UltraWide Festival 2015

Several of the winners' videos are 1:25 to 4:00+ long.  So, only Linus required them to be 0:30?

Apparently, he really should have made that clear.

arghhhhh.. Well better luck next time I guess...

Hopefully they have another competition next year :) but for now time to continue with my 1680x1050p screen :) lol

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

I was really suprised by not seing your work on the site. Of course, I'm extremely happy that I got in, but still - in my opinion you should have made it too. Especially because of all the good stuff that you do for others.

Thank you for saying that. I was excited for an opportunity to work with Linus, honestly. The monitor would have been neat and the computer extremely helpful, but the fact that I most wanted to work with him and it didn't make it to his list was really gutting. I didn't even bother submitting anything to Lewis or Jahova.

Hi everyone! 
Finally the long waited confirmation of the 30 finalists as come, and congratulations to them all!!  :lol: If they made it, it certainly was because they deserved it ,nothing is achieved without effort, and for that i tip my hat to you guys!
The only thing that saddens me, was the fact that, i think that for future competitions the inspirers as well as the promoter must give better information to the participants, as well as being more cohesive between them about the regulations, because it seemed to me that the information stipulated about maximum lenght, deadlines and what needed to be included in the videos, was not well specified and given, by both the inspirers and the ultrawide festival website. 
And it ended up in diferent length videos, excluded details, and late (or not) entries, as well as a lot of confusion between us all.
Please don´t take this as a sore loser, I am sad yes, but not because I din’t won or think my video is better than others, it is just that i made the best video that I could make with what I thought was the criteria and time that I had left, and I made mine in, give or take , one day and a half because I saw the competition in the 23th of September and supposedly had till the 25th, and maybe, JUST MAYBE! , if I had all the right information (and i did looked for it!) I would have made things differently (or not!) as well as others I’m sure!
Sorry for the long post and once again congratulations to all the winners, really i mean it! ;) 

P.S: Sorry for the bad English  :P 

suFZ9XZ.jpg

Get a chance to win one of 30 curved UltraWide monitors from LG (34UC87C), and even a USD$10,000 Dream Setup to one grand prize winner!

Entry is simple:

1. Create a video about your current setup (30 seconds max) before September 25.

2. Tweet that video to @LinusTech on Twitter (or post it down below)

3. Submit a link to that post on www.ultrawidefestival.com

And that's it!

Keep in mind that entries close September 25. No late entries accepted!

Have fun and BE CREATIVE ^_^

UPDATE: There are no geographical or age restrictions. Anyone can win. Have fun!!!

Well, congrats to the winners. Although I lost, I think my cartoon has a future as a series, and since I won´t be restricted by time or theme, it will be surely better than my participation.

For those who didn't see my last post, here is the video again.

Thanks to everyone who participated. It was really really hard for me to pick out the winners and honestly if I had 30 monitors to give out myself I could have easily found 30 deserving people :(

I want to clarify a couple of points

1. I *DID* say the submission requirements may vary for the other YouTubers and I didn't judge anything longer than 30 seconds.

2. A huge thing for me was presenting your rig in an entertaining and creative way, so all of our top 25 entries have been watched by at least 2 members of our staff and by me at least 5x to ensure that it didn't just stand out to me the first time, but also after repeat viewing.

One of the reasons I don't run these contests more often is that there can only be so many winners and I hate seeing all of that work go into something in hopes of winning only to have it not happen, but if it helps at all I genuinely enjoyed watching all the entries and I plan to go through and re-watch a good number of them now that the stress of judging them is over.

Linus 

All of Linus's picks were clearly very good at making videos. A little disappointed that there weren't any people that maybe made a bad video but you could tell they put in some effort. I'm watching Lew's and one of his pics is a terrible video of just a guy talking and then telling us he will buy a nice new Mac if he wins the $10,000. Glad to see so far that you don't have to be good at making videos to win; BUT A MAC?!?

Thanks to everyone who participated. It was really really hard for me to pick out the winners and honestly if I had 30 monitors to give out myself I could have easily found 30 deserving people :(

1. I *DID* say the submission requirements may vary for the other YouTubers and I didn't judge anything longer than 30 seconds.

2. A huge thing for me was presenting your rig in an entertaining and creative way, so all of our top 25 entries have been watched by at least 2 members of our staff and by me at least 5x to ensure that it didn't just stand out to me the first time, but also after repeat viewing.

One of the reasons I don't run these contests more often is that there can only be so many winners and I hate seeing all of that work go into something in hopes of winning only to have it not happen, but if it helps at all I genuinely enjoyed watching all the entries and I plan to go through and re-watch a good number of them now that the stress of judging them is over.

Linus 

Can we hope to see an honorable mention during the next WAN show? Im curious if mine even came close I guess. lol

Linus 

So 31 seconds are instant DQ? Youtube does that you know :( 

So 31 seconds are instant DQ? Youtube does that you know :(

No, he tweeted while judging that 31 seconds was okay.

Linus 

I´m glad to see that you took time to clarify those issues, as it may have been our fault as well ,and sure didn't want to be in you shoes these days, but nonetheless i still think that it is something to improve next time, "you" and us both!

And i *DID* say NEXT TIME!!  

THANK YOU Linus for the oportunity and time you gave us , because as you said those kind of contest are LITERALLY hope to a lot of us, as i am sure you can relate, but as any competition, there are winners and losers and we all must cope with it, you included! :D haha

And you sure did make some happy dudes today  :) So, keep them coming!

Once again thank you and congrats to all the winners, keep the good work, and see you next time! (hopefully soone) ;) 

I´m glad to see that you took time to clarify those issues, as it may have been our fault as well ,and sure didn't want to be in you shoes these days, but nonetheless i still think that it is something to improve next time, "you" and us both!

And i *DID* say NEXT TIME!!  

THANK YOU Linus for the oportunity and time you gave us , because as you said those kind of contest are LITERALLY hope to a lot of us, as i am sure you can relate, but as any competition, there are winners and losers and we all must cope with it, you included! :D haha

And you sure did make some happy dudes today  :) So, keep them coming!

Once again thank you and congrats to all the winners, keep the good work, and see you next time! (hopefully soone) ;) 

^This. Couldn't have put it better man.

dude. that one guy Linus picked that did that "SEE YOU IN THE FUTURE!!" video was awesome. i loved that video and that was the first time i've seen it. i would not have had a chance against that one. 

Linus 

It was definitely fun making the video!

Yes I have a list

I enjoy making entries for these competitions whether it's a winning entry or not at least I gained a new video editing skill either way :D thanks Linus for the competition.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Yes I have a list

Like 2-3 Raps won and a Cake didnt... Im so sad rn, my hands were stained red for days bc of the dye

Like 2-3 Raps won and a Cake didnt... Im so sad rn, my hands were stained red for days bc of the dye

I know exactly how you feel. I'm surprised I didn't comment on your video before. I certainly remember watching it and thinking it was pretty cool.

I am sorry but when I see that this is a winning submission

and this is not 

it makes me want to rage quit from competitions like this. I spent days on my video I had to learn how to write scripts for my novint falcon and how to get the lights on my laptop to dance to that music and make my own music and had to get that hand lite enough for the drone to pick it up and not crash into the ground (so many dead props). But whatever now I know how to do all that stuff. and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  right? I just keep missing 100% of the shots I do take.    #butthurt

http://i.imgur.com/DqIJ5Ex.jpg

I am just going to get drunk and listen to Shop Vac by  Jonathan Coulton on loop for the next 9 hours and soak in my failure 

Linus 

I was definitely crushed that I didn't win. The coolest part would have been winning and building a setup together with Linus. Especially since I'm moving back to America soon and I will be needing a new setup. But, it was fun making it and everything so I really do appreciate the opportunity to win. Can't wait for more opportunities. Congratulations to the winners!

Congrats to all the winners. I must say, the way the way I interpreted the point of the contest, I was surprised to see some of the videos chosen as winners as well as many submissions I saw that didn't make it. 

Based off the analytics, I feel like I didn't even make the initial cut though  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwDZWLGNWk

Congrats to all the winners. I must say, the way the way I interpreted the point of the contest, I was surprised to see some of the videos chosen as winners as well as many submissions I saw that didn't make it.

Based off the analytics, I feel like I didn't even make the initial cut though :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwDZWLGNWk

I wouldn't worry about it too much competitions always have hundreds of entries so the chances of winning aren't massive even with this many prizes i know exactly where I went wrong with my entry so next time I will take a different approach I put all the creativity into the build/setup when really all that mattered was that the video was creative and funny and had video effects I need video editing lessons lol :P here's mine http://youtu.be/bnyYrum-mS4

Custom PC:

All of the winners had amazing videos with lots of major editing and graphics. Mine simply had different shots that I spliced together in Windows Movie Maker and I thought mine was decent. This leads me to my question. Where/how do you learn to make such good videos? I'm out of college now and never took any kind of media classes. Did you guys learn any of this in school? What camera's and software do you guys use? How do you create these crazy cool animations and effects? One of the winners has a YouTube channel and he stepped on a monitor in the video and flew off. How do you move things around in the video? Do you have to use a green screen? I'm also interested in knowing how much time did you guys invest into making your videos?

didnt LG mention another prize for whoever guessed the closest to how many entries there were? they were supposed to announce that today, but nothin i can see on their site.

I think only the entries selected by Linus are good. The ones selected by Lewis and Javoha  are so dull and boring. There are many entries who really deserved.

They should have given proper instructions. Only Linus was the one who made a detailed video of what had to be done. So most of us assumed that the 30 sec video limit and creativity thing is valid for the Lewis and Javoha also.

I am not writing this because I lost but after watching such long and boring videos getting selected, I think it's unfair for the rest who  worked so hard for their videos to be good and within the time limit and lastly in the application page also it was mentioned that all the entries must show there current setup and some of the videos in selected list did not. 

I am sorry if i offended anyone with this post (and my english) and Congrats to all the winners!  :) 

Linus you really did a great job.

Btw My Entry: http://bit.ly/1NYMMOQ