anti-aliasing does it mather much?

H4RDW4R3

more on lower I hear, but haven't fully experienced using it.

have experienced NOT using it and I can say.. you see jagged edges (in 1080p 24" Skyrim)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

teh higher you go the less, but i'v never actuality seen it, so yeah :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

It matters less on higher resolutions as it gets harder to make out the jagged pixel borders the smaller they get.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i

anti aliasing is eye candy for slower paced games, allowing you to "enjoy the view" without square edges.

when you're playing CS:GO you REALLY dont notice it, because stuff goes too fast to look at individual pixels.

its more so a thing that you enable when theres plenty of GPU horses anyways.

It's more useful at lower resolutions but the lower the resolution is, the less anti-aliasing you need.

pretty sure you mean the higher the resolution, the less AA.

pretty sure you mean the higher the resolution, the less AA.

There's kind of a goldilocks zone for AA. At 800x600 high amounts of AA are useless as hell, while at 1920x1080 high amounts of AA can become useless. I consider 1366x768 to be the sweet spot for AA.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Not really, I normally run FXAA if the jaggies are bothering me though.  It's not the most effective AA but it doesn't tax your system that much more than none at all.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

DSR is anti-aliasing.

I suspected OP meant the normal AA settings like FXAA, MSAA .etc.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

There's kind of a goldilocks zone for AA. At 800x600 high amounts of AA are useless as hell, while at 1920x1080 high amounts of AA can become useless. I consider 1366x768 to be the sweet spot for AA.

AA is still super usefull at 1080p, now 1440p and 2160p is a different thing altogether.

To be specific.

Proper AA (so not FXAA) helps more on low Pixels Per inch (PPI) displays, regardless of resolution.

A 42" 1080p screen (TV) will need 8x or higher AA

A 24" 1080p display (monitor) may only need 4x

The higher your VDU's PPI, the less AA you will need so long as ur running the game at native resolutions.

As people have stated, 1440p doesn't require as much AA as 1080p, that's correct so long as the screen size is the same.

4k (2160p) will still need AA when its on a larger sized screen like 40" for example as the PPI is around 110, similar to that of a 27" 1440p screen.

DSR is effectively doing the same thing in terms of results, but it is NOT AA. Its simply rendering the image at a higher resolution and downsampling to your native resolution. Again it is NOT AA. AA exists so that you don't have to use downsampling, as downsampling is a massive performance hog due to rendering the entire image.

Some games are just better to use downsampling/DSR with. For example, Diablo 3 isn't that intensive graphically, the games own AA is shit (FXAA I believe), so I use DSR at 4k, that removes ALL aliasing. Other games though, like Crysis 3, yea don't bother trying 4k DSR with max ingame settings unless u have like 2 or 3 980ti's, ur better of using the games MSAA.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I disagree. 1080p AA is a must have. And who the hell game on 800x600? That´s stoneage. Everything below 1080p is unacceptable.

On 1440p you still need it in Games like GTA5 or Witcher3.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I disagree. 1080p AA is a must have. And who the hell game on 800x600? That´s stoneage. Everything below 1080p is unacceptable.

On 1440p you still need it in Games like GTA5 or Witcher3.

I disagree with the bolded statement.

You've never seen anyone play games on a laptop, haven't you?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

If the viewing distance is the same.

Proper AA (so not FXAA) helps more on low Pixels Per inch (PPI) displays, regardless of resolution.

Yeah this is basically the answer

... this is just an ass pull, there no specific rules for AA, you never need AA, its just a plus when you can enable it without hurting your framerate. Personally i almost never use AA as i would rather have crisper image and higher framerate, even FXAA costs about 3FPS in stuff like AC Unity or Witcher or GTA V, and i don't think thats worth it

DSR is effectively doing the same thing in terms of results, but it is NOT AA. Its simply rendering the image at a higher resolution and downsampling to your native resolution. Again it is NOT AA. AA exists so that you don't have to use downsampling, as downsampling is a massive performance hog due to rendering the entire image.

What is SSAA

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Depends on the game, I don't even run AA or any other fancy stuff in CSGO.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

I play on a 27" 1440p screen and in most cases I prefer to leave aa off.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Yes, it matters and it can completely destroy the visuals of games if it's missing the better the visuals of the game the more important it gets.
For that reason some games on consoles like The Order 1886 go with 900p 4XMSAA instead of 1080p FXAA.
This picture shows it pretty good:
980-dsr-1.jpg
Now this happens on every single object and makes some details even completely abstract that you can't even recognize what it is.
While AA helps the best thing to fight aliasing is resolution it is pretty much the holy grail.
If there's aliasing then the resolution is simply to low.

RTX2070OC 

Yes, it matters and it can completely destroy the visuals of games if it's missing the better the visuals of the game the more important it gets.

For that reason some games on consoles like The Order 1886 go with 900p 4XMSAA instead of 1080p FXAA.

This picture shows it pretty good:

980-dsr-1.jpg

DSR is picking at straws though, how many people care for blades of grass with such low textures? more interested in concentrating on the game.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.