3rd party charging cables, good or bad?

NVinn97

I've heard a lot of back and forth on this topic. I'm hoping to figure out once and for all if it is ok to use a 3rd party charging cable? Asking because I bought a Samsung Galaxy tablet and noticed it said to only use Samsung branded cables. Also wondering about the use of a third party lightning cable? I've been using a Monoprice cable for my iPhone and it seems to work fine. I assume as long as the power output is the same it shouldn't matter what brand of cable you use, correct? 

Adding a bit to the question, what about the chargers themselves and will car chargers damage devices?  

Cables are fine I believe. It's the actual third-party chargers (chargers, not battery banks) I'd stay away from, personally.

Cables are fine I believe. It's the actual third-party chargers (chargers, not battery banks) I'd stay away from, personally.

Why?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Why?

I don't have any sources on this to give you, but I've seen a handful of cases where phone batteries would expand and even catch something (or the phone) on fire while charging on a third-party charger, and not one from the manufacturer.

But they were all Samsung devices now that I think about it.

I don't think that cables matter, it's not like they work as converters and change electricity (struggling with the proper term here) afaik.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I don't have any sources on this to give you, but I've seen a handful of cases where phone batteries would expand and even catch something (or the phone) on fire while charging on a third-party charger, and not one from the manufacturer.

I really do hope they were all Samsung devices, since I bought a random charger for my sisters tablet...

And a Nokia charger on a phone of another brand doesn't count as 3rd party, right?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I really do hope they were all Samsung devices, since I bought a random charger for my sisters tablet...

And a Nokia charger on a phone of another brand doesn't count as 3rd party, right?

Technically no, but it's a charger for a different device.

I would look out for the quality of the cable itself, the wiring is all the same. Just be aware a cheap cable may use cheap plastic/rubber and will wear out and expose the wiring.

You know what, I had a problem with a 3rd part charger. I bough a charger that plugs directly into the wall outlet. I was charging my phone and then it wouldn't charge past 80%. On the screen it said "only use the charger that came with the phone," or something similar to that. It's not generally a problem as I only use that wall charger when I'm not at home, but just weird to see that.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

even apple was worried about 3rd party chargers and offered a trade in program for there ones (free)

Cables = Cheap price = cheap cable

meaning it will break easier.