this is just the groundwork. It's a powerful device and only the OS slightly restricts it which can be fixed with a next update. But you don't realize that? It's not even released yet so keep you judgments to yourself until it actually comes out and is in the market for a while

Don't you remember the pre school quote 'Don't judge a book by it's cover"

All phones which are widely available and common among the public are around $600-$700 range. OnePlus is a chinese company and they get a lot of incentives from their government and doesn't have to pay overhead taxes and whatnot like every other company. Same with every other very cheap chinese flagship phones

But none of those phones can come to close reliability and support like others hence why I completely ignore that category. If OnePlus manages to make it available worldwide, with a lot of inventory then we'll talk about the price 

I'm talking about a widespread problem not a specific problem. Microsoft hasn't managed to fix it up yet and that's the problem. In fact Windows 10 is a very incomplete state right now and their excuse is they'll upgrade over time which is just an excuse for being lazy. There are for some reason 4 different kinds of contextual menus that makes no sense. Anyway windows 10 aside

Another thing, I never justified the iPad Pro's price (all those price references are about iPhones), in fact i didn't even mention anything about it in the first place. All I did was give my hypotheses of what apple might be doing and this is just the groundwork. It's a powerful device and only the OS slightly restricts it which can be fixed with a next update. But you don't realize that? It's not even released yet so keep you judgments to yourself until it actually comes out and is in the market for a while

Don't you remember the pre school quote 'Don't judge a book by it's cover"

The first point is a lie, period. There are a lot of cheap phones that are widely available to the public. zenfone 2, huawei p8, nexus 5 are just a few examples. The taxes argument is also wrong, because apple has 80% of the mobile market's profits with only 20% of the marketshare, which is EVIDENCE of them charging multiple times what they paid - taxes don't do that.

The second point is also uninformed or a lie. Oneplus is just one company, there are plenty others and I would bet you have no experience with the vast majority of them.

Windows 10 is not particularly incomplete, the fact is that the install base grew extremely fast on widely different devices as a result of it being a free upgrade. There are BOUND to be a lot of people getting problems after something like that. Those who know what they're doing mostly had no problems or solved the ones they had with a clean install.

Then why are you here arguing with me? I said clearly that I think the ipad pro is a product that makes no sense for the price and is a good choice for nobody. You then proceded on defending it. If you agree with me, what are you here to say? Of course if it were 300$ then it would be a nice tablet option, I don't dispute that. I simply think it's garbage for the price, and I have facts to support that.

The OS cannot be "tweaked" so solve the inherent problems it has from a productivity standpoint for two reasons. 1) it would mean redesigning the gui from the ground up and 2) an arm-based cpu is simply not as good as x86 for this sort of tasks. If they get a core i5 in there and a touch-optimized version of mac os on it, then we can talk tweaks - although the lack of ports would quite possibly still cripple it.

Judge a book by its cover? Excuse me, who here has brought up the looks? Because it wasn't me. I know exactly what is inside that book and if it solved my gripes but looked like garbage I'd prefer it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The first point is a lie, period. There are a lot of cheap phones that are widely available to the public. zenfone 2, huawei p8, nexus 5 are just a few examples. The taxes argument is also wrong, because apple has 80% of the mobile market's profits with only 20% of the marketshare, which is EVIDENCE of them charging multiple times what they paid - taxes don't do that.

The second point is also uninformed or a lie. Oneplus is just one company, there are plenty others and I would bet you have no experience with the vast majority of them.

Windows 10 is not particularly incomplete, the fact is that the install base grew extremely fast on widely different devices as a result of it being a free upgrade. There are BOUND to be a lot of people getting problems after something like that. Those who know what they're doing mostly had no problems or solved the ones they had with a clean install.

Then why are you here arguing with me? I said clearly that I think the ipad pro is a product that makes no sense for the price and is a good choice for nobody. You then proceded on defending it. If you agree with me, what are you here to say? Of course if it were 300$ then it would be a nice tablet option, I don't dispute that. I simply think it's garbage for the price, and I have facts to support that.

The OS cannot be "tweaked" so solve the inherent problems it has from a productivity standpoint for two reasons. 1) it would mean redesigning the gui from the ground up and 2) an arm-based cpu is simply not as good as x86 for this sort of tasks. If they get a core i5 in there and a touch-optimized version of mac os on it, then we can talk tweaks - although the lack of ports would quite possibly still cripple it.

Judge a book by its cover? Excuse me, who here has brought up the looks? Because it wasn't me. I know exactly what is inside that book and if it solved my gripes but looked like garbage I'd prefer it.

Shhh....I think he's offended by those who aren't fellow iSheep.

PMSL

arguing looks = subjective

arguing specs = objective

don't blurr the lines. for some reason, when it is Apple we discuss specs of, people bring their feelings into it.

keep your feelings out of objective discussions for the love of god.

@RedRound2

55301612.jpg

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"