'molecules' made of light

jos

150910141238_1_540x360.jpg

It's not lightsaber time, not yet. But a team including theoretical physicists from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has taken another step toward building objects out of photons, and the findings hint that weightless particles of light can be joined into a sort of "molecule" with its own peculiar force.  We're learning how to build complex states of light that, in turn, can be built into more complex objects. This is the first time anyone has shown how to bind two photons a finite distance apart. 

engineers need a way to precisely calibrate light sensors, and Gorshkov says the findings could make it far easier to create a "standard candle" that shines a precise number of photons at a detector. Perhaps more significant to industry, binding and entangling photons could allow computers to use photons as information processors, a job that electronic switches in your computer do today.

Hope it wont be something that will never see the day of light

liking this because of the subject matter. no pun intended. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

When can we have holograms?

please?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Pretty cool. At the rate technology is advancing, this should be a thing before dinnertime.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Nice. Always awesome to see tech based on light. :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Idk if the materials are made of photons themselves, but technically everything is composed of energy. Photons (light and other electromagnetic waves) being one of them, baryons (most matter, but not electrons) being another.

Idk if the materials are made of photons themselves, but technically everything is composed of energy. Photons (light and other electromagnetic waves) being one of them, baryons (most matter, but not electrons) being another.

https://youtu.be/qHrtA8Pab-s

It's one thing to bind 2 photons together, it's another thing entirely to get photons to stop moving around at the speed of light.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

liking this because of the subject matter. no pun intended.

Light isn't matter.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

It's one thing to bind 2 photons together, it's another thing entirely to get photons to stop moving around at the speed of light.

Its been done before. They have stopped light in a crystal for a fraction of a second before.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Light isn't matter.

if light is both particle and a wave, isn't particle a matter ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

if light is both particle and a wave, isn't particle a matter ?

No, light is an energy. Matter is something that has mass, and takes up space. Light does neither.

No, light is an energy. Matter is something that has mass, and takes up space. Light does neither.

still can't understand how shadow has a mass but not the light. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Its been done before. They have stopped light in a crystal for a fraction of a second before.

Would like to see the link to that article. Or this is a seriously misrepresented case of light refraction.

On the other hand, the light would have to convert itself into another form of energy. I wouldn't know which form though (excluding electron excitation/kinetic energy - that's how colour and refraction works) and how it would fit back into the crystal. It would then rapidly decay back into photons and continue its business..

Would like to see the link to that article. Or this is a seriously misrepresented case of light refraction.

On the other hand, the light would have to convert itself into another form of energy. I wouldn't know which form though (excluding electron excitation/kinetic energy - that's how colour and refraction works) and how it would fit back into the crystal. It would then rapidly decay back into photons and continue its business..

I was wrong. It was a full minute. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2380028/Scientists-stop-light-completely-record-breaking-MINUTE-trapping-inside-crystal.html

still can't understand how shadow has a mass but not the light.

A shadow doesn't have mass. A shadow is the abscence of light. Shadows aren't matter either.

Light beam guns yes, lightsabers are overrated 

c8770eaf845d6452c9e262d1870bfddd.jpg

Your argument is moot.

(sorry my brain is fried i cant speak about the science of this now, but feel free to mention me if you dont get anyhting and ill come back later)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

A shadow doesn't have mass. A shadow is the abscence of light. Shadows aren't matter either.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Awesome! :D and eventually it will be lightsaber time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Im aware of that video. I figured that's what you were referencing as well. Weight and mass are different. Mass is the amount if matter. Shadows aren't matter. However, light does have a very very minuscule amount if force. The lack of light means shadows would make you weigh "less" than if there were not shadow. Please pay attention to the video. No where does it say shadows have mass.

Im aware of that video. I figured that's what you were referencing as well. Weight and mass are different. Mass is the amount if matter. Shadows aren't matter. However, light does have a very very minuscule amount if force. The lack of light means shadows would make you weigh "less" than if there were not shadow. Please pay attention to the video. No where does it say shadows have mass.

I don't like how he is saying light "pushes a little bit" on things to make stuff happen. It doesn't.

It causes/forces electrons to be ejected from the surface light comes in contact with. Although NOT always like in the case of the light not being above the threshold of required energy to make the electrons fly off the surface of whatever the light is hitting. So technically however many electrons are removed from the surface would indicate a mass reduction of that surface material. If anything it would weigh less!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

thanks for the response, i was just trying to prove my interpretation of pun was right. and yeah, i know light does not have matter, most of the people wont go further with this topic, unless they do like you did. :D

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

molecules cannot be made out of mass-less particles such as light

furthermore mass-less particles 100% of the time move and move at the mathematical speed limit of the universe, or "speed of light"

c8770eaf845d6452c9e262d1870bfddd.jpg

Your argument is moot.

(sorry my brain is fried i cant speak about the science of this now, but feel free to mention me if you dont get anyhting and ill come back later)

Unless you also have 'the force' with you lightsabers are useless.And stop acting like a kid. Weapons are used for killing, usually in war, there is no elegancy in war.Obi-wanker or not.