R9 Nano, AMD Dissapoints again

ANewFace

CoolerMaster Elite 110. It has issues fitting a GPU over 200 Centimeters. This card is for cases like that.

most cases has issues with GPUs over 200 centimeters... even the Corsair 900D cannot handle that

edit: for you americans out there.. 200 centimeters = roughly 6.6 feet

*sigh* So many people still don't understand the Nano. Just because you don't understand where a product stands and what it was designed for, and just because it's a product that is not ideal for your setup or something you would use, personally, does not make it a "useless" or "pointless" product. It simply means it's not the ideal card for YOU. That's it. It doesn't sit along side the rest of the mainstream cards on the market and shouldn't be compared to them in the same context (as if being installed in a typical ATX system).  

The truth is; it is the best and fastest product for what it was designed for and right now it has no real competition. No other card on the market in this size comes close to the Nano's performance. Yeah, it's priced at a premium, and there's a reason for that. Get over it. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Want the fastest card in the smallest form factor? Pay up. It's as simple as that. 

The majority of the AMD hate taking place on the forums lately is completely unwarranted and from what I've seen, stems from a lack of understanding of the products and/or just plain fanboyism. Objectivity and critical thinking, be damned! apparently.  <_<

this forum in general is so pro-intel and pro-nvidia that at times, it isnt even funny.

No, it does not kill it. It beats it by a little bit at 4K, but does not kill it, especially at this price point.

yup. If you want to "kill" the 980, you must roll with the Fury...

a decent 980 from any of the board partners will cost nearly the same, but still perform worse in most cases..... In DX12, in heavily compute ladened workloads, the Fury will wreck the 980.

Which also brings up a second point...

Raw compute power of the Nano... The R9 Nanos maximum compute power wrecks anything Nvidia has to offer. So in DX12 titles using Async Shaders/compute, the R9 Nano will litterally, and figurativly, take a massive dump on its competition, even some "desktop" sized cards will struggle to match it in those cases...

OP, you are the biggest fucking Nvidia fanboy I have ever seen. That thing kills the 980. Deal with it.

By 3 fps, 980 will crush once overclocked. 3fps is not killing, that is a fanboy thing to say

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

By 3 fps, 980 will crush once overclocked. 3fps is not killing, that is a fanboy thing to say

you're just mad AMD made yet another card that is better then your 980 SC ACX2.0

you're just mad AMD made yet another card that is better then your 980 SC ACX2.0

Except it's not

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

sure, keep telling yourself that then...

but first, try showing that 980 into a cramped case and see how well it OCs... especially since you got a "open cooler".....

Ok the Nano will sometimes beat the 980 in compact cases, but full size, a 980 will destroy

Ok the Nano will sometimes beat the 980 in compact cases, but full size, a 980 will destroy

wait, say what?

oh, but, what was the point of the Nano again? Wasnt the whole point of the thing to stuff it into a cramped case in the first place?

i mean, want ATX case? buy a Fury. Its 100 USD cheaper, performs better, and stock fury beats any stock and even most "aftermarket" 980s with exception of maybe the EVGA Hyrbid and the Kingpin versions, but those are damn expensive.....

wait, say what?

oh, but, what was the point of the Nano again? Wasnt the whole point of the thing to stuff it into a cramped case in the first place?

i mean, want ATX case? buy a Fury. Its 100 USD cheaper, performs better, and stock fury beats any stock and even most "aftermarket" 980s with exception of maybe the EVGA Hyrbid and the Kingpin versions, but those are damn expensive.....

Don't argue with him - it's not worth your time.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Seems like a pretty legit card to me. Seems your biggest complaint is price but your missing the point. It isn't supposed to compete vs the 980 in an atx that's what the fury x is for and is priced accordingly. This is for those niche builds and guess what just like emu thing else in the world being niche cost more (Audi vs VW often same damn car with different price, Lexus vs Toyota, Prada/Gucci vs IDK some other mass bag maker). If you want unique and niche expect to pay more for it. This card being able to beat a 980 is stock form means a little tiny box of a PC could play any game on the market right now with no noticeable difference to a full spec atx PC. Yea benchmarks might show different numbers but set up a full atx next to one of these and play in 1080 (still the most widely used resolution) and people would be able to tell what PC had what hardware and that was the point of the card. So yea impressive.

most cases has issues with GPUs over 200 centimeters... even the Corsair 900D cannot handle that

edit: for you americans out there.. 200 centimeters = roughly 6.6 feet

LOL, I meant Millimeters :)

My bad. 

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

I think AMD did a great job creating a card that has similar or better performance to an 980, but kept the form factor so small. you get the same performance at half the size. If I was building an ultra small rig, this would definitely be my card of choice.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

Doesn't this title seem the tiniest bit clickbaity?

I'll admit the price/performance here is shit, and would be better at ~$552 but it's really good considering its size, TDP, and actual power draw.

could you just stop

we get it, you're an nvidia fan

if you're getting a r9 nano for a full size case then you are an idiot

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

( benchmarks start after 4:30 ) OC benchmarks for both Nano and 980, bam done, GTX 980 beats it ( by a lot in some games ).

( benchmarks start after 4:30 ) OC benchmarks for both Nano and 980, bam done, GTX 980 beats it ( by a lot in some games ).

See, point proven

See, point proven

I find it interesting when someone said that the Nano destroy the 980. 

- Nano is more expensive

-Its a cherry picked core

The 980 beats it easily when overclocked, once again. Maxwell achitecture screams to be overclocked, you wont dump 450+ bucks to just stay at reference speeds. Its free performance yoo!.

They both have different uses, YES, i agree. But if we compare ( since some of you are bashing the OP left and right, because he's defending his 980, when he's actually right), 980 goes up even to the Fury/Fury X in some titles at 1080p and 1440p

I find it interesting when someone said that the Nano destroy the 980. 

- Nano is more expensive

-Its a cherry picked core

The 980 beats it easily when overclocked, once again. Maxwell achitecture screams to be overclocked, you wont dump 450+ bucks to just stay at reference speeds. Its free performance yoo!.

They both have different uses, YES, i agree. But if we compare ( since some of you are bashing the OP left and right, because he's defending his 980, when he's actually right), 980 goes up even to the Fury/Fury X in some titles at 1080p and 1440p

I would - I don't OC anything - I'd get a 980 and keep it @ stock.

Please - put a 980 open air design in a case that can barely hold it and OC it - I want to see it thermalthrottle like a boss

If 980 could reach the Fury X then the 980 Ti would be pointless in every way possible. Stop defending the fanboy before you get called one too.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I would - I don't OC anything - I'd get a 980 and keep it @ stock.

Please - put a 980 open air design in a case that can barely hold it and OC it - I want to see it thermalthrottle like a boss

If 980 could reach the Fury X then the 980 Ti would be pointless in every way possible. Stop defending the fanboy before you get called one too.

I am pretty sure I'll be able to get a decent/mild OC out of any open air card, even in a cramped up space.

Dude, did you actually see the benchmark video i posted about Jayztwocents? because clearly you didnt, the Gtx 980 beats the Fury X in Gta V. 

So if I dont agree with what you say then i am wrong? when i clearly have facts backing me up?, thats funny dude!.

I am not fanboy"ing", i am just agreeing with the OP, he's right. He stated "If you OC the gtx 980 ( which everyone will oc an expensive card ) it will be the Nano", and you know what? It does!!

Dude, did you actually see the benchmark video i posted about Jayztwocents? cuz clearly you didnt, the Gtx 980 beat the Fury X in Gta V. 

So if I dont agree with what you say then i am wrong? when i clearly have facts backing me up?, thats funny dude!.

I did watch it today, yes. But I also know what hardware cannucks' benches showed. Nano beats the 980 by about 8%. Fury beats the 980 by about 15% and Fury X by about 23-24%. 980 Ti @ stock is neck and neck with the Fury X - once you OC - it's about 15% faster.

I did watch it today, yes. But I also know what hardware cannucks' benches showed. Nano beats the 980 by about 8%. Fury beats the 980 by about 15% and Fury X by about 23-24%. 980 Ti @ stock is neck and neck with the Fury X - once you OC - it's about 15% faster.

Hardwarecanucks is a stock benchmark video ( Those Fury cards beat it by that % when its a stock 980, OCing is free performance and i am pretty sure lots of people will oc their cards ). The OP, once again stated "If you OC the 980 you will get better performance than the R9 Nano" and it fact it does. I am defending that point with facts.

Since you saw it and we're talking about OC benchmarks here, in Jayz's video ( OC ) the Gtx 980 ( OC) got 73 fps,54 and 32 for 1080,1440 and 4k respectively and lets see the Fury X ( OC )  67, 52 fps and 33, Thats only in Witcher 3 and despite you watching it, you still dare to say the Gtx 980 doesnt beat it, In that game and probably others like GTA V.  (I am not saying the gtx 980 is better than the Fury X overall)

But yeah dude i respect your point of view and I wont try to preach you out of it, I gave you my researched facts. Dont call the op a fanboy when he's actually speaking the truth.

Hardwarecanucks is a stock benchmark video ( Those Fury cards beat it by that % when its a stock 980, OCing is free performance and i am pretty sure lots of people will oc their cards ). The OP, once again stated "If you OC the 980 you will get better performance than the R9 Nano" and it fact it does. I am defending that point with facts.

Since you saw it and we're talking about OC benchmarks here, in Jayz's video ( OC ) the Gtx 980 ( OC) got 73 fps,54 and 32 for 1080,1440 and 4k respectively and lets see the Fury X ( OC )  67, 52 fps and 33, Thats only in Witcher 3 and despite you watching it, you still dare to say the Gtx 980 doesnt beat it?

But yeah dude i respect your point of view and I wont try to preach you out of it, I gave you my researched facts. Dont call the op a fanboy when he's actually speaking the truth.

Oh dear. . . I think you should re-read my post. I said that @ stock things are different and they truely are. You see - the people who OC are actually less than those who don't. I personally know only 1 person, out of about 10 that OCs his stuff. The rest are afraid to do so since they're afraid of bricking their stuff. I am one of those people - I prefer stock since I am 100% sure it works and if it breaks it's not my fault.

Also - account for silicon lottery. A friend had a 650 Ti that would crash even if you raised core by 20 MHz - had to raise voltage by 100 mV just to get 30 MHz OC on it. Silicon lottery decides everything. A guy on the forums got a reference 290X to 1180 core @ 85-90*C on the reference cooler.

No, it does not kill it. It beats it by a little bit at 4K, but does not kill it, especially at this price point.

I never mentioned price. I was talking strictly about performance and this thing fucking buries the 980. I'm using a 980 and I love it.This Nano is on another level though. Overpriced is not fair to say either. It's a super powerful card of that size. It's an amazing feat in retrospect.

The Nano OC'd beats the stock Fury so nah...that 980 is fucked! Stop spreading nonsense.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

I never mentioned price. I was talking strictly about performance and this thing fucking buries the 980. I'm using a 980 and I love it.This Nano is on another level though. Overpriced is not fair to say either. It's a super powerful card of that size. It's an amazing feat in retrospect.

The Nano OC'd beats the stock Fury so nah...that 980 is fucked! Stop spreading nonsense.

And this is for you my dear friend

Oh dear. . . I think you should re-read my post. I said that @ stock things are different and they truely are. You see - the people who OC are actually less than those who don't. I personally know only 1 person, out of about 10 that OCs his stuff. The rest are afraid to do so since they're afraid of bricking their stuff. I am one of those people - I prefer stock since I am 100% sure it works and if it breaks it's not my fault.

Also - account for silicon lottery. A friend had a 650 Ti that would crash even if you raised core by 20 MHz - had to raise voltage by 100 mV just to get 30 MHz OC on it. Silicon lottery decides everything. A guy on the forums got a reference 290X to 1180 core @ 85-90*C on the reference cooler.

And you know that lots of custom board partners gpus are basically already Oc'ed way past the reference point? by like 3~6 fps depending the vendor. So if you buy lets say G1 or SSC, you're already set when it comes to OC if you dont wanna try to Oc it for yourself.

If we go by the silicon lottery statement, isn't the Nano chip cherry picked ( which gives it an edge over any other 980 )? at least thats the general consensus.