Which R9 390?

Go to solution Solved by Kinda Bottlenecked,

Msi - better overclocking & silence. Not the best cooling on the core.

Sapphire - better cooling. Average overclocking.

So, I've £300 to spend on a GPU and have decided to go with a 390 because reasons, it's not up for debate. Not what this topic's about.

What this topic is about, as stated by the title, is which r9 390 to get.

Before people ask:

• I've not got any space constraints, as my case is a corsair 650D (and even if it would hit one of the HDD bays, I've only got one in)
  • My CPU's more than adequate (4790K)
  • I've enough power for the card (750W EVGA B2)
  • My build's predominantly red and black (got an MSI Z97-G45 and my RAM is red corsair vengeance pro) - so there's no outruling of the MSI card due to its colour scheme

This leaves the deciding factors down to: Noise, thermals, overclocking capability and aesthetics.

I'm currently torn between the sapphire nitro and the MSI twin frozr V. I can get both for the same price.

The sapphire card seems to have better cooling performance, and the MSI card certainly looks nicer having a backplate. 

This leaves overclocking capability and noise. Not sure how they stack up against each other in this though, my google-fu skills are inadequate to find a review of both cards in comparison nor even from the same reviewer.

Help!

Meow meow meow meow hiss meow purr.

Translation: what am I doing here?

Any Sapphire one

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

There aren't any bad brands, I'd just go for the best looking. I went with 2x MSI r9 380 gaming cards, and they look absolutely stunning in my red/black build.

MSI Gaming.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

MSI has higher clock speeds out of the box, Sapphire runs cooler and quieter. Both are great cards.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

How are customer services with MSI and sapphire? Any discrimination between the two to be made there perhaps? I reckon this might be my deciding factor.

Atm it's leaning towards the sapphire card if it runs cooler and quieter, as Pandalf said, and I could probably get away with OCing to meet the MSI card easy.

But then, that backplate just looks nice.

Grrr, why do aesthetics bother me so much?

nitro

Any Sapphire one

sapphire ez

MSI Gaming.

Thanks for all the raisins guys 10/10 keep it up.

and we said sapphire (the majority)

Ye, you said sapphire. Literally just sapphire. You gave no reason. Someone could do exactly the same thing and say "MSI"...

Get the shiniest juan!

top kek 

Ye, you said sapphire. Literally just sapphire. You gave no reason. Someone could do exactly the same thing and say "MSI"...

"factors down to: Noise, thermals, overclocking capability and aesthetics."

And we said sapphire is the best for those factors

Edited by Godlygamer23

And we said sapphire is the best for those factors

now you did, before you just said:

nitro

how am I supposed to know which reasons, if any? For all I know you could be saying it for any number of reasons I hadn't considered!

now you did, before you just said:

how am I supposed to know which reasons, if any? For all I know you could be saying it for any number of reasons I hadn't considered!

Everyone who just answered with one word IS SAYING

That THAT SPECIFIC BRAND is the best FOR YOUR FACTORS

So we DID answer your question

OK LET ME TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS TO HELP ME GET MY POINT ACROSS BECAUSE THAT WORKS

I asked what cake'd be best for me and specified what I'd like in a cake.

You said cake x.

I don't know why cake x would be best. Some of the things I'd want in a cake could be weighted.

e.g. cake x could not be good at factor z, but great at factor y.

I might not value factor y so much but more so factor z, so I might not want cake x! There might be a better, more preferable cakes, for reasons unspecified because there's thousands of things you could want in a cake and it'd take me years to list all of them!

ARE YOU BEGINNING TO UNDERSTAND? I DON'T LIKE TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS IT'S REALLY CRINGEY PLEASE TELL ME YES.

Pushing the train of constructive conversation back onto the rails, how are sapphire and MSI's customer services? 

As I said earlier, I reckon this could be a deciding factor considering the general consensus is that the sapphire's quieter, cooler and would supposedly probably overclock better, but the MSI card IMO looks better aesthetically and isn't far behind. The sapphire card's defo atop atm but I'm still on the fence, the difference isn't enough to push me off either way,

Pushing the train of constructive conversation back onto the rails, how are sapphire and MSI's customer services? 

As I said earlier, I reckon this could be a deciding factor considering the general consensus is that the sapphire's quieter, cooler and would supposedly probably overclock better, but the MSI card IMO looks better aesthetically and isn't far behind. The sapphire card's defo atop atm but I'm still on the fence, the difference isn't enough to push me off either way,

I know nothing about AMD cards or MSI really, but I have always heard people say that Sapphire is the best AMD card maker.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Aye, same. Heard sapphire cards are good before too (clearly above too, lol). They've defo got a good rep.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_390X_Gaming/

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Sapphire-Nitro-Radeon-R9-390-8GB-Review

Personally I'd go with the Sapphire because it looks better, and because I would think having more fans and a larger surface area would make it run cooler. I see nothing about temperatures for the sapphire 390 on Techpowerup.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Personally I'd go with the Sapphire because it looks better...

Get the shiniest juan!

Case closed.

Case closed.

haha ye it's the nicest looking one, if you look at your case upside down or like bare PCB.

Another thing I didn't consider is that I have two DVI monitors. I could just order a HDMI to DVI adapter too though, so it's no biggie. 

Trying to look into their customer services rep first though. Would rather grab it from a company that's nice when it comes to DOA cards and such. £265's still a decent amount of money and I don't want stress over it like that, I could buy so many slurms instead...

Unless someone comes in and screams about MSI's customer service as being akin to the treatment you get from buying a gold apple watch, or sapphire's customer services being like being strapped into a chair and forced to listen to fingernails on chalkboard for five hours, within the next 20 hours or so, sapphire it is.