R9 Nano, AMD Dissapoints again

ANewFace

And this is for you my dear friend

And you know that lots of custom board partners gpus are basically already Oc'ed way past the reference point? by like 3~6 fps depending the vendor. So if you buy lets say G1 or SSC, you're already set when it comes to OC if you dont wanna try to Oc it for yourself.

Those are at around 1244 MHz. That's hardly an OC seeing as in order to do what you described, it needs 1500+

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

And this is for you my dear friend

And you know that lots of custom board partners gpus are basically already Oc'ed way past the reference point? by like 3~6 fps depending the vendor. So if you buy lets say G1 or SSC, you're already set when it comes to OC if you dont wanna try to Oc it for yourself.

I seen a Fury completely butcher a good overclocked 980 there.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Those are at around 1244 MHz. That's hardly an OC seeing as in order to do what you described, it needs 1500+

1244mhz without taking into account gpu boost? which should leave it around the 1300~1400 range, some oc and you reaching the 1500s.

I seen a Fury completely butcher a good overclocked 980 there.

Yup, the 980 aint as horrible as people paint it -.-.

1244mhz without taking into account gpu boost? which should leave it around the 1300~1400 range, some oc and you reaching the 1500s.

Yup, the 980 aint as horrible as people paint it -.-.

Really? 1400? I know usually GPU boost goes to 1300 and that's on a good day with a higher binned chip. GPU-boost is finicky and the only thing it does is successfully market the card.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Really? 1400? I know usually GPU boost goes to 1300 and that's on a good day with a higher binned chip. GPU-boost is finicky and the only thing it does is successfully market the card.

My gtx 980 at stock goes to 1455mhz.

My gtx 980 at stock goes to 1455mhz.

Congratulations on winning the silicon lottery - you may claim your prize.

Ill take a cupcake please.

Eh - I've got none - aaaand now I'm hungry and it's late ._.

Eh - I've got none - aaaand now I'm hungry and it's late ._.

Dude you started it, I was all calm watching Twitch and you mentioned a prize, my mind went straight to cupcakes and now i am hungry aswell lol...thanks.

But yeah dude, I do respect where you are standing. Yes the Nano is a great feat of engineering, should be cheaper thou. If it was around the 980 price, that will be a steal.

Anyways, yes the 980 is a beast of a card ( when you overclock it ) and if anyone of you ( peeps ) have a 980 you dont have anything to envy to the Fury lineup, you got a hell of a card already.

Dude you started it, I was all calm watching Twitch and you mentioned a prize, my mind went straight to cupcakes and now i am hungry aswell lol...thanks.

Welp - at least breakfast is tomorrow ^_^

I never mentioned price. I was talking strictly about performance and this thing fucking buries the 980. I'm using a 980 and I love it.This Nano is on another level though.

In most games, it is simply a little faster. It is an exaggeration to say it buries the 980. http://anandtech.com/show/9621/the-amd-radeon-r9-nano-review

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Crap my re-editting skills are rusty, wasnt fast enough to your quote. -.- Re-read above

And i am pretty sure those are stock/reference benchmarks ( 980 ).....once again ( Yes i am all about that OC life, its free performance ).

Yes, it is a stock 980. It should be a stock 980 - overclocking creates a non-out-of-the-box and biased experience. Not everyone overclocks, and it is not free performance. You pay for it in heat and electricity.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yes, it is a stock 980. It should be a stock 980 - overclocking creates a non-out-of-the-box and biased experience. Not everyone overclocks, and it is not free performance. You pay for it in heat and electricity.

Heat shouldnt be that much of an issue to a certain extent, specially if you have a good airflow and your card has a good cooler. What...like 1 or 4 bucks more depending your OC?

Heat shouldnt be that much of an issue to a certain extent, specially if you got a good airflow and your card has a good cooler. What...like 1 or 4 bucks more depending your OC?

Your point was it's free performance. It's not - it costs increased electricity and heat. In regards to your heat comment, it doesn't matter. It is still producing more heat.

These were non overclocked results, it's beats the 980 by less then 5 fps in most games, the 980 is a overclocking king, the Nano is barely going to be able to OC since it is already running hot. You up the 980 be 100mhz, and boom you are beating the Nano, so IMO the Nano doesn't beat the 980.

The point of the nano is its head to head with the 980 being tiny... I don't get why people don't understand that. It's a high end graphics card that's 6in long. Get that through your head they were able to pack that much power into a card that small.

Your point was it's free performance. It's not - it costs increased electricity and heat. In regards to your heat comment, it doesn't matter. It is still producing more heat.

Ok, yes its not free but lets compare, for example some 970s if you overclock, they tend to reach 980 stock performance ( same goes for the R9 390 and 390x ). Price difference? around 100 to 170 bucks ( depending on the vendor ). I'll gladly let my card run hotter and spend 1 or 4 bucks in electricity, when i get 100~170 worth of performance.

The point of the nano is its head to head with the 980 being tiny... I don't get why people don't understand that. It's a high end graphics card that's 6in long. Get that through your head they were able to pack that much power into a card that small.

The problem is that these people are upset that their Maxwell cards are not dx12 or VR ready, so they need an outlet for their frustration after being taken advantage of by Nvidia.

The easiest targets are niche products that use future tech that is months and years ahead of their current gaming GPU.

There is no rational argument that can calm the anger of someone who bought into the Maxwell hype train, and they certainly are not going to admit they bought a stop gap product.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Ok, yes its not free but lets compare, for example some 970s if you overclock, they tend to reach 980 stock performance ( same goes for the R9 390 and 390x ). Price difference? around 100 to 170 bucks ( depending on the vendor ). I'll gladly let my card run hotter and spend 1 or 4 bucks in electricity, when i get 100~170 worth of performance.

I don't see how it is a orange-to-orange comparison; you are saying compare a overclocked GTX 980 to a stock R9 Nano.

You either compare them both at stock, or both overclocked.

Then again, overclocking mileage will vary. You getting 1400+ MHz does not guarantee somebody else will reach those frequencies as well.

You stated that with a good airflow chassis, and a decent cooler, the GTX 980 heat will not be an issue. Yes, it won't be an issue for the GPU itself, but the excess heat needs to be expelled somewhere -- to your room/house.

What @Godlygamer23 tried to say is, the heat generated by the GPU doesn't just disappear into thin air like nothing happened. It may not reside with your GPU, but it needs to end up somewhere.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

What some of you seem to be forgetting is that this card (the R9 Nano) is NOT meant to be competing with the likes of the 980ti and the 980. Its in a completely different class due to its size. Its meant for MITX Rigs like Steam Machines, Media centers that also double as gaming PCs, LAN Machines, and other PCs that need to be super portable. Price is a little high but not unreasonable for most likely the most powerful card of its class at this time. Also from what Nvidia has already come out with it doesnt seem that they will have a card that can compete with it properly yet and wont for some time. This is a class (CLASS of card not this card in particular because everything in their rigs are currently Green) of card that I could see LMG using for portable workstations and rendering machines. If it were meant to compete with the TOP end of the flagship class it would be much different.

Rant aside I am very excited to see what aftermarket card manufacturers could do with this little monster. Seems AMD has finally come ahead on something and I hope they can take this niche and make it mainstream as too be able to gobble up enough funds to make there next series even better.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

The point of the nano is its head to head with the 980 being tiny... I don't get why people don't understand that. It's a high end graphics card that's 6in long. Get that through your head they were able to pack that much power into a card that small

Yes, just how Maxwell were able to pack such a performance with such a little tdp compared to previous generations etc ( back en 2014 ). Innovation is great for both companies and the real winners in the end are the consumers.

The problem is that these people are upset that their Maxwell cards are not dx12 or VR ready, so they need an outlet for their frustration after being taken advantage of by Nvidia.

The easiest targets are niche products that use future tech that is months and years ahead of their current gaming GPU.

There is no rational argument that can calm the anger of someone who bought into the Maxwell hype train, and they certainly are not going to admit they bought a stop gap product.

Oh dude that was spot on. I am frustrated with the fact that Maxwell doesnt support async compute, but that was just 1 benchmark and hopefully by the time DX12 ( dont really care about VR ) goes "mainstream" ill get another gpu or something ( thats how i try to make myself feel better ).

I don't see how it is a orange-to-orange comparison; you are saying compare a overclocked GTX 980 to a stock R9 Nano.

You either compare them both at stock, or both overclocked.

Then again, overclocking mileage will vary. You getting 1400+ MHz does not guarantee somebody else will reach those frequencies as well.

You stated that with a good airflow chassis, and a decent cooler, the GTX 980 heat will not be an issue. Yes, it won't be an issue for the GPU itself, but the excess heat needs to be expelled somewhere -- to your room/house.

What @Godlygamer23 tried to say is, the heat generated by the GPU doesn't just disappear into thin air like nothing happened. It may not reside with your GPU, but it needs to end up somewhere.

Em dude in Jayztwocent's video ( dunno if you saw it ) its both stock and oc for both cards.

Yes, just how Maxwell were able to pack such a performance with such a little tdp compared to previous generations etc ( back en 2014 ). Innovation is great for both companies and the real winners in the end are the consumers.

Oh dude that was spot on. I am frustrated with the fact that Maxwell doesnt support async compute, but that was just 1 benchmark and hopefully by the time DX12 ( dont really care about VR ) goes "mainstream" ill get another gpu or something ( thats how i try to make myself feel better ).

exactly my point. there's really no other reason for this threads existence, beyond retaliation from people that bought into false hype.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR