Do I need a sound card for my motherboard (ASUS RIVE)?

I have an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, and I am currently using the onboard sound. I think it sounds better than good, but my current headphones are awful (Used Razer Carcharias), so I couldn't really say for sure. Tomorrow, I am planning on buying the Sennheiser HD 558. I bet this question is asked a lot, but is a sound card really necessary? I want a great music listening experience with some different genres. I listen to mostly rock/dance/house, some occasional reggae/hip-hop (Gorillaz style hip-hop), and classical. I am also planning to play games with these. I do not consider myself an extreme audiophile, but I do want an excellent audio experience. Also, if you could recommend a better pair of headphones than the HD 558, but in the same price range, ~$50 more tops.

Spoiler

Yes definitely get a sound card. I recommend Essence STX if you are an audiophile. It's costs about 200$. Buy a Xonar Phoebus if your'e a gamer. It's also 200$. If these are too expensive get a Xonar DGX it has a headphone amp or get any soundcard from asus.  

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Thanks for the quick replies, I was considering getting something like the Xonar DG, priced at $30, is is worth it? I know it's not going to be what Assassin suggested, but will it make enough difference from onboard to be worth it? I would prefer for the sound card to not cost more than the headphones themselves, I would like to stay under $250-300.

Spoiler

Thanks for the quick replies, I was considering getting something like the Xonar DG, priced at $30, is is worth it? I know it's not going to be what Assassin suggested, but will it make enough difference from onboard to be worth it? I would prefer for the sound card to not cost more than the headphones themselves, I would like to stay under $250-300.

The DG is PCI, you'd want a DGX which is PCI-E 1x.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

The DG is PCI, you'd want a DGX which is PCI-E 1x.

Exactly +1

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

558's are pretty efficient, I'd just stick with onboard unless you get popping or hiss, then get an external dac/amp.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Although it may be out of your budget(depends on where you go), the ZxR from Creative is a good option. Guru3D gave it a Top Pick award and said it's the new champ on the block when it comes to PCIe surround cards. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/soundblaster_zxr_review,1.html

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Read the FAQ.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

558's are pretty efficient, I'd just stick with onboard unless you get popping or hiss, then get an external dac/amp.

Read the FAQ.

These are the people you should be listening to.

These are the people you should be listening to.

Well, someone told me I didn't need a sound card years ago, and then I went and got an Essence STX later anyways.  I had to learn the hard way, and so will a good number of people.  I just hope to change the minds of a few, and I won't tell you to listen to me.  It's like trying to convince Sanjay Gupta that Marijuana actually DOES have medical benefits:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/index.html

and he's a freaking doctor!  Bias is everywhere.  I just put my two cents in and see what happens.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Read the FAQ.

I'm only asking this again because half of the people I asked said the RIVE was good enough on-board, and some people tell me to buy a sound card worth more than the headphones themselves. I just wanted a straight answer for my exact setup, I know some motherboards have very different onboard quality.

Spoiler

I'm only asking this again because half of the people I asked said the RIVE was good enough on-board, and some people tell me to buy a sound card worth more than the headphones themselves. I just wanted a straight answer for my exact setup, I know some motherboards have very different onboard quality.

The Asus Rampage IV Extreme has the Realtek ALC898. That's Realtek's highest end audio solution. Like @t0wer said, if you hear interference then sure, get a soundcard (or in my opinion, an external DAC/AMP such as the FiiO E10).

The world of audio is filled with placebo effects and this is one of those instances where you might just think it's a big difference because you have heard people say it is a difference.

I'm only asking this again because half of the people I asked said the RIVE was good enough on-board, and some people tell me to buy a sound card worth more than the headphones themselves.

So your confused because some people tell you to buy more stuff, and others tell you not to?  Just think about the two points of view presented to you in your quote up there.  Does one of them seem, I don't know, "OFF" to you?

I have a 700 dollar DAC/Amp combo, and I am telling you your on board audio solution is just fine. First ask yourself, do you want to enjoy your music? Are you already enjoying your music? If yes, you don't need a soundcard.

There are options out there if you want "a cleaner signal" or "improved headroom" or some other delicious concoction of words, but soundcards they are not.