30fps battle, PC vs console

Hi guys! I’m a new PC gamer switching from console for like a month. Currently being very satisfied with my 4790k+970 and definitely do not regret joining the PC master race lol.

But there are some problems which I cannot understand no matter how hard I google it, its the 30fps battle between console and PC. Yes, 30fps is crap, but when I game on console 30fps it feels a lot smoother than PC cap 30fps, for example, shadow of mordor/GTA….PC 30fps just feel extremely laggy for me. Oh, I run both console gaming on the same monitor, asus mx279h.

I heard somebody saying that its the matter of motion blur, I have turned motion blur to the highest yet still a lot lagger than console gaming. I then realized it’s about the monitor refresh rate. For example, I tried running GTA5 in 50fps in both 50hz and 60hz scenarios. 50fps GTA5 feels a lot smoother in 50hz than that of 60hz. I then wonder if 30fps gaming on 60hz monitor feels a lot lagger. While I do not understand how console gaming makes gaming at 30fps smoother because console should not be changing the monitor refresh rate from 60 to 30hz right?

I also heard of people praising the godly g-sync technology, they say 30fps gaming on a g-sync monitor as silky smooth. I currently play PC games on my 60hz 1080p asus vx279h and whenever the frame rate drops below 60fps it feels very laggy. Like when the fps drops from 60 to 57 it feels very lag for me. (v-sync is on to prevent screen tearing)

Thanks guys! So far being very pleased with PC gaming, gaming at 60fps is irreversible, I am not able to play GTA5 on my ps4 anymore haha. And my english is bad if you guys do not understand at all I will try hard to explain. Cheers guys.

Hi guys! I’m a new PC gamer switching from console for like a month. Currently being very satisfied with my 4790k+970 and definitely do not regret joining the PC master race lol.

But there are some problems which I cannot understand no matter how hard I google it, its the 30fps battle between console and PC. Yes, 30fps is crap, but when I game on console 30fps it feels a lot smoother than PC cap 30fps, for example, shadow of mordor/GTA….PC 30fps just feel extremely laggy for me. Oh, I run both console gaming on the same monitor, asus mx279h.

I heard somebody saying that its the matter of motion blur, I have turned motion blur to the highest yet still a lot lagger than console gaming. I then realized it’s about the monitor refresh rate. For example, I tried running GTA5 in 50fps in both 50hz and 60hz scenarios. 50fps GTA5 feels a lot smoother in 50hz than that of 60hz. I then wonder if 30fps gaming on 60hz monitor feels a lot lagger. While I do not understand how console gaming makes gaming at 30fps smoother because console should not be changing the monitor refresh rate from 60 to 30hz right?

I also heard of people praising the godly g-sync technology, they say 30fps gaming on a g-sync monitor as silky smooth. I currently play PC games on my 60hz 1080p asus vx279h and whenever the frame rate drops below 60fps it feels very laggy. Like when the fps drops from 60 to 57 it feels very lag for me. (v-sync is on to prevent screen tearing)

Thanks guys! So far being very pleased with PC gaming, gaming at 60fps is irreversible, I am not able to play GTA5 on my ps4 anymore haha. Cheers guys.

Aren't consoles locked to 30 fps?

consoles force vsync or lock to 30fps, turn on vsync on your pc.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

because devs work with games specifically for the console, they can optimize them better due to the ports etc.

the point of having a pc is not to get 30fps anyway so it doesnt really matter all that much.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

yes, I tried to lock my fps to 30 in PC but still a lot lagger than console

have turned v-sync to 30fps already

They have lower resolutions (well, the Xbox One does, that would make a big difference). I think in some games consoles can go above 30fps but they have Vsync on so it will cut it at 30 FPS. But to be honest some games on consoles do have lag now and again and their graphics are DRAMATICALLY decreased compared to PC.

Also, they can make their games console specific and fine tune it to fit that hardware whereas PC has different hardware so it may not run smoothly on all PC's.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

PC MASTER RACE THAT IS WHY. Serious note, I joined the master race a month ago with a 4460 and 970, I love it.

welcome my friend, to the dark side of the force.

cuukher4j893flvyq2kwx3y1m.275x350x1.jpg

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

yes, I tried to lock my fps to 30 in PC but still a lot lagger than console

have turned v-sync to 30fps already

then there is only one thing left, controls. Mouse is A TON more responsive, which makes 30 fps feel slow when you move around with a mouse.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

PC MASTER RACE THAT IS WHY. Serious note, I joined the master race a month ago with a 4460 and 970, I love it.

haha welcome to the pcmasterrace......bought the 4460 and change to the 4790k

games like ACU and gta5 destroys my 4460 lol.....simply cannot handle when driving quick on road

i find it funny when console nubs are like "mate we now have 1080p" and im like erm..... low/medium settings kekeke.

then there is only one thing left, controls. Mouse is A TON more responsive, which makes 30 fps feel slow when you move around with a mouse.

not exactly, i use controller to game on PC but thanks man

haha welcome to the pcmasterrace......bought the 4460 and change to the 4790k

games like ACU and gta5 destroys my 4460 lol.....simply cannot handle when driving quick on road

I'll take it any day over xbox one. :D

not exactly, i use controller to game on PC but thanks man

if they are both stable 30fps they will be the exact same. Something is obviously not the same in your setup. 

Spoiler

no. they often have dips too.

have you ever watched a fps comparison? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

if they are both stable 30fps they will be the exact same. Something is obviously not the same in your setup. 

no he doesnt ive also tried it, 30fps on pc does not feel the same as console, controller or mouse.

you are forgetting they have different ports and all that good stuff, theyre optimized differently.

no he doesnt ive also tried it, 30fps on pc does not feel the same as console, controller or mouse.

you are forgetting they have different ports and all that good stuff, theyre optimized differently.

frames are frames though. Both pc and consoles drop frames, both of them lag. I don't see how it can be different.

Spoiler

Thanks guys! So far being very pleased with PC gaming, gaming at 60fps is irreversible, I am not able to play GTA5 on my ps4 anymore haha. And my english is bad if you guys do not understand at all I will try hard to explain. Cheers guys.

Most of the issues with PC gaming is due to OS default configurations and GPU driver settings, to fix this you should use Nvidia Inspector to set game profiles for all your games, this tutorial will explain how to set the game profiles, then you will want to research the netsh int tcp commands and pay special attention to this command-----> netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp and how to implement it on your given OS.

In your Nvidia Control Panel and in the options in game, set the following to off...FXAA, triple buffering and vertical sync and set you GPU to the dedicated PhysX processor.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

60FPS or bust

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

frames are frames though. Both pc and consoles drop frames, both of them lag. I don't see how it can be different.

of course it can be different my friend, just because theyre the same game doesnt mean they have been made the same through the whole process, why do you think they make games like gta for the pc after the release of the console ones? because they have to modify.

well why cap it at all? the reason it could be laggy is because the tv that you played on when you played console could be 30hz and the monitor you are using will most likely be 60hz

Can confirm. Playing in front of a big TV is certainly different. Even though I was playing at sub 30fps modded skyrim on my old Samung series 7 gamer, it was more playable on a big screen rather than through my 120hz 17.3 inch panel. Was using m+kb for both. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Welcome to the Masterrace. May your former Peasantry be forgiven ;)

30FPS on PC feel worse because you expirienced more FPS bevore, which is impossible on Consoles.

A FPS drop from 60 to 57 shouldn´t feel laggy at all.

Gsync manage the Refreshrate of your Display in realtime. It makes the Displays hz even with the fps from the Graphicscard.

Since i have a Gsync Display (IPS 1440p 144Hz), i never want go back. Smooth, lag and tearing free. Its absolutly perfect.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

well why cap it at all? the reason it could be laggy is because the tv that you played on when you played console could be 30hz and the monitor you are using will most likely be 60hz

Crappy optimized games like ACU cannot run on constant 60fps lol

my 4790k is sitting at 90% CPU usage

Welcome to the Masterrace. May your former Peasnatry be forgiven ;)

30FPS on PC feel worse because you expirienced more FPS bevore, which is impossible on Consoles.

A FPS drop from 60 to 57 shouldn´t feel laggy at all.

Gsync manage the Refreshrate of your Display in realtime. It makes the Displays hz even with the fps from the Graphicscard.

Since i have a Gsync Display (IPS 1440p 144Hz), i never want go back. Smooth, lag and tearing free. Its absolutly perfect.

no, i don't think so, my monitor has 2 HDMI port and I plug in both my ps4 and pc into it, switching from ps4 and PC makes great different even both in 30fps

Im sure my PC is 30fps, no frame dropping:(

Just don't know why I can feel the 3-4 fps drop from my monitor :(

its the typical monitor, no g-sync, IPS 

Yes i know, but considering my vx279h is only 9 months old and g-sync monitor is expensive....:(